#341 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5980 posts
  • LocationAn Anarchist Jurisdiction

Posted 11 February 2021 - 06:16 PM

LFC, on 11 February 2021 - 06:12 PM, said:

The Texas Lt. Governor is demanding that the Star Spangled Banner be played before any and all events with any public funding. Forced "patriotism." How positively fascist of him.

You can always play Rosanne Barr's version.
"strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations, unpled in the operative complaint and unsupported by evidence"

#342 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 February 2021 - 06:22 PM

baw1064, on 11 February 2021 - 06:16 PM, said:

You can always play Rosanne Barr's version.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#343 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 February 2021 - 10:57 AM

TPM has a piece on the impact that the January 6 Insurrection had on democracy. Legislators trying to do their job are now worried about being attacked and possibly murdered for doing their jobs. This is what all but 10 House Republicans are defending. This is what all but maybe 4 or 5 Senate Republicans will soon defend. This is what state Republican Parties are defending as they punish the unfaithful. This is what the near entirety of the Republican Party is defending and it's what it now stands for. In full:

One repeated theme in this impeachment trial is the forward-facing threat that failing to convict Trump would create.

“Prevent this from being only the beginning, as President Trump said,” Rep. Ted Lieu (D-CA) implored the Senate. “Deter future presidents who do not like the outcome of a national election from believing they can follow in President Trump’s footsteps.”

Impeachment and conviction, we’ve heard the managers say a few times, are ultimately preventative steps: Stop this from happening again. They’re also about making sure the damage of the Jan. 6 insurrection doesn’t go unaddressed.

We need only revisit 2020 to see what that looks like: I reported last month on the state legislatures that experienced violent mobs last year — in Michigan, Oregon, and Idaho.

The lingering threat of political violence, legislators told me, still hangs over the work they do daily. It has chilled the democratic process and made elected representatives afraid for their own safety, and in some cases hesitant to fully express their views.

“Now I’m like, ‘Well gosh, does it really make sense to get up and make a big speech about why I’m making this vote, or is that just going to land 50 armed guys terrorizing my family outside my House?’” Idaho state Rep. Ilana Rubel, a Democrat and state House minority leader, told me. She added: “It’s a real impediment to a free and open democracy.”

The Michigan legislature, as the House impeachment managers highlighted, was stormed last year by armed gunmen upset with public health restrictions who menaced lawmakers. Several lawmakers invested in protective gear like bulletproof vests and mace afterward.

A Michigan state senator, Dayna Polehanki, told me she was determined to continue working on her constituents’ behalf, “however, I’m also going to have to protect myself with all of this protective gear because the threat of violence to us is real.”

On Thursday, the House managers focused both on the personal impacts of the trauma experienced by lawmakers, maintenance staff, and congressional aides, but also the chill on the democratic process that had already taken hold.

“President Trump’s high crimes and misdemeanors sought to nullify the political rights and sovereignty of the American people — our right as a people to deliberate, to form opinions, to persuade each other to vote, and then to decide who our president will be,” lead manager Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD) argued.

Trump’s actions, he added, “were a direct attack on our own freedom of speech in the Capitol: Members of congress are sent here to speak for their constituents. That’s why we have our own little mini free speech clause, the Speech and Debate Clause.”

“The attack that president trump incited forced members of Congress to stop speaking, and to literally flee for our lives.”

The words of one unnamed staffer, who was on the floor of the House at the time of the attack, recalled those of the state legislators I interviewed: “The sound of those window panes popping, you know, I won’t forget that sound.”

If you support the Republican Party you are now standing in direct opposition to American democracy and the Constitution. No amount of whining about budget priorities or tax policy can change that. I view this as the single most defining political moment in my lifetime and perhaps since the Civil War. You're either for America or you're against it. There is no longer room for trying to be a conscientious objector or for any type of support for the GOP.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#344 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 February 2021 - 11:45 AM

The right-wing march to downplay January 6 is happening in full force. The current strategy is to downplay the death of Officer Brian Sicknick of the Capitol Hill Police. They're trying to paint it as "See! They didn't really kill him so it's not that big of a deal." The likes of the National Review and Tucker Carlson are in the disgusting, treasonous, un-American, fascist forefront. Paywalled so here it is in full:

At least five people died during the events of January 6th on Capitol Hill. More than 100 Capitol Police officers were injured, at least 15 of whom required hospitalization. Two Capitol Police officers took their own lives in the days immediately following the assault, presumably spurred by trauma and/or guilt over the insurrection. But the death of Officer Brian Sicknick has loomed over the events of the January 6th like no other. While others were bludgeoned or attacked and could have died of their injuries the fact that Sicknick did die added a gravity to the events of January 6th it would not, for better or worse, otherwise have had.

Because of this, a new ‘truth movement’ has begun to crop up on the right suggesting Sicknick’s death was unrelated to the insurrection and may even be part of a cover-up to tarnish the reputation of Donald Trump and the MAGA movement. It’s ugly and utterly predictable.

This first came to my attention when I read this article by Andrew McCarthy in The National Review. McCarthy’s piece is part of a common pattern. Conspiracy theories arise in obscure publications or on 4chan style message boards. They are then laundered into more respectable publications, with the balder lies and innuendos trimmed back, from which they enter the mainstream media discourse. As a lawyer, McCarthy comes at the issue as a technical evidentiary matter, claiming that the article of impeachment against Donald Trump is in fact deficient because the House impeachment managers have not explained precisely how Sicknick died or who killed him. “Democratic impeachment managers have a duty to explain how Officer Sicknick died,” the article’s subhed intones.

McCarthy uses a mix of innuendo and ‘just asking questions’ style reasoning to suggest that in fact Sicknick died of natural causes on the day of the insurrection. Only a rush to judgement and a desire to impugn the the reputation of Republicans led people to claim that pro-Trump insurrectionists were responsible for it.

As with most conspiracy theories, this one begins with a grain of truth. We don’t know exactly how Sicknick died. The proximate cause of death appears to have been a blood clot in the brain, a stroke. But what caused it is not clear. The uncertainty goes back to the earliest press accounts which tell us that Sicknick engaged with the insurrectionists, returned to his office and then collapsed. These mingled with reports that Sicknick had been hit over the head with a fire extinguisher. But these were always less clear and subsequent videos showing a different officer being hit with a fire extinguisher suggests this may have a conflation of two separate events.

The lack of information about Sicknick’s death is part of a larger paucity of information, more than a month after the insurrection. To date, federal authorities have only held a single press conference about the event. Many observers have reasonably asked why we don’t know more about how Sicknick died and why no one has been charged with his death.

At the moment we only have reports based on anonymous sources. But the delay in charging anyone seems in part because investigators have not been able to piece together precisely what injury caused his death. A CNN story from a week ago reported that investigators have not been able to isolate what lead to Sicknick’s death after reviewing video tape evidence. A law enforcement source told CNN an autopsy did not find evidence of blunt force trauma which would support the early report of being hit over the head with a fire extinguisher. Without obvious signs of physical trauma, according to the CNN report, investigators have considered the possibility that a chemical irritant in pepper spray or bear spray used by insurrectionists could have caused a reaction leading to Sicknick’s. Shortly before his death, Sicknick texted his brother Ken that he’d pepper sprayed a couple times while engaging with the insurrectionists but was otherwise okay.

These are key details to get to the bottom of. But it’s important to step back from this skein of bad faith innuendo to note the obvious point. Sicknick engaged with insurrectionists who had violently breached the Capitol for the first time in more than two centuries. He returned to his Capitol office, collapsed and subsequently died after being transported to the hospital. The idea that this fit 42 year old man, in apparently good health, happened to die of natural causes at just that moment is, while theoretically possible, basically absurd. Yet, by the end of his article, McCarthy is treating the idea that Sicknick died in the line of duty as a borderline absurd hypothetical. “Clearly,” he agrees, “if Officer Sicknick died because of something the rioters did, that is a serious matter.”

McCarthy does do us the favor of telling us the where he’s been getting his ideas about Sicknick’s death. Tucker Carlson’s show is one place. But McCarthy bases his account and links to this article in a publication called “Revolver”, which bills itself as the “new Drudge.” The article appears to be the work of Darren Beattie, a former Trump speechwriter who was fired from the White House for attending a White Nationalist conference before being appointed to a board which oversees Holocaust commemoration shortly after the November election. Calling it a “blood libel” against the MAGA movement, the article’s lede gives you a good sense of where they’re coming from.

The stakes are high: Officer Sicknick’s death is the only purported death by a largely tourist crowd that was let into the building by police, stayed inside the velvet ropes, seemed at least partly there out of confusion, for social media clout, or just for the memes, and that even the New York Times conceded caused limited property damage.

The revolver article suggests a plot to either kill Sicknick or blame his unrelated death on the pro-Trump insurrectionists. The article suggests that Sicknick was cremated to destroy the evidence about how he really died.

Unannounced to anyone except incidentally in that Sicknick’s memorial remains turned up in an urn instead of a coffin, Sicknick’s body has been cremated. That means no further forensic analysis can be done to establish the cause or time of Sicknick’s death. Why, one must wonder, would a family still searching for answers, who has no autopsy results, no death certificate, and no medical report, authorize a cremation? Did they?

Now the Sicknick “truth” movement has made its way to The National Review, the Tucker Carlson show, disgraced former Trump advisor Steve Bannon’s show and appears ready to take off as the MAGA movement’s latest effort to normalize, excuse and embrace the January 6th insurrection.

#345 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:08 PM

The schadenfreude! It hurts!

Trump-allied lawyer and conspiracy theorist Lin Wood says he’s representing Sidney Powell in a $1.7 billion defamation lawsuit filed against her by Dominion Voting Systems. “Get ready to rumble, Dominion,” Wood wrote in a social media post Friday morning. “You made a mistake suing Sidney. You are going to pay a heavy price.” Wood has been forced to undergo a mental health exam in order to keep his law license after he made several bizarre social media posts, including one calling for then-Vice President Mike Pence to be shot. He said Powell called him Thursday night to ask for his help. Powell might need it: When Dominion tried to serve her with court papers, they had to hire a private investigator, pursue her across state lines and, eventually, have a bizarre 15-minute standoff on a driveway.

I have to admit that if I had gotten to pick I would have given her Giuliani. I think Wood is even better, and by better I mean more entertaining.

EDIT: TDB has details on Powell getting served. This line sums it up nicely.

“It was weird as shit.”

#346 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2021 - 10:46 AM

Mitch McConnell Proved He’s Even More Craven Than Ted Cruz

That impeachment vote in the Senate was tough to swallow, with 43 Republicans voting to acquit Trump for the insurrection done in his name, by people waving his flag. Even more gag-worthy was Sen. Mitch McConnell’s speech afterwards—blaming Trump for the wannabe coup minutes after voting to let him off.

“The most galling statements for me were the ones from the Mitch McConnells and the Rob Portmans and the Marco Rubios after they voted to acquit Donald Trump, basically saying, ‘Well, you know, the whole coup thing was kind of bad and I wish you wouldn't have tried to do it. And I wish a cop wouldn't have died. And you know, he made some bad choices. But you know, I had no choice,’” Tim Miller, writer-at-large for The Bulwark, tells Molly Jong-Fast on the latest edition of The New Abnormal.

But of course, McConnell and his crew did have a choice. The House impeached Trump on Jan. 13. The Senate decided to take a vacation, rather than take up the case right away. And once the vacations were over and Biden was sworn in, they decided against all reason and precedent that an ex-official like Trump somehow couldn’t be convicted.

“For Mitch McConnell to be like, ‘I really wanted to do it, but…’ Bullshit. The only reason that you didn't do it was because of you. It is galling. Give me a hundred [militia-friendly Rep.] Lauren Boberts—who are too stupid to know that it was bad, or Ted Cruzes—who are sociopaths—over Mitch McConnell, trying to try to tell me that he has some feelings about this. Give me a break,” Tim says.

#347 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7951 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 February 2021 - 11:55 AM

LFC, on 16 February 2021 - 10:46 AM, said:

McConnell is all about power. He's had it for a while now and isn't going to give it up. Cruz would like to be in that position but McConnell is way ahead of him in seniority and experience so Cruz pops up here and there trying to get in the spotlight. If McConnell drops dead I wonder who Senate Republicans would choose to replace him? I kinda think it won't be Cruz. Beto O'Rourke came too close to beating him in Texas in 2018. He's vulnerable.

#348 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:26 PM

This online Australian news source does a great job at cataloguing Trump's failures to overturn the election in the courts. The right-wing lie, part of The Big Lie, that the courts never actually looked at the evidence are shown to be just that, a lie.

If you have followed much news coverage of the US election and its aftermath, chances are you’ve read that President Donald Trump and his legal team have failed to prove their claims of widespread voter fraud in court.

Mr Trump has a simple explanation for that failure, and it’s worth considering.

According to the President, the problem is not a lack of evidence supporting his allegations. Rather, it’s that judges across the United States have refused to even look at the evidence, and have instead dismissed case after case based on legal technicalities.

This argument really came into focus last Friday, when the US Supreme Court rejected a lawsuit from Texas Attorney-General Ken Paxton.

Mr Trump had largely pinned his hopes of overturning the election result on that lawsuit, which he labelled “the big one” and “the case everyone has been waiting for”.

Reacting to the Supreme Court’s decision, Mr Trump said it had “zero interest in the merits” of Mr Paxton’s case and had “chickened out” of considering them.

The President has been making similar complaints about other lawsuits for weeks.

“We’ve not gotten any court to judge this on its merit,” he said on December 12, quoting Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick.

“We’re not allowed to put in our proof. They say you don’t have standing,” he told Fox Business in an interview on November 29.

Mr Trump’s lawyers have echoed this argument, repeatedly insisting the evidence proving fraud exists and they merely need a chance to present it.

“What we have asked for in court is to not have the certification of false results. And so to say, ‘Hold on a minute, we have evidence that we will present to the court.’ We haven’t had an opportunity yet to present that to the court,” Rudy Giuliani said during his rather famous media conference on November 19.

You get the picture. So, is Mr Trump’s explanation correct? Have judges really refused to hear the evidence?

What I’m going to do here is walk you through the key judgments from the last six weeks, examining whether or not judges at federal and state level considered the merits of the President’s allegations before throwing out each lawsuit.

#349 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 February 2021 - 04:10 PM

Forcing Republicans into accountability will likely cause them to become completely and totally treasonous. There isn't a shred of evidence that the GOP has any interest in governing, only in war. It seems like they're always the war party. It's just now that they've decided to fight as domestic terrorists instead of conquering imperialists.

During former President Donald Trump's two impeachment trials — one for trying to bully a foreign power into interfering in a U.S. election, the other for inciting the violent insurrection of January 6 — it wasn't unusual to hear Republicans commenting that impeachments are bad because they are so divisive. But journalist Mark Leibovich, in a New York Times article published on February 16, stresses that Republicans in Congress will be singing a very different tune if they regain control of either the U.S. House of Representatives or the U.S. Senate in the 2022 midterms.

"In a broader sense, officials of both parties have suggested that regular impeachments may just become one of several regular features of a new and bitter normal in our politics," Leibovich writes. "Previously rare or unthinkable measures could simply start happening all the time."

Leibovich pointed to Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina as a perfect example of a Republican who flip-flops on impeachment. The former 2016 Trump critic turned devoted Trump sycophant decried both of Trump's impeachments as an outrage, but he recently suggested that Vice President Kamala Harris could be impeached in the future.

"I don't know how Kamala Harris doesn't get impeached if the Republicans take over the House," Graham told Fox News on Sunday, February 14. The day before that, Graham voted "not guilty" on the "incitement to insurrection" charge that Trump was facing. But he argued that Harris, in the future, could become a target for impeachment because of a 2020 tweet in which she supported a bail fund for Black Lives Matter protesters in Minneapolis.

"She actually bailed out rioters," Graham claimed. Actually, Harris supported bail for nonviolent BLM protesters — the former San Francisco district attorney and California attorney general never defended rioting or looting, only peaceful protest following the brutal killing of George Floyd. But it comes as no surprise that Graham, who was gung ho for President Bill Clinton's impeachment in 1998 and 1999, and other Republicans would take Harris' statements out of context.

Several former GOPers are cited as believing that this is what will come. I'd like to note that in 2016 multiple Congressional Republicans said that they would impeach Hillary Clinton on Day 1 if she won the election so this brand of treason is nothing new.

#350 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 February 2021 - 06:10 PM

Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-TX) has tried to stake out a position on higher ground, calling for sanity on the right. As Charlie Sykes writes it's just more bullshit and grift from a Republican who has been up to his ears in this garbage.

Texas Congressman Dan Crenshaw has some deep thoughts about what ails right-wing politics these days.

There is, he says, way too much “performance,” rather than persuasion. Too much much grift; too much talking about “fighting” and “owning the libs in the snarkiest of fashions.”

In a column headlined, “What It Really Means To ‘Fight’” — published in the lib-owning Daily Wire — Crenshaw makes the case for a politics of reason and persuasion.

Too often, Crenshaw writes, “politicians and pundits who scream ‘Fight!’” are creating a “conservative safe safe space” which will not bring us to what he calls “real cultural and political progress.”

“The dirty little secret,” he writes, is that “some of the influencers or pundits” who “scream the loudest about ‘getting out and fighting’” are not, in fact, interested in “real solutions.” Rather, “their dedication to the cause is based on monetary return” by continually feeding the beast “and the beast is especially hungry when it is angry.”

The piece is winning Crenshaw accolades.

And, indeed, it is good, strong stuff. Unless you consider that the author is himself one of the Trumpiest grifters extant.

Sykes proceeds to eviscerate Crenshaw with details, quotes, pictures, and videos. Dan Crenshaw is and has continually been part of the House Treason Caucus and this one little piece written for political expedience doesn't change a thing. Of course he COULD write a piece where he calls out the Treason Caucus, confesses to his own complicity, admits to all of his lies and attacks, and promises to defend America but we all know the odds of that happening.

#351 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:40 AM

Boebert, a.k.a. GED Barbie.

Posted Image

#352 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2759 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:29 AM

You could have called her McDonalds Barbie too.

Boebert dropped out of high school because she was "starting her family", as she puts it. If she was a black teen mom, I think she'd be treated differently by the GOP base. Plus, a shotgun wedding seems to erase all concerns.

I'm happy to salute anyone who can lift themselves out of a bad family situation. But she seems more than a few fries short of a Happy Meal. If her restaurant sold a kids meal, the toy would be a Rambo action figure.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#353 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:56 AM

They're all compensating. She doubly over.

#354 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7951 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:17 PM

Meet SG3: the elite legal squad that vowed to safeguard the election.

Eleven months before the Senate impeachment trial exposed an unprecedented level of political savagery, Waxman quietly prepared for the worst. He reached out to two other former Solicitors General, Walter Dellinger and Donald Verrilli, who served as the Clinton and the Obama Administrations’ advocates, respectively, before the Supreme Court. By April, they had formed a small swat team to coördinate with the Biden campaign. They called themselves the Three Amigos, but the campaign referred to them as SG3. Their goal: safeguarding the election.
They gamed out all sorts of scenarios including federal troops taking drop boxes but:

Even before the Capitol riot, the group had prepared Supreme Court pleadings in case Trump strong-armed Vice-President Mike Pence into rejecting the certification of the Electoral College votes. “We were fully prepared to go to the Supreme Court by nightfall,” Dellinger said by phone from North Carolina, where he teaches at Duke Law School. “We had paper filed and ready.” By then, the Biden campaign had sent the trio hoodies emblazoned with a special “Team SG3” logo.

“Even though we planned for every possible loony scenario we could think of,” he went on, none of them foresaw the Capitol riot.

“We watched in horror as it unfolded,” Waxman said. For months, people had been teasing him about being paranoid. Verrilli recalled, “Seth said in December that we needed to make sure people could get to the building on January 6 to meet.” But an armed insurrection, in which five people died, was beyond the imagination of even the legal profession’s best and brightest.

“The lesson we learned,” Waxman said, “is that the state of our democracy is perilous—even more so than we thought. I am very, very worried.”

#355 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2759 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:12 PM

The polls the author cites are depressing. Emphasis mine:

That festering pathology permeates the base. A January 2020 survey by Larry Bartels of Vanderbilt found that 51 percent of Republicans agreed that “we may have to use force” to save “the traditional American way of life”—a mindset which, he concluded, is rooted in racial animus. One might imagine that last month’s deadly attack on the Capitol would impel Republicans to recoil from embracing violence. But in an AEI survey conducted after the January 6 insurrection, even more Republicans—56 percent—agreed that force may be necessary to preserve the American way of life.

Their sense of dispossession swells. According to the AEI survey, three quarters of Republicans believe that discrimination against whites is as great a problem as that against non-white minorities; 79 percent “agree that the political system is stacked against more traditionally minded people”; 66 percent embrace Trump’s incendiary narrative that Joe Biden was elected through fraud; and, particularly confounding, half blame Antifa for the lethal insurrection Trump’s mendacity inspired.

This intellectual incoherence typifies the hostility to reason which nourishes the GOP’s anti-scientific amalgam of fundamentalists, climate-deniers, anti-vaxxers, and antagonists of measures to combat COVID-19. Little wonder that nearly 3 in 10 Republicans believe QAnon’s demented claim that Trump was fighting a global child sex trafficking ring.

https://thebulwark.c...with-democrats/
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#356 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16009 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 07:52 PM

https://www.business...ted-wapo-2021-2
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#357 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:40 PM

Two Wisconsin Republicans who have worked as party officials tried to pass a resolution in the state that violence in the name of politics was not acceptable from any side. It failed.

e are long-time Republicans who have served in GOP leadership at the county, district, and state levels in Wisconsin. After the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, we decided to ask our local Oconto County, Wisconsin Republican Party to consider a non-violence resolution at their 2021 County GOP Caucus.

What happened when we did was revealing.

The premise of our resolution was straightforward and non-partisan:

[A]ll political parties have a civic responsibility to promote their ideals in as productive a way as possible . . . all violence and all actions that may condone violence to attain political ends are destructive to our governance as well as our democratic way of life.

Additionally, the resolution called for a free, open, and civil discourse in the political arena which serves to uphold Republican goals in a unifying rather than a divisive manner. It opposed violence as a means to any political end and condemned all political violence of the past year, be it by members of political parties or by organizations in support of political parties or party agendas.

Finally, it condemned any ongoing or future violence, as well as any incitement to same, used as a calculated means to achieve political ends.

After what has been described by caucus-goers as a “lively back and forth” concerning the intent of and need for such a resolution, the caucus voted the resolution down on a voice vote—estimated for us by attendees at roughly 55 percent against and 45 percent in favor.

There was the sense from those opposed to the resolution that they did not need to be told “what is right and wrong,” so it appears to have struck a personal nerve with some even though we carefully drafted the resolution to express an organizational message that condemned uncivil actions and not specific parties or individuals.

There are, of course, many possible motivating factors behind any individual vote. But we do have some survey data as context. A recent American Survey Center poll found that nearly 4 in 10 Republicans see a legitimate place for political violence in our political discourse.

Which isn’t all that far from the 55 percent who voted against our resolution.

#358 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:43 AM

Rep. Liz Cheney, a literal torture apologist for her daddy, is heading up the House Republican Decency Caucus. This is seriously the best that the party has to offer America. W...T...F? Of course that puts her in a serious minority position. She's bailing the swamp with a bucket paper cup.

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY), the third-ranking House Republican, on Tuesday warned her party against becoming complacent following the deadly Capitol insurrection last month as she urged the GOP to “make clear that we aren’t the party of white supremacy.”

Cheney was one of 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach former President Trump last month for “incitement of insurrection.” The move drew backlash from both Trump loyalists in Congress as well as Republicans in her own state. Despite refusing to apologize for voting in favor of Trump’s impeachment, and the Wyoming GOP censuring her, Cheney held onto her leadership post in a secret-ballot vote.

During a virtual foreign policy event hosted by the Reagan Institute on Tuesday, Cheney called on Republican lawmakers to forcefully condemn those responsible for the Capitol insurrection last month that left five dead, so that the GOP isn’t tarnished with the reputation of condoning white supremacy.

“It’s very important for us to ignore the temptation to look away,” Cheney said. “It’s very important, especially for us as Republicans, to make clear that we aren’t the party of white supremacy.”

Cheney noted anti-Semitic remarks, symbols of Holocaust denial and the Confederate flag at the Capitol on Jan. 6.

“I think we as Republicans, in particular, have a duty and an obligation to stand against that, to stand against insurrection,” Cheney said.

#359 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16009 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:17 AM

Didn't you mean teaspoon, not paper cup?
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#360 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7951 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 12:07 PM

LFC, on 24 February 2021 - 08:43 AM, said:

Rep. Liz Cheney, a literal torture apologist for her daddy, is heading up the House Republican Decency Caucus. This is seriously the best that the party has to offer America. W...T...F? Of course that puts her in a serious minority position. She's bailing the swamp with a bucket paper cup.

People are confusing, aren't they? Torture is okay when used against radical Islamic terrorists who are not US citizens. She doesn't see it as white supremacy maybe. But when it comes to internal US affairs white supremacy isn't okay. Perhaps it's only not okay when it reveals itself as it did on 1/6.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users