#21 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39476 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:52 PM

HockeyDon, on 25 January 2021 - 01:27 PM, said:

Same thing; eliminate the filibuster and tell him to go pound sand. If you're parliament doesn't have a filibuster, just shrug and move on to the second part.

If they can. My bet is that McConnell is hellbent on blocking D.C. statehood and will doing anything to prevent it.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#22 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39476 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:08 PM

Like everything else involving Republican supporters these days there are threats of violence over impeachment.

Federal law enforcement agents are reportedly assessing several menacing statements, including death threats, directed toward congressional lawmakers ahead of the second impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump.

That's according to what a U.S. official, who was not authorized to publicly discuss an ongoing investigation and therefore spoke on the condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press on Sunday.

"Though much of the security apparatus around Washington set up after the riot and ahead of Biden's inauguration—it included scores of military checkpoints and hundreds of additional law enforcement personnel—is no longer in place, about 7,000 members of the National Guard will remain to assist federal law enforcement," AP reported on Monday. "The number of troops in D.C. would then continue to decline in the coming weeks."

About 5,000 troops are expected to stay in Washington until mid-March. One reason for their prolonged presence is "ominous chatter about killing legislators or attacking them outside of the U.S. Capitol," AP noted.

Those threats, as well as "concerns that armed protesters could return to sack the Capitol anew... prompted the U.S. Capitol Police and other federal law enforcement to insist" that thousands of troops remain in the nation's capital "as the Senate moves forward with plans for Trump's trial," which is scheduled to begin on February 9.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#23 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7923 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:13 PM

LFC, on 25 January 2021 - 05:08 PM, said:

Like everything else involving Republican supporters these days there are threats of violence over impeachment.

There's some real ugliness in the air. While some of this is just posturing, there is probably someone or several someones that are not posturing.

Back when BLM was doing some protesting outside the homes of mayors in California cities I thought it was a bad idea. Stick with the public spaces around public buildings. That's where you protest. I fear it offered some sort of precedent for "protests" outside elections officials' homes too and those were much less civil, occurred in the dark hours, and perhaps were armed. Much more menacing. That's not political discourse.

#24 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39476 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:34 AM

Schumer isn't pulling any punches. Good! Much of the Sedition Caucus is remaining pretty quiet. (The Treason Caucus, which Rand Paul has decided to join, is still in full defense mode.) Keep them on their heels, don't let them start lying at will again without calling it out, and remind the America people who was responsible for the insurrection until at least the elections in 2024. And never, ever, EVER let any Republican from the Treason or Sedition Caucus run without pounding them for the lies they repeated.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) defended the upcoming second impeachment trial of former President Trump on Monday, minutes before the House’s formal transmission of the article of impeachment charging Trump with “incitement of insurrection” to the Senate.

During an interview with MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow that will air Monday night, Schumer argued that the Senate needs to “look back” and deal with Trump’s conduct because “you can’t sweep some of these egregious things under the rug, plain and simple,” referring to Trump’s incitement of the violent insurrection at the Capitol that left five dead.

Schumer went on to torch Trump as “the worst president ever” who committed “the most despicable thing any president has ever done.”

“His act on the 6th was the most despicable thing any president has ever done. And he is the worst president ever,” Schumer said. “And you cannot just (say) ‘let’s move on.’”

Go ahead Ted, Josh, or Rand. Defend Trump against Schumer's fire hose of truths. (There are multiple House Republicans who would have no problem doing so because they are wholly despicable creatures without a worthwhile moral between them.)

#25 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39476 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:00 PM

Oh, Nikki. You're quickly becoming as much of a political whore as Lindsey Graham, Ted Cruz, and Marco Rubio.

Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley suggested late Monday that Democrats seeking accountability over former President Trump’s role in the recent deadly Capitol riot were “beating him up” and should “give him a break.”

“I don’t even think there is a basis for impeachment,” Haley told Fox News’ Laura Ingraham in an interview. Haley offered no qualifications for those claims — opting instead to suggest that impeaching her former boss was a bode for disunity.

“Now they’re going to turn around and bring about impeachment, yet they say they are for unity,” Haley said. “They beat him up before he got into office. They are beating him up after he leaves office. I mean at some point, I mean, give the man a break! I mean, move on. If you are truly about moving on, move on.”

Little Lindsey read those words and said "Damn! I wish I had Trumpsucked that!"

#26 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39476 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:03 PM

Oh, Chris. Have you learned nothing in the past 5 years? The impeachment won't make a bit of difference on the toxicity, mendacity, and loudness of Trump's message to the MAGAts. Booting him off Twitter had more impact than you can ever have. Gawd I hate watching Dems instinctively drop into the defensive crouch even when it's clearly time to fight.

Sen. Chris Coons (D-DE) on Tuesday morning sounded the alarm over the potential consequences of his GOP colleagues acquitting President Donald Trump in the impeachment trial over his incitement of a deadly insurrection at the Capitol.

Coons told MSNBC that an acquittal would give Trump “a bigger voice and a more disruptive voice to spread disinformation in our country about the legitimacy of the 2020 election,” which spurred an angry mob of the President’s supporters to lay siege to the Capitol building.

Asked if he was opposed to letting Trump speak at the trial, given the risk of giving the President a platform to amplify those falsehoods, Coons asserted that “[t]here is a right to be heard and to confront one’s accusers that’s fundamental to our legal system.”

“I would have to think about that,” the Democrat said. “My gut instinct would be of course to allow him to speak in his own defense.”

#27 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39476 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:11 PM

Angry, unhinged Rand Paul calls the Democrats angry and unhinged as he screeches that the charge of Trump inciting violence must be dropped because it's the Democrats who incite violence. I have a feeling that when Rand's neighbor tackled him he sustained a severe and undiagnosed head injury. He's getting even nuttier and more principle free than before and that's saying something.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) took to the Senate floor Tuesday afternoon arguing that impeaching former President Donald Trump is unconstitutional and merely a “partisan vendetta” spearheaded by “angry, unhinged” Democrats.

Taking his argument a step further than some of his Republican colleagues who are pinning their unconstitutionality argument on the fact that Trump is no longer president, Paul posited that Trump should not be impeached for inciting the Capitol mob because Democrats have supposedly exhibited similar behavior.

While Paul’s argument may be the most extreme, it’s just the latest entry in Republicans whitewashing Trump’s incitement of the Capitol insurrection and all of their own amplifying of the election fraud lies that led to it. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), in an illustrative example, said in an interview that aired Sunday that “everybody across this nation is to blame” for the Capitol attack.

Paul will force a vote on the constitutionality of the impeachment trial when the Senate reconvenes around 2:30 pm E.T. Paul has indicated to reporters that he expects more than a third of the Senate to vote that the trial is unconstitutional.

A few Republicans — usual suspects like Sens. Mitt Romney (R-UT) and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) — are on record vouching for the constitutionality of the trial. The vast majority of constitutional scholars from across the political spectrum agree with them, though Republicans have been eagerly amplifying the few who don’t. One of those, Jonathan Turley, was invited to join the Senate Republicans for lunch on Tuesday. Turley served as the Republicans’ sole witness during Trump’s previous impeachment.

In a floor speech stuffed with both-sideserism, Paul said it was a “credit” to the Republican Party that they haven’t called for the impeachment of Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) for supposedly radicalizing the man who shot Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA), Vice President Kamala Harris for offering to pay bail for Black Lives Matter protesters, Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) for telling his supporters to “get up in the face” of congresspeople and Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) for urging people to create a crowd around Trump administration members at restaurants.

“No Republican has sought to use the government to hold these Democrats responsible for Antifa and Black Lives Matter violence that has consumed our cities all summer,” Paul said. “Not one Republican said ‘let’s impeach the Democrats who are inciting this’ because it would be ridiculous.”

#28 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4054 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:23 PM

Personally, I'm hoping a bunch of [R] Senators decide to boycott the impeachment vote. Just stay home fellas! Something like 25 of them boycotting should do it.
And there was much rejoicing. Yay.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

#29 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7923 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:53 PM

View PostLFC, on 26 January 2021 - 03:11 PM, said:

I have a feeling that when Rand's neighbor tackled him he sustained a severe and undiagnosed head injury. He's getting even nuttier and more principle free than before and that's saying something.

I have a feeling that I know why the neighbor tackled him in the first place.

#30 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39476 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:12 AM

Republican patriot.

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL), one of the few Republicans who voted to impeach then-President Donald Trump for instigating a violent insurrection at the Capitol, is ready for what breaking from his party’s fierce loyalty to the former president will do to his future in politics.

“I’m willing to blow this whole thing out of the water at all times,” Kinzinger told the Washington Post in an interview published on Wednesday.

The GOP lawmaker, who had spoken out against Trump several times even before the insurrection, highlighted his point with a quote from “Band of Brothers”: “The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you’re already dead.”

Kinzinger lamented that he’s felt “very isolated and very lonely” in his party, which the lawmaker predicts will face a major reckoning now that Trump is no longer in office.

“I think we’re going to have an epic battle in the next six months for the definition of this party,” the Republican said.

Kinzinger’s fears aren’t unfounded: Republicans who’ve strayed from the party’s lockstep with Trump found themselves paying a heavy price for their apostasy on Election Day.

Republican traitor. Notice his use of "to coin a phrase." The more I read Ted's comments the more stupid I'm convinced he actually is.

Oh, you’re still upset by a violent attempt to overthrow an election in a violent siege egged on the President? Jeez, why can’t you people let it go already?

During an interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity on Tuesday night, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) railed against Democrats’ push for impeaching ex-President Donald Trump for inciting the attack on the Capitol, which ultimately led to five deaths.

“They’re engaging on an act that I think is petty, I think it is retribution, I think it is vindictive, and I think it’s a waste of time,” the Texas Republican complained.

“And so to coin a phrase, I think it’s time to move on,” he continued. “It’s time to move on and focus on helping people get back to work, helping people beat this global pandemic, bringing America back to where we should be, not these partisan games the Democrats are playing.”

Lame-assed bipartisan half-measure.

Sens. Tim Kaine (D-VA) and Susan Collins (R-ME) are privately floating a bipartisan resolution censuring former President Trump to their colleagues as most Republicans signal Trump’s likely acquittal in his second impeachment trial, according to Axios on Tuesday.

On Tuesday afternoon, only five Republicans — Sens. Mitt Romney (R-UT), Pat Toomey (R-PA), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Susan Collins (R-ME) and Ben Sasse (R-NE) — joined with all the Democratic senators to vote that the Senate impeachment trial is constitutional and should proceed.

Although the Democrats and the five Republicans effectively killed the procedural motion as expected, the majority of Republicans’ vote declaring the trial is unconstitutional makes the chances of Trump’s conviction highly unlikely, given how 12 of those Republicans would have to reverse their positions to convict Trump.

Kaine and Collins view the bipartisan censure resolution they are pitching to colleagues as another pathway to officially condemn Trump for his incitement of the deadly insurrection at the Capitol earlier this month.

#31 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39476 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:06 PM

Treason co-conspirator Mark Meadows wants us to move along. F*** you, traitor.

Former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows joined Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) on Wednesday in slamming the second impeachment trial of former President Trump by dismissing the gravity of the deadly insurrection at the Capitol earlier this month that Trump incited.

It’s only been three weeks to the day since the violence at the Capitol, but Republicans are happy to brush it aside as they continue to kowtow to Trump.

Appearing on “Fox and Friends” Wednesday morning, Meadows complained about the upcoming impeachment trial while deploying the GOP’s laughable call for “unity” after pushing Trump’s unfounded claims of widespread election fraud for months.

Asked whether Trump’s speech at a rally that happened hours before the Capitol riots — when the former president told his supporters to “fight like hell” as he repeated false claims of a “stolen” election — was a good idea, Meadows conveniently dodged the question.

“When we start looking at the rally, we are focused more on that than we are really we need to be focused on today,” Meadows said. “When we start to look at America, it needs to be about what is important to people on Main Street. ”

Meadows went back to complaining that the Senate impeachment trial is a waste of time after trying to paint Trump as a populist president who “put America first.”

#32 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7923 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:24 PM

“They’re engaging on an act that I think is petty, I think it is retribution, I think it is vindictive, and I think it’s a waste of time,” the Texas Republican complained.

Insurrection and having sex in the Oval Office are two vastly different things. Apparently the latter is far more serious.

ETA: I should have said "lying about having sex..."

#33 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2746 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:11 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 27 January 2021 - 12:24 PM, said:

ETA: I should have said "lying about having sex..."
Yeah, if Dumpster could have figured out how to smuggle another porn star into the Oval Office, without getting caught, he'd have been mushroom deep into all he could. And Mike Pence would have played the Jerry Falwell, Jr. role and watched from the sidelines. "At least it wasn't a homosexual act, so God will look the other way"
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#34 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15985 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 07:44 AM

Andy Borowitz

16m ·

Desperate Trump Offers To Pay Lawyers
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#35 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7923 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:55 AM

The team of lawyers that was to represent Trump in the second impeachment trial has backed out. I suppose he'll say the Deep State paid them off or something. I guess it's back to Giuliani and Powell...

A person familiar with the departures told CNN that Trump wanted the attorneys to argue there was mass election fraud and that the election was stolen from him rather than focus on the legality of convicting a president after he's left office. Trump was not receptive to the discussions about how they should proceed in that regard.

#36 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39476 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:01 PM

Josh Marshall boils it all down. Trump is literally taking the worst path possible. Not that most Senate Republicans will be willing to stand up for America, mind you. I'd be shocked if there were more than two when all is said and done, Romney plus a disgusted retiring GOP Senator to be named later.

I think something is getting lost in the discussion of Trump’s Impeachment 2.0 lawyers quitting. They reportedly bailed because they were unwilling to argue Trump’s lies about the election being stolen. But arguing the election was stolen amounts to an affirmative defense of the events of January 6th. In other words, Trump isn’t guilty not because he didn’t incite the insurrection but because the incitement and the insurrection were justified.

Republicans have been hoping Trump will contest the constitutionality of the proceeding itself. This is a thoroughly bogus argument. No one prior to 2021 ever thought a former President couldn’t be tried in the Senate. But it has the merit of being antiseptic. It’s a technical question houses in the late 1780s far away from the events of January 6th.

A more logical defense would be on the facts of the alleged incitement. The case against Trump is very strong. But you can certainly argue that he didn’t explicitly tell the insurrectionists to storm the Capitol and murder members of the House and Senate. There’s a defense there you can argue and enough of the jury has decided to acquit regardless. So why not?

But again, that’s not what Trump wants to argue. He wants to say it was all justified.

#37 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7923 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:07 PM

View PostLFC, on 31 January 2021 - 12:01 PM, said:

Josh Marshall boils it all down. Trump is literally taking the worst path possible. Not that most Senate Republicans will be willing to stand up for America, mind you. I'd be shocked if there were more than two when all is said and done, Romney plus a disgusted retiring GOP Senator to be named later.

Are Senate Republicans so depraved that they'd acquit on the basis of an argument that the insurrection was justified? And/or will another wall of insurrection occur on the day the trial is to begin ala Jan. 6? With every turn of events in Jan. 2021 I thought this will finally open some eyes. Is February going to offer more occasions for me to be wrong?

#38 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39476 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:13 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 31 January 2021 - 12:07 PM, said:

Are Senate Republicans so depraved that they'd acquit on the basis of an argument that the insurrection was justified? And/or will another wall of insurrection occur on the day the trial is to begin ala Jan. 6? With every turn of events in Jan. 2021 I thought this will finally open some eyes. Is February going to offer more occasions for me to be wrong?

No, they'll present "his" defense of an ex-president not being able to be impeached for him. They'll cover for him just like they've always done.

#39 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39476 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:18 PM

I can't even see putting this in the humor thread.

Posted Image

#40 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39476 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 February 2021 - 11:05 AM

Trump is getting a second legal team together. Unfortunately, simply for entertainment's sake, Rudy isn't part of it.

Ex-President Donald Trump announced on Sunday night that he had found two new attorneys, one of whom represented Trump ally Roger Stone, to defend him in his upcoming Senate impeachment trial after his first defense team bailed little more than a week before the trial was set to begin.

In a statement describing himself as “the 45th President” no fewer than four times, Trump announced that David Schoen and Bruce Castor, Jr. will serve as his defense lawyers.

They “agree that this impeachment is unconstitutional,” according to the former president.

“It is an honor to represent the 45th President, Donald J. Trump, and the United States Constitution,” Schoen said, while Castor said it was a “privilege to represent the 45h President.”

Schoen represented Stone in his criminal case when the Trump associate was charged for witness tampering and lying to Congress. Stone was pardoned by Trump last December.

Schoen was also poised to represent accused child sex trafficker billionaire Jeffrey Epstein before the disgraced billionaire died by suicide.

When he served as district attorney of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania during 2002 to 2008, Castor declined to pursue criminal charges against actor Bill Cosby, who was accused of sexual assault in 2005 by Andrea Constand. Cosby was found guilty in 2018 in a separate case on Constand’s allegations and had been accused of sexual assault by 60 women at that point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users