4 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15994 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:54 PM

https://suzdalnitski...er-846d072b4dce

C++ and Java probably are some of the worst mistakes of computer science. Both have been heavily criticized by Alan Kay, the creator of OOP himself, and many other prominent computer scientists. Yet C++ and Java paved the way for the most notorious programming paradigm — the modern OOP.

Its popularity is very unfortunate, it has caused tremendous damage to the modern economy, causing indirect losses of trillions upon trillions of dollars. Thousands of human lives have been lost as a result of OOP. There’s no industry that went untouched by the latent OO crisis, unfolding right before our eyes for the past three decades.

Why is OOP so dangerous? Let’s find out.

“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9848 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:42 PM

Well, Java and C++ are certainly among the worst languages I've every had the misfortune to use.

I'd comment on the rest of the article, which I largely disagree with, but I'd just sound like an old curmudgeon.

#3 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39525 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:56 PM

View PostAnBr, on 14 January 2021 - 07:54 PM, said:

In a decade of coding C++ and Java and even longer reading C# I have yet to see a large scale OO design that was well thought out and implemented. The garbage that uses inheritance is mind boggling and so often understanding what the code does virtually requires a robust runtime debugging environment so you can see what code is executing exactly when. I get that there are cases where objects can be used efficiently. It's just done way too infrequently, at least in my experience.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#4 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5489 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:55 AM

View PostAnBr, on 14 January 2021 - 07:54 PM, said:

I nearly stopped reading when he said "there is a silver bullet". I did stop when I read that the silver bullet was "functional programming"; as I would have done if he'd said the silver bullet was anything else. Even if everything he says about functional programming is true (and I can't see anything to disagree with), bad software will still be caused by human error: mainly in the requirements analysis (by humans who can't tell if they've misuderstood the problem) and in the design (because humans may not understand the requirements document). Recall that if 20% of the whole shebang is faulty it might seriously and adversley affect 80%.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.
Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.
Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#5 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39525 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:09 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 15 January 2021 - 05:55 AM, said:

I nearly stopped reading when he said "there is a silver bullet". I did stop when I read that the silver bullet was "functional programming"; as I would have done if he'd said the silver bullet was anything else. Even if everything he says about functional programming is true (and I can't see anything to disagree with), bad software will still be caused by human error: mainly in the requirements analysis (by humans who can't tell if they've misuderstood the problem) and in the design (because humans may not understand the requirements document). Recall that if 20% of the whole shebang is faulty it might seriously and adversley affect 80%.

I think Agile is the next "big thing" that people will realize is being used very badly and causing garbage code as well as destroy productivity. (It's actually already happening.) Me and others I've talked to have seen "iterative design" and the religious fervor against what they view as the original sin of Waterfall used as a shield to excuse coding NOW rather than gathering real requirements and actually creating a thoughtful design. Specifications are viewed as something that maybe somebody else can do later. They have no value up front. Of course the results we're seeing and the metrics we're looking at show that we did so much better before we went full blown Agile but never let reality get in the way of the "big thing" in software development.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users