Hank Aaron

#22 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9625 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:12 AM

Larry King, at 87, had COVID treatments.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

We go low so you don't have to. ~ LP

Person.. woman.. man.. election... vote. ~ Twitter

#23 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:12 PM

Cloris Leachman of Young Frankenstein and Mary Tyler Moore fame, and best known to the under-30 crowd as the oldest-ever competitor on Dancing with the Stars, 94:

Leachman, who worked well into her 90s and became the oldest contestant on “Dancing With the Stars” in 2008, died Tuesday evening of natural causes, her publicist said. She was 94.

Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#24 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9625 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:28 PM

She was also in the movie Bad Santa. There was a line by Billy Bob Thornton pertaining to her role of the kid's gramma, 'Is she spry?'... which became a running gag with some of us older tennis players.

#25 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2796 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:24 PM

Rue Bella, on 27 January 2021 - 08:28 PM, said:

She was also in the movie Bad Santa. There was a line by Billy Bob Thornton pertaining to her role of the kid's gramma, 'Is she spry?'... which became a running gag with some of us older tennis players.
"Let me fix you some sandwiches..."
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#26 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:43 PM

She'll always be Frau Blucher to me.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#27 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:43 PM

No, Christina Bailey in the cheesiest Film Noir I've ever seen.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#28 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 07:41 PM

And another nonagenarian actress: Cicely Tyson, 96:

https://www.washingt...4297_story.html

Cicely Tyson, an actress whose electrifying portrayals of resilient Black women — foremost in the 1974 TV movie “The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman” but also as Coretta Scott King and Harriet Tubman — brought some of the first ennobling portrayals of African Americans to a vast television audience, died Jan. 28. She was 96.
Ms. Tyson had shrouded her age until late in life. For much of her career, she convincingly presented herself as 15 years younger than she was,...

Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#29 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 04:46 PM

Big Five coaching legend John Chaney, 89:

https://www.inquirer...h-20210129.html

John Chaney, the legendary Temple University basketball coach, the very face of the school on North Broad Street for a generation and an icon of his sport, died Friday at age 89 after a short illness.
Mr. Chaney had led Temple to five appearances in the NCAA Elite Eight, the last trip in 2001, the year he was inducted to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. In addition to 17 trips to the NCAA Tournament with the Owls, Mr. Chaney won a Division II national title at Cheyney University. Funeral services were pending.

#30 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 02 February 2021 - 11:37 AM

Hal Holbrook, or as I remember him, Mark Twain.

#31 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 01:38 PM

Christopher Plummer, best known to generations as Captain Georg vonTrapp in The Sound of Music, 91:

https://www.washingt...b46d_story.html

Christopher Plummer, the acclaimed stage and film star, brought both charm and an air of menace to a vast range of roles from King Lear to a Klingon villain. At 82, he added an Oscar win to a shelf of trophies that already included two Tony Awards. But Mr. Plummer will always be remembered for the one part that he professed to hate but that made him a household name: the von Trapp patriarch in “The Sound of Music.”
Mr. Plummer, who was 91, died Feb. 5 at his home in Connecticut. The death was confirmed in a statement from his manager, Lou Pitt. The cause was not disclosed.

#32 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 01:52 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 05 February 2021 - 01:38 PM, said:

Christopher Plummer, best known to generations as Captain Georg vonTrapp in The Sound of Music, 91:

https://www.washingt...b46d_story.html

I went on a Sound of Music tour when I was in Salzburg; yeah a cheesy American tourist thing, but fun. The tour guide told us Plummer was most unhappy about working with children, specifically one he had to carry. She was too heavy he said. Apparently he couldn't say that out loud in interviews so he confined himself into saying it was a stupid role.

I've seen the stage version that the movie was based on. It was much more political than the Disney film. Plummer's would be girlfriend was an out and out Nazi. It might have been more to Plummer's liking.

#33 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9625 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:55 PM

Long time ago I heard Plummer referred to the movie as The Sound of Mucous.

I saw it years ago on a rainy day in Edinburgh, and enjoyed it. Saw parts of it again this past year and realized it was not a particularly good movie.

#34 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:06 PM

Christopher Plummer delivered what hit me as a striking throwaway line in a decent rom-com called "Must Love Dogs." He's a older widower (he was 76 at the time the movie was made) and he's dating almost constantly, mostly younger women. His daughter (Diane Lane) asks him why he's doing it rather than dating one seriously and his reply was, “I’ve had the love of my life. Now I’m just tap dancing. If I dance fast enough, perhaps I won’t remember what I’ve lost.”
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#35 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 01:33 PM

George P. Schultz, former Secretary of State, 100:

https://www.washingt...e309_story.html

George P. Shultz, one of only two people to serve the United States in four Cabinet-level posts and a major force in economic and foreign policy in two Republican administrations, died Feb. 6 at his home in Stanford, Calif. He was 100.
The Hoover Institution at Stanford University, where Dr. Shultz was long affiliated after stepping down as secretary of state in 1989, announced the death but did not give a cause.
Dr. Shultz’s prodigious inside knowledge of the U.S. government was rivaled by few figures in recent memory, and his soft-spoken, cerebral manner obscured his strong conservative views about the wisdom of keeping spending under control, limiting government regulation and vigorously confronting terrorists.

#36 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 February 2021 - 04:54 PM

Former heavyweight boxing champ Leon Spinks at age 67.

#37 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 05:18 PM

George Schultz, Reagan's Secretary of State (after Al Haig) and Nixon's Secretary of Labor. He more or less had his head screwed on straight when it come to foreign relations, moved away from evil empire stuff to dealing with Gorbachev. He was 100.

#38 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 11:24 PM

George Schultz said:

A tight pussy, loose shoes and a warm place to shit.

“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#39 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 February 2021 - 09:21 AM

Mary Wilson, one of the original Supremes, at 76.

#40 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 08:53 PM

Larry Flynt (need I say more?), 78.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users