30 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39533 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:53 AM

Not even a full week after Biden took the reins and we've already got stories popping up. I'll lead off with this one since I think it's going to be a repeating story.

Trump is going after one of the disloyal peons, in this case Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp. This is the guy who endangered all of his people over COVID for Trump but he wouldn't illegally steal an election and commit treason so he's got to go.

Former President Donald Trump, still licking his wounds in the wake of his electoral defeat and unprecedented second impeachment, is reportedly out for blood — and Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp ( R ) is number one on his hit list.

Trump’s advisers told the New York Times on Monday that the ex-president plans on wielding his still-overwhelming political capital in the GOP to influence the party’s operations, which also means exacting revenge against the Republicans who did not sufficiently bow to his agenda.

Kemp, who is up for reelection in 2022, is reportedly Trump’s biggest target after the governor failed to help him steal Georgia’s votes from now-President Joe Biden during the 2020 election.

As such, Trump is expected to try to torpedo Kemp in Georgia’s next gubernatorial race, according to the Times.

Before Congress officially ratified the votes and sealed Biden’s victory on January 6, Trump had relentlessly attacked Kemp and Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger on Twitter after they refused to back the President’s lies about voter fraud.

Trump also reportedly plans on similarly going after the House Republicans, especially Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY), who voted to impeach him after he encouraged his supporters to attack the Capitol in a violent siege that caused five deaths.

Side meet thorn.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39533 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:59 AM

Trump will likely be involved in the Ohio Republican primaries especially now that Sen. Rob Portman is retiring but also because Gov. Mike Dewine is also up for reelection. I'm sure Trump is envisioning trashing Dewine before adoring crowds and being a state-level kingmaker. It remains to be seen if they'll show or if a sufficient number of the MAGAts are completely disillusioned as reality has reared its head ... bigly. Trump loyalist, Senior House Treason Caucus member (but I repeat myself), and sexual predator defender Jim Jordan may top the list to go after one of those two seats.

After Senator Rob Portman (R-OH) announced his unexpected retirement Monday, seemingly every Ohio politician with a pulse blasted out a statement thanking him for his service and teasing the possibility of a run.

One politician remained mum, but was on the tip of most observers’ tongues: Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH).

The rightwing politician known for his hatred of blazers and devotion to former President Donald Trump was thought to be considering a primary challenge to Ohio Governor Mike DeWine ® who is, like Portman’s seat, up in 2022. The open Senate seat may be even more attractive.

“He’s the loudest and best known of the contenders,” said Tom Sutton, a professor of political science at Baldwin Wallace University outside of Cleveland.

“On the Republican side, likely at the top of the list is Representative Jim Jordan,” agreed Nancy Martorano Miller, an associate professor of political science at the University of Dayton.

Jordan has become one of Trump’s staunchest defenders, using his committee positions to take on opponents to the former President’s agenda in a raised, adversarial, auctioneer-like cross examination. Most recently, he’s become a lead purveyor of the election fraud conspiracy theory, only two weeks ago having to be browbeat by his Democratic colleagues into grudgingly admitting that President Joe Biden won the election.

Were Jordan to immediately claim his front runner status, it would speak volumes about the lack of Republican introspection after the Capitol insurrection, and the party’s greater apathy towards purging Trumpism from its ranks.

The party’s embrace of Jordan’s brand of extremism, though, may prove to be a boon to Democrats in the state, who have lost ground from the days when Ohio was considered a national bellwether.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:45 AM

Imagine it's 2022. Covid-19 is in the rear view mirror. The country became serious in dealing with the pandemic sometime in 2020 and managed to overcome the nightmare. The economy is rollicking. The pent up demand and the savings waiting to be unleashed have been unshackled. People are generally mingling with each other, enjoying concerts, going to movie theaters, taking in a play or two, restaurants are busy again... Twitter still adheres to the common meaning of the phrase permanent ban.

And then comes Trump...

"Election was stolen... I won by a landslide... Dems and Dominion rigged voting...Antifa did the riots... Liz Cheney is a cunt RINO...the Republican governor is a traitor because he wore masks, worse beseeched others to do so...Giuliani is a bleeding cunt... Mike Pence is a slimy traitor...I'm the best President ever... Love me, love me, love me please! Y M C A!"

Do you think people in OH are going to say "Oh I want that fever dream again!"?

On a serious note: until Trump suffers the same fate as Sarah Palin, i.e., lose the ability to sway election results in favor of the candidates he supports, he will loom large. By 2022 summer I hope the country will have moved on.

#4 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39533 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:55 PM

Probabilistic, on 26 January 2021 - 10:45 AM, said:

Do you think people in OH are going to say "Oh I want that fever dream again!"?

I wish I could confidently say "no" but I can't. Let's not forget that there will be 2 years of Faux News, Newsmax, and OAN all with the business model of dealing the opiate of righteous outrage in ever stronger doses. To be blunt I'm not sure the fever dream will truly disappear so "again" may be moot. Sure they're depressed but that doesn't mean they'll think clearly ... ever.

Probabilistic, on 26 January 2021 - 10:45 AM, said:

On a serious note: until Trump suffers the same fate as Sarah Palin, i.e., lose the ability to sway election results in favor of the candidates he supports, he will loom large. By 2022 summer I hope the country will have moved on.

I suspect he's going to be the Republicans' worst nightmare: THE SPOILER! If he can effectively wield 10% of the vote (even 5%) he could strongly influence the primaries, producing ever frothier candidates, and causing electoral beatings in non-red states all while blaming the establishment Republicans for not doing what he told them to do (whatever that happened to conveniently be as picked out of his stream of unconsciousness).

#5 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7944 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:17 PM

LFC, on 26 January 2021 - 01:55 PM, said:

I wish I could confidently say "no" but I can't. Let's not forget that there will be 2 years of Faux News, Newsmax, and OAN all with the business model of dealing the opiate of righteous outrage in ever stronger doses. To be blunt I'm not sure the fever dream will truly disappear so "again" may be moot. Sure they're depressed but that doesn't mean they'll think clearly ... ever.

Given the ugliness we've seen I agree with LFC. The fallout from all this will remain for a long time.

In another thread I asked for predictions on whether what we used to call the Republican Establishment will wrest control of the party apparatus and the name Republican from those that were loyal to Trump. I think any battle over that will keep 2020 alive in the minds and, apparently more importantly, in the grievances of everyone.

#6 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2662 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:31 PM

golden_valley, on 26 January 2021 - 02:17 PM, said:

Given the ugliness we've seen I agree with LFC. The fallout from all this will remain for a long time.

In another thread I asked for predictions on whether what we used to call the Republican Establishment will wrest control of the party apparatus and the name Republican from those that were loyal to Trump. I think any battle over that will keep 2020 alive in the minds and, apparently more importantly, in the grievances of everyone.
Someone has to break it to the Trump base that it was all a fever dream or the killings will continue
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#7 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39533 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:58 AM

Marco Rubio is trapped between Trump's cock and a hard place. Read this and feel the squirm!

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) on Tuesday tried to pretend that he’s not sweating over rumors of Ivanka Trump launching a primary challenge against him in the aftermath of the Trump presidency.

Asked during a Fox News interview about his thoughts on the rumors of the former president’s daughter launching a primary challenge against him next year, Rubio nervously attempted to convey that he’s not concerned.

“But but but who can’t? All of us are elected. Every single one of us can be primaried. Every single one of us can have a primary challenger,” Rubio said. “I’m not the owner of the Florida Senate seat.”

Pressed again on his thoughts of Ivanka Trump launching a campaign for his Senate seat, Rubio heaped praise onto the former president’s daughter, adding to the Trumpian rhetoric he’s been pushing all along.

“I like Ivanka Trump very much. We work together very well,” Rubio said, before insisting that he never heard her say that she’s running against him.

Still trying to steer clear of upsetting the Trumps, Rubio then rambled on about the former president’s daughter legally having the right to run against him now that she’s a resident of Florida.

#8 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39533 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:00 PM

Will numbers of not completely insane Republicans be self deporting retiring again like they did in the past two elections?

Republicans may face some new challenges winning back their Senate majority with another wave of retirements.

Pennsylvania and North Carolina are already up for grabs in 2022, when Republicans need only one seat to take back their majority, and Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) -- probably the most vulnerable GOP senator up for re-election -- hasn't yet decided whether to seek a third term and Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) bowed out this week, reported Politico.

"It's harder when you have open seats than when you have incumbents up, so I hope we don't have any more," said Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX). "If they are going to retire, I think it's the right thing to do to do it early to give other people a chance to get in."

Republicans are still favored to win Ohio despite Portman's exit, but the GOP is concerned that Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) might retire after seven terms or that Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) might also choose to leave -- something that many Republicans may have considered in recent weeks.

"After the riot and four years of [Donald] Trump, what GOP senator up in 2022 hasn't thought about leaving?" said Republican lobbyist and donor T.J. Petrizzo.

#9 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39533 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 January 2021 - 06:06 PM

"The Trump stink." I love it.

While the California GOP has made moderate gains in recent years, things took a turn in the wake of former President Trump's conspiracy theories about the 2020 election, followed by the violence at the U.S. Capitol which was sparked by those same conspiracy theories.

Now, according to the Sacramento Bee's Lara Korte, some California Republicans are saying Trump has made their quest to capitalize on recent gains more difficult.

"The Trump stink is going to have a long, long tail," said Mike Madrid, a former political director for the California Republican Party who worked against Trump's re-election. "And it's not just going to be politicians he surrounded himself with. It's going to splash onto consultants who worked with him, appointees that worked around him, the people who worked with candidates that were endorsed by him."

Some who continue to voice support for Trump are starting to see consequences. As Korte points out, state Senate Republican Leader Shannon Grove -- who repeatedly regurgitated Trump's claims about a stolen election -- was ousted from her position last week after her party lost two Senate seats.

"The California Republican Party last year endorsed three GOP congressional candidates who supported various aspects of the QAnon conspiracy theories, a fringe conservative movement based on the false idea that Trump was elected to fight against a Satan-worshipping cabal of Democratic pedophiles," Korte writes. "All three candidates lost by double-digit margins to their Democratic opponents. Republicans have been on a long, downward slide in California for decades. Some argue Trump was just an accelerant."

#10 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39533 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 February 2021 - 03:29 PM

The DCCC is already running ads against the QAnon Caucus. Looks like they plan to drive the message of how danger the GOP is. "You may disagree with some of our members' policies but Team R if insane, dangerous, and treasonous!"

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is unveiling its first major TV and digital campaign of the 2022 cycle with a focus on Republicans who have refused to stand up to QAnon conspiracies that featured prominently in the Capitol riot last month.

“Washington Republicans have made their choice – they chose to cave to the murderous QAnon mob that has taken over their party,” DCCC Chair Sean Patrick Maloney (D-NY) said in a news release announcing the ads Tuesday.

The effort comes as Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) — a promoter of QAnon theories — painted herself as a victim amid a growing onslaught of criticism for incendiary and false remarks on a broad spectrum of issues. That includes endorsing violence against Democratic lawmakers, according to a recent CNN report, and the suggestion that some school shootings were “false-flag” operations.

The DCCC’s 30-second TV ads and digital spots are expected to target seven House Republicans in vulnerable seats for having “stood with Q, not you.” The DCCC will also dedicate an ad targeting House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA).

The more than $500,000 campaign is expected to take particular aim at an unwillingness among a majority of House Republicans to hold President Trump responsible for inciting the Capitol riot, in addition to the dangerous mainstreaming of falsehoods perpetuated by the GOP through fact-free conspiracies.

“Washington Republicans are trying to have it both ways – refusing to hold those responsible for the attack on the Capitol accountable, offering nothing but empty words after years of hyping up lies and conspiracy theories,” Maloney said in the release.

According to DCCC, ads will target Republican Reps. Mike Garcia (CA), Young Kim (CA), Michelle Steel (CA), Brian Fitzpatrick (PA), Don Bacon (NE), Beth Van Duyne (TX) and Maria Elvira Salazar (FL).

#11 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39533 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 February 2021 - 03:30 PM

The first Dem announces they want to run for retiring Sen. Portman's (R-OH) seat.

Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH) is reportedly set to launch a run for Ohio’s Senate seat that will be vacated by Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH), whose unexpected announcement to retire next year is expected to draw a jam-packed Republican primary, according to the New York Times on Monday.

The Times reported that Ryan reached out to several Ohio and national Democrats in recent days regarding the seat currently held by Portman. The Republican senator’s seat is among the ones Democrats, with their new majority in the Senate, are hoping to flip.

Former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland (D) has pushed Ryan to run for the Ohio Senate seat.

“I think he is the person with the best chance, given this political climate we’re in and given the way Ohio has been performing,” Strickland told the Times. “He has the ability to appeal to a lot of independents, and Democrats will be very excited about this candidacy.”

#12 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39533 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 February 2021 - 01:20 PM

Pennsylvania's Lt. Governor is in to run for the retiring Sen. Toomey's seat.

Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman (D) has taken steps steps toward a possible run for the state’s open U.S. Senate seat in 2022 following earlier reports that he was eyeing a run for the seat of outgoing Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA).

The Pittsburg Post-Gazette was the first to report that the state lieutenant governor filed his statement of candidacy with the Federal Election Commission on Thursday, a development that follows Toomey’s announcement last fall that he would not seek reelection.

The state Senate’s Republican majority blocked Fetterman from presiding over the first day of its new session early last month after he refused to recognize a motion that would have prevented an elected Democratic state Sen. Jim Brewster, whose election was certified by the state, from being sworn in.

In a phone interview with TPM last month, Fetterman also rebuked “attacks from everybody that are all unfounded — all lies,” amid broader efforts by former President Donald Trump and his allies to challenge the integrity of elections in the battleground state.

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39533 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 February 2021 - 10:15 AM

Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL) may be out.

Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL) has privately indicated to his associates that he is not planning on running for re-election in 2022, the AP reported on Friday.

A Shelby spokesperson told the AP — which based its report on the account of one such unnamed associate — that the powerful Senate Republican is still considering whether to run, but said that there will “likely be an announcement forthcoming in the next few weeks.”

Until recently, when Democrats took back the committee gavel, Shelby was the chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee, an extremely envied post that gave him significant influence over government spending.

Before he was first elected to the Senate in 1986, Shelby, who is 86, served in the U.S. House for eight years and, before that, in the Alabama state Senate.

Several other GOP senators whose terms end in 2023 have also indicated they won’t run for re-election, including Sens. Pat Toomey (R-PA), Rob Portman (R-OH) and Richard Burr (R-NC).

Clearly AL is a safe seat but PA, OH, and NC are scarier races for the GOP.

PS: I really am starting to believe that really bad dye jobs on old men are a warning sign of dementia.
Posted Image

#14 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13983 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:53 AM

Now with all those POG Senators retiring, do you think they might have some spine and actually cast votes for conviction? If Snowe is any example, we can safely assume not.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#15 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39533 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:13 PM

Former Sen. David Perdue (R-GA) is already angling to get his seat back...maybe.

Former Sen. David Perdue (R-GA), only a “former” for about a month and a half, is taking the first steps to get himself back inside the upper chamber.

Perdue filed Monday as a candidate for the Senate seat currently held by Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-GA) that will come open in 2022. Warnock is filling the last leg of what would have been Sen. Johnny Isakson’s (R-GA) term — Isakson retired due to health problems in 2019, with three years left. Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) was first appointed to fill the seat by Governor Brian Kemp ®, but lost to Warnock in the January runoff.

Perdue, meanwhile, lost his regularly scheduled reelection to Sen. Jon Ossoff (D-GA) by just over a point.

But Perdue aides told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that his filing shouldn’t be taken as a statement of intent: he’s still weighing his options, they said, planning to decide by March and announce in April if he does run.

#16 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7944 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:14 PM

LFC, on 16 February 2021 - 02:13 PM, said:

Former Sen. David Perdue (R-GA) is already angling to get his seat back...maybe.

He's rich already. Does he need to be in a position to get yet more insider info?

#17 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2750 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:16 PM

LFC, on 16 February 2021 - 02:13 PM, said:

It's about time the Georgia GOP ramp up more voter disenfranchisement laws and policies. "Arrest Stacey Abrams for treason!*"

* anything that prevents Republicans from retaining political power
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#18 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39533 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:43 AM

An ex-Obama official is the second Democrat to announce they're gunning for RonJohn's Senate seat.

Milwaukee Bucks executive and former Obama administration official Alex Lasry on Wednesday announced his bid to challenge Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) during next year’s midterm elections.

Lasry, who worked with senior adviser Valerie Jarrett’s team in a role involving business outreach during the Obama administration, is the second Democratic candidate to launch a challenge against Johnson. Johnson, however, has yet to announce whether he will seek a second term.

“We need a new way of thinking and a new perspective,” Lasry said in a video announcing his candidacy. “We’ve lived through three systemic shots to the system over the last 20 years: 9/11, the Great Recession and now this pandemic.”

“And we still haven’t fixed things,” Lasry added.

#19 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39533 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 February 2021 - 01:38 PM

Entitlement Barbie has decided not to run against Marco Rubio after all. The dynasty is failing before it even gets started.

Ivanka Trump, daughter and former adviser to ex-President Trump, won’t challenge Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) in the GOP primary when he runs for re-election next year, The New York Times reported Thursday. The younger Trump, who followed her father in moving to the Sunshine State after losing the White House, had been rumored as a potential challenger to Rubio. Her sister-in-law Lara Trump—wife of Eric—is getting similar buzz as a potential successor to GOP Sen. Richard Burr in her home state of North Carolina, as Burr isn’t running for re-election next year. “Ivanka offered her support for Marco’s re-election. They had a great talk,” Rubio spokesperson Nick Iacovella told the Times.

#20 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2965 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 18 February 2021 - 04:12 PM

LFC, on 18 February 2021 - 01:38 PM, said:

Entitlement Barbie has decided not to run against Marco Rubio after all. The dynasty is failing before it even gets started.

“Ivanka offered her support for Marco’s re-election. They had a great talk,” Rubio spokesperson Nick Iacovella told the Times.

Don’t know if this is necessarily a good thing—“DeMinimis” is also up for re-election in 2022. If he runs afoul of Dolt 45 between now and the qualifying deadline, it would not surprise me in the least if she throws her hat in that race.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users