377 replies to this topic

#361 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:56 PM

Posted Image
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#362 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:52 PM

"Anitfa did it" (paywalled) is now the excuse and rallying cry for their continued march towards fascism.

The antifa card has been dealt repeatedly this week. And it’s only picking up more steam among the GOP as a vague but ready excuse for all manner of things.

Tucked into a recent Politico report on Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s decision to push back on the House’s bid to conduct a bipartisan review of the Jan. 6 insurrection was a clue as to the staying power the actually-it-was-antifa lie will have.

According to Politico, McConnell rejected House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s proposal for the commission, saying it was “partisan by design” and insisted that any actual review of the attack should also include a deep-dive into other forms of so-called political violence, including Republicans’ darling whataboutism of equating the violence that broke out alongside some Black Lives Matter protest this summer with the insurrection.

But in reality, according to a House aide who spoke to Politico, McConnell isn’t thrilled about a commission in the first place: “Minority Leader McConnell made clear that Republicans do not want a commission and that if one is created, they aim to try to make it about antifa,” the aide told Politico.

Antifa is becoming the new dodge to give the GOP an out and not engage seriously on issues. And the talking point has reemerged in prominent ways this past week: During the Senate’s hearing with officials charged with defending the Capitol on Jan. 6, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) used his time to question officials to instead read from a column that argued the amorphous antifa had actually staged the attack, disguised as Trump supporters. This, of course, comes in heavy contrast with all the intelligence community’s investigations and findings on the attack, and what everyone could see with their own eyes.

On Wednesday, Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-TX), who has maintained since Jan. 6 that antifa was behind the attack, took his grievances a step further during a Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security subcommittee hearing on the rise of domestic terrorism in the United States, arguing that Democrats were actually responsible for the insurrection … not just because of antifa, but also because of the “Russia hoax” and things like censorship.

Trump and a handful of others have latched onto the conspiracy theory since the insurrection was in full swing. And while most reasonable members of the GOP acknowledge the mob was made up of Trump supporters, leaving a vacuum to equate the insurrection with mostly peaceful racial justice protests is just the GOP’s latest vague boogeyman to avoid engaging seriously — as austerity is to COVID-19 negotiations and spectre of mean tweets is to Neera Tanden.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#363 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 26 February 2021 - 02:22 PM

View PostLFC, on 26 February 2021 - 01:52 PM, said:

"Anitfa did it" (paywalled) is now the excuse and rallying cry for their continued march towards fascism.

Antifa is the equivalent of "not me" my kids' fictitious person blamed for all wrongdoing. We are at the mercy of children, unrepentant selfish children.

#364 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 February 2021 - 02:34 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 26 February 2021 - 02:22 PM, said:

Antifa is the equivalent of "not me" my kids' fictitious person blamed for all wrongdoing. We are at the mercy of children, unrepentant selfish children.

I view it as their ultimate "LOOK! SQUIRREL!" card right now. They never seem to have a shortage of these cards, though.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#365 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:14 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 26 February 2021 - 02:22 PM, said:

Wasn't "Not Me" a recurring "ghost character" (alongside "Ida Know") in the old Family Circus comic strip?

Unfortunately, I think you've nailed it re being at the mercy of selfish children.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#366 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:58 PM

In this paywalled piece we see RonJohn attacking reality with the Faux News tried and true method of "just asking the question." The right has used this method for decades to spread FUD and attack democracy. They should be called out every time they pull a stunt like this.

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) chose to use his time during a Senate hearing on the Capitol riot last week to read a Federalist column that made unsubstantiated claims about antifa being involved in the insurrection — giving a national megaphone to conspiracy theories about the deadly attack that have been floated by Republicans since Jan. 6.

But now he claims he’s just asking questions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s been his tactic for some time — giving conspiracy theories unnecessary prominent attention, while claiming he’s just raising possible explanations. He did the same thing with the results of the 2020 election and was one of the more prominent GOPers to elevate conspiracy theories about Hunter Biden. During an interview with the New York Times late last week, Johnson explained why he thinks the insurrection wasn’t necessarily an “armed” one (because Capitol Police were the main people with guns, ignoring the fact that the mob carried its own hefty supply of dangerous weapons into the Capitol) and suggested he’s been publicly acknowledging conspiracies about antifa being involved in the attack because: “I’m asking the question. I’m making no assumptions.”

Here’s one particularly shrug-y response to Times’ journalist Reid Epstein’s inquiry about the Federalist article he read during the hearing:

That’s what he said he thought he saw. I think later in the article, he didn’t see any who he would have thought were fake Trump protesters, he didn’t see them engage in any violence. I think he writes that in his article. Yeah. I’m letting his testimony stand on its own. I wasn’t there.

Again, I’m drawing no conclusions whatsoever. Again, a lot of press reports are assuming, imputing all kinds of conclusions. They’re saying I’m saying things that I’m not saying at all. All I’m saying at this point in time is we need to ask a lot of questions.

The problem with this approach is clear: hoisting conspiracy theories under the guise of “just asking questions” leaves a vacuum for further disinformation — those festering and spreading these conspiracy theories in the darker corners of the internet will latch onto any public acknowledgement of their baseless claims as fodder for further spread. And it’s not just RonJohn.

As I wrote last week, the GOP is increasingly latching onto antifa conspiracies as a means to not engage seriously on accountability for the insurrection. There’s nothing quite like a bad faith shrug.

Hey, Ron. Do you blow goats? People have said and I'm just asking the question.

#367 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:38 AM

Josh Hawley continues to be a tool and is proud of it. He's defending his opposition to virtually every one of Biden's appointees which, as everybody obviously knows, comes down to "if I wouldn't pick them then I should vote against them." Way to redefine how our democracy functions, Joshy. If you control the Senate and the White House is controlled by the Dems then it's OK to block every single one of the administration's picks that isn't a Republican. What a dick.

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO) on Monday defended having opposed every one of President Joe Biden’s Cabinet nominees that have passed through the Senate so far — insisting to CNN in an interview that he has weighed each pick individually.

“I take them one at a time,” Hawley told CNN when pressed on his opposition to close to a dozen Biden nominations on Monday. “If there is someone I think will be good to Missouri, that I can defend to my voters, somebody who I think is going to be good for the job, I’ll vote for them,” Hawley said, citing his support of a deputy defense nominee who was confirmed by the chamber through a voice vote.

CNN pointed out that Hawley has already opposed each of the 11 Cabinet-level nominees requiring Senate approval that have been confirmed so far. There are 23 total.

It’s not uncommon for some nominations to face opposition as a new president brings together a cabinet, but Hawley’s repeated challenges to each of Biden’s nominations is a striking development as he is the only senator to put forward uniform opposition.

The Missouri senator was also a ring leader in objecting to Electoral College votes for Biden, pushing false claims of voter fraud that were central to former President Donald Trump’s false claims of a stolen election that fomented a deadly riot on the Capitol in January.

#368 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14020 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:43 AM

Who the fuck cares?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#369 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:51 AM

Traveler, on 02 March 2021 - 09:43 AM, said:

Who the fuck cares?

We should. This guy is likely to be a big player in the Republican Party, much more than Ted Cruz. By the numbers Cruz should have been a smart person but every indication is that, at least as a politician, he's not very bright. I think Hawley is much smarter and he sees his future in the dumb doe eyes of the MAGAts. And if he were to ever make it to the White House he wouldn't f*** up like Trump. He'd be much more effective at destroying democracy.

#370 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14020 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:50 AM

Well, seems like most maggots don't agree. Enjoy.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#371 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:52 AM

CPAC has devolved into nothing more than a gathering of right-wing domestic fascists bent on overthrowing our democracy.

For years, a central goal of the conservative movement was to install right-wing judges. A Republican president delivered, big time. And these Trumpists are still pissed.

Which tells you one thing. For the authoritarian wing of the Republican Party, this was never about interpreting the American legal code. It was always about raw political power.

“It’s not about the rule of law. It’s not about getting good, qualified judges. It’s about results-oriented litigation,” former U.S. Attorney for Alabama Joyce Vance tells Molly Jong-Fast on the latest edition of The New Abnormal.

“They want judges who will vote to save the election for a president who has clearly lost it. And that’s just out of bounds. It doesn’t matter if you’re a Democrat or a Republican. The notion that the courts could be used to steal an election is really the epitome of being anti-democratic. It’s ludicrous. It’s ridiculous. It just shows you that these folks are off the rails. They might as well have stood on a stage at CPAC and torn up the Constitution.”

Vance adds, “We should immediately begin to identify what’s being done here as anti-democratic. I don’t believe that that’s where my Republican friends in Alabama are. Many of them are good people who have different principled views than I have on policy issues. They believe in the Constitution and the rule of law. And they’re horrified by what they’re seeing.”

Because the Trumpists aren’t just looking for judges that overturn elections they don’t like. They don’t want anyone outside of their crowd to be able to vote, period. “These efforts to suppress the vote previously have been relegated to dark corners of political operatives. It’s now actually the platform of the Republican Party to make it hard for people to vote, because they’re afraid that they might not vote Republican. They should be expending half the energy they’re expending on voter suppression on trying to win voters over, on creating policies that are appealing to the population,” Vance says. “This is a sickness in the American political dialogue.”

Are there REALLY that many Republicans who are "horrified by what they're seeing?" Because judging from the election results at a whole range of offices I don't see it. More and more the Republicans who win in very red states / districts / counties / towns are frothing and rabid. If there are so many Republicans who aren't MAGAts and they are "horrified" then you'd think maybe they'd drag their asses out to vote in primaries to get sane Republicans. I think the number who are anything other than casual Republicans who kinda' identify but don't really vote is rather small. The poll numbers on things like approval of Trump and belief that the election wasn't honest prove that out.

#372 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:03 AM

LFC, on 02 March 2021 - 10:52 AM, said:

CPAC has devolved into nothing more than a gathering of right-wing domestic fascists bent on overthrowing our democracy.

Are there REALLY that many Republicans who are "horrified by what they're seeing?" Because judging from the election results at a whole range of offices I don't see it. More and more the Republicans who win in very red states / districts / counties / towns are frothing and rabid. If there are so many Republicans who aren't MAGAts and they are "horrified" then you'd think maybe they'd drag their asses out to vote in primaries to get sane Republicans. I think the number who are anything other than casual Republicans who kinda' identify but don't really vote is rather small. The poll numbers on things like approval of Trump and belief that the election wasn't honest prove that out.

There were a lot of voters coming out to support Trump; voters who perhaps rarely voted in the past. They might have picked all the Rs in the primary that supported Trump. And how many Rs running in the primary would dare to say they didn't support him? In 2022 without Trump on the ballot, will those people vote at all?

#373 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:04 AM

Traveler, on 02 March 2021 - 10:50 AM, said:

It's all name recognition at this point. Looking at the actual result of the CPAC straw poll Trump is still the big man though at 55% he's clearly faded. Maybe he slipped for not delivering on the insurrection. DeSantis came in second at 21% and Noem third at 4%. The governors have had a bigger platform during COVID but Hawley is young, smart, ambitious, and he has God™ on his side. I still see him as the one to watch out especially since he's all in on what the MAGAts want, and what they want is more lies and fascism.

Ninety-five percent said they want the Republican Party to continue with Trump’s agenda and policies, with 3 percent saying the GOP should change direction and 2 percent saying they were uncertain.

The CPAC straw poll also asked respondents who they would support for president in a theoretical race if Trump was not a candidate. The results showed DeSantis with a wide lead at 43 percent support.

In that race, Noem came behind the Florida governor at 11 percent, followed by Donald Trump Jr. at 8 percent and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) both at 7 percent.

#374 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:58 PM

Zack Beauchamp at Vox wrote an article presenting the case that the Republican Party is now hostile to democracy. He backs it up with 13 charts.

The Republican Party is the biggest threat to American democracy today. It is a radical, obstructionist faction that has become hostile to the most basic democratic norm: that the other side should get to wield power when it wins elections.

A few years ago, these statements may have sounded like partisan Democratic hyperbole. But in the wake of the January 6 attack on the Capitol and Trump’s acquittal in the Senate on the charge of inciting it, they seem more a plain description of where we’re at as a country.

But how deep does the GOP’s problem with democracy run, really? How did things get so bad? And is it likely to get worse?

Below are 13 charts that illustrate the depth of the problem and how we got here. The story they tell is sobering: At every level, from the elite down to rank-and-file voters, the party is permeated with anti-democratic political attitudes and agendas. And the prospects for rescuing the Republican Party, at least in the short term, look grim indeed.

This chart really hit home. They asked 2,000 experts on about political parties in the OECD. Then they graphed political party hostility towards democratic norms against their hostility to ethnic minority rights. The GOP ranked frighteningly close to Turkish President Erdoğan's AKP, a party that dismantled decades of democratic rules, laws, and norms to create a de facto dictatorship.

Posted Image

#375 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 09:54 PM

View Postindy, on 23 January 2021 - 08:43 AM, said:

Cancel culture! What strikes me as the most amusing about the right's concerns regarding cancel culture is that NOBODY adheres as much to cancel culture as they do. Western religions are one of the most extreme examples of cancel culture that one could possibly devise. It literally spells out in a book what is OK to think (no sexy thoughts about your neighbor!) and do under penalty of everlasting damnation. Other than actual physical coercion (which they have also tried in the past), is there a more ingenious system to ostracize people? Scarlet letters maybe?

Posted Image
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#376 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 March 2021 - 04:28 PM

Arizona Republicans want to hand a serious advantage to minority rule.

Republicans in Arizona received harsh criticism on Monday for an effort to enshrine minority rule in the state's Constitution.

"After two months of watching our leaders hard at work at the state Capitol, I've come to a sad (but not terribly startling) conclusion: The Arizona Legislature doesn't really like us very much. Either that, or the Republicans that run the joint are just plain scared of the citizens of this state," Arizona Republic columnist Laurie Roberts explained.

"Not only are they busy passing bill after bill to make it more difficult to vote — clearly payback for sending Democrats to the White House and the Senate in 2020 — they also are working to make it harder for us to exercise our constitutional right to make laws at the ballot box."

Roberts listed a number of bills pushed by Republicans and noted that, "easily the most obnoxious of the bills is a proposal to require a supermajority to pass any future ballot initiative or referendum."

"HCR 2016 would require that any citizen-generated ballot proposal receive 55% of the vote rather than the simple majority required here and in every other state where citizens have initiative and referendum power," Roberts explained. "The bill's sponsor, Rep. Tim Dunn, a Yuma Republican who intiatially proposing a 60% requirement, seems to think we are easily duped and thus a simple majority of us can't be trusted to get it right."

The Constitution Referendum would need to be ratified by voters during the next general election.

"It likely comes as no surprise that Proposition 208, boosting the income tax on the state's wealthiest residents to raise money for public education, passed with just under 52% of the vote in November. It also likely comes as no surprise that neither Dunn nor anyone else at the Capitol has proposed raising the vote threshold for electing state legislators," she explained. "Or for passing bills once they get to the Capitol."

The columnist predicted "voters won't be dumb enough to fall for it."

#377 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 March 2021 - 11:15 AM

Fascist Republicans who attempted to overthrow our democracy are pissed that people aren't conveniently forgetting about their treason. Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CAn You Just Shut Up?) is screeching that he didn't do what we all saw him do. Shorter Kevin: "Wah."

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) heatedly insisted Thursday that he did not try to overturn the 2020 election because he only voted against validating the results from two states — which wouldn’t have been enough, he reasoned, to overturn President Joe Biden’s win.

CNN’s Manu Raju asked McCarthy about a contested election in Iowa that both parties are watching closely. Republicans have sought to cast the dispute as a nefarious bid by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) to overturn an election. Raju asked McCarthy what the difference would be between such a scenario and former President Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election — which McCarthy himself played a role in.

“I disagree with the premise of the question,” he said before asking Raju if he knows how many electoral votes it takes to win the presidency.

“If you challenge Arizona and Pennsylvania, would that have changed and lowered President Biden’s numbers below 270?” he continued, referring to the Electoral College certifications from the two states he challenged on January 6.

And then there's this.

Raju asked if, given that argument, McCarthy regretted signing onto Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s lawsuit, a last-ditch effort to toss all the votes from the four battleground states that propelled Biden to victory.

“No, no, no I don’t!” McCarthy said loudly.

Here's another Big Lie Fascist Republican who is pissed that we refuse to forget that fact.

Rep. Lee Zeldin (R-NY) repeatedly pushed back on Politico reporters on Thursday when they asked whether he could unequivocally state that President Biden won the 2020 election.

Politico reporter Ryan Lizza first noted that readers of the news outlet requested that they ask Zeldin their burning question, given Zeldin’s vote against certifying Joe Biden’s electoral victory amid pushing former President Trump’s election fraud falsehoods.

“Yeah, Joe Biden’s the president of the United States,” Zeldin said. “And that’s how …”

Lizza interjected to ask Zeldin: “is or won?” Lizza attempted to circle back to his question of whether Zeldin could definitively say that Biden legitimately won the election.

“Yes, and then I went on to continue an answer,” Zeldin said. “If you would like to give my answer for me, you can go ahead and do that. But I thought I was going to be here to answer my own questions.”

The interview grew more tense after Lizza once again asked Zeldin if Biden won the presidency. Zeldin accused Lizza of having an “agenda.”

“You’re asking me now for a third time, and I’ve said yes twice. So, I don’t know how many more times you want me to say yes and what your agenda is,” Zeldin said. “But, really, it’s a bit ridiculous to be asking me a third time. But please, go ahead and ask me again.”

Politico reporter Tara Palmeri jumped in to explain to Zeldin that Lizza was just trying to get clarification on the matter.

A back-and-forth ensued as Zeldin griped over reporters asking him about Biden’s win for the fourth time.

“I wouldn’t call that a question,” Palmeri said.

“You can go for a fifth time next, too,” Zeldin hit back.

“Is every time I speak a question?” Palmeri said, while laughing. “We can keep going.”

Zeldin sarcastically quipped: “Sure, let’s do it a sixth time.”

Zeldin is currently exploring a run for New York governor as embattled Gov. Andrew Cuomo faces backlash and calls to resign over sexual harassment allegations.

#378 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 March 2021 - 11:18 AM

Kevin McCarthy is now screeching because the House won't remove Rep. Eric Swallwell from the House Intelligence Committee because he was once targeted by a Chinese spy. Note that there's zero evidence of any wrongdoing. Nice pivot for somebody who defended Putin's puppet for 4 years.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) fumed late Thursday after the House voted against his resolution to remove Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) from the House intelligence committee due to his contact over six years ago with a suspected Chinese spy who is alleged to have targeted American lawmakers.

“Every Democrat is now on the record,” McCarthy wrote in a tweet on Thursday night, accusing his colleagues of choosing “politics over national security,” after they sunk his resolution to strip Swalwell from the intelligence panel over the California lawmaker’s years-old likely unwitting contact with the alleged spy.

McCarthy’s resolution sought to boot Swalwell from the intelligence panel over the fact that he has not denied “public reporting that a suspected Chinese intelligence operative helped raise money” for his campaign for and helped interns seek potential positions in his congressional office.

The resolution cited an Axios report from December, that the alleged spy, Christine Fang, came into contact with Swalwell’s campaign in 2012 and had also participated in fundraising for Swalwell’s 2014 campaign and helped place an intern in his office.

After federal investigators made Swalwell aware of their concerns and briefed Congress on the issue in 2015, the California lawmaker says that he cut ties. He was not charged with any wrongdoing.

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff said in a letter to colleagues on Thursday obtained by the Associated Press that Swalwell is a “trusted member of our committee” and that he had “acted fully in accordance with his responsibilities” after the 2015 counterintelligence briefing.

A fierce critic of former President Donald Trump, Swalwell served as a House impeachment manager during the former president’s second impeachment trial last month.

During an MSNBC interview, Swalwell said that McCarthy’s effort to boot him from the committee was an attempt at retribution for the role he played as a House impeachment manager in Trump’s trial last month.

“It’s only about payback right now because of my role in the impeachment proceedings, and holding the president accountable,” Swalwell said.

The California Democrat also punched back in a tweet Thursday morning that McCarthy’s resolution failed to include “multiple FBI statements” that he had not be charged with wrongdoing and that he had cooperated with their investigation.

“All of this to deflect from @GOPLeader’s support for QAnon,” Swalwell wrote.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users