119 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16005 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 02:15 PM

Pete Buttigieg is a near-certainty for Biden's Cabinet

One near-certainty about Joe Biden's Cabinet: Pete Buttigieg will be in it. Biden officials have made clear to donors and party officials the question surrounding Buttigieg is not if, but where, he lands, Democrats close to Biden tell Axios.

The intrigue: Behind that certainty, though, are a range of questions about how to put his obvious political talent to use.
  • The multilingual Buttigieg has told friends he wants U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, but he may face internal competition from Julie Smith, a longtime Biden foreign policy confidant.
  • Former diplomats Wendy Sherman and Linda Thomas-Greenfield are other possibilities.
  • Rep. Ted Deutch from Florida also has expressed interest.
Other slots for Buttigieg range from Housing and Urban Development to Veterans Affairs to the Office of Management and Budget.

“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2759 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 09 November 2020 - 02:19 PM

View PostAnBr, on 09 November 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

He should be put in a place where he gets to speak and take questions constantly. He's brilliant. If not the U.N. spot, I'd like to see him as press secretary, who could confound right wing news reports from Fox, OAN, Newsmax, etc. That's never seen as a "high profile reward", but it would be a great place for his talents. I don't think he'd feel slighted. Being a former soldier, he understands the code of service.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#3 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16005 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 02:24 PM

I just hope Biden leaves Dem Senators in the Senate, at least those without a Dem gov of their state to replace them with another Dem Appointment. Even so, any special elections to replace them are potentially a gamble.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#4 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 November 2020 - 02:34 PM

Biden named his chief-of-staff.

President-elect Joe Biden announced on Wednesday night that he had picked Ron Klain to be his White House chief of staff as the current Trump administration continues to stonewall the Biden team’s transition process in President Donald Trump’s corrupt refusal to accept his defeat.

Biden praised Klain, who served as his chief of staff back when Biden was vice president and who was also senior adviser to the Democrat’s campaign, as someone who “has been invaluable to me over the many years that we have worked together.”

“His deep, varied experience and capacity to work with people all across the political spectrum is precisely what I need in a White House chief of staff as we confront this moment of crisis and bring our country together again,” the President-elect said in a statement.

Klain called the appointment an “honor of a lifetime” in a statement of his own.

“I look forward to helping him and the Vice President-elect assemble a talented and diverse team to work in the White House, as we tackle their ambitious agenda for change, and seek to heal the divides in our country,” he said.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 November 2020 - 12:21 PM

Biden's campaign manager is likely to be his Deputy Chief of Staff.

President-elect Joe Biden’s campaign manager is expected to join the incoming administration as a deputy chief of staff, NBC News and CNN reported on Monday.

Jen O’Malley Dillon’s anticipated hire for the job — her first in the White House — comes after last week Biden announced Ron Klain would be joining his administration as chief of staff.

O’Malley Dillon joined the Biden campaign back in March and became the first woman to lead a winning Democratic presidential race, moving the President-elect’s campaign from the primary field into a general election battle that helped Biden claim a handful of battleground states that had been won by his predecessor in 2016 and ultimately relegated Donald Trump to a single term.

O’Malley Dillon has held a number of top roles in Democratic operations, including executive director of the Democratic National Committee and the founding partner at Democratic consulting firm known as Precision Strategies.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#6 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 November 2020 - 01:09 PM

Why do I have a vague feeling of nauseating deja vu?

Despite the multitude of scandals that erupted throughout President Donald Trump’s time in the Oval Office, President-elect Joe Biden is reportedly leery of investigating his predecessor once he’s sworn in.

According to NBC News, Biden is privately worried that pursuing investigations into Trump’s tax returns or the way the President has used his power to shield his criminal associates would alienate Trump voters and stir up division.

Advisers for Biden told NBC News that the President-elect “just wants to move on” and will be “more oriented toward fixing the problems and moving forward than prosecuting them.”

Biden reportedly wants to restore legitimacy to a Justice Department that Trump has gleefully weaponized as his own personal law firm under Attorney General Bill Barr. For the President-elect, “the most important thing on this is that he will not interfere with his Justice Department and not politicize his Justice Department,” another adviser told NBC News.

Here's Josh Marshall's take. It's paywalled so here's the full piece.

NBC is out this morning with an article which seem to signal President-Elect Biden’s “wary” of having the Justice Department scrutinize and possibly indict his predecessor, Donald Trump. It’s a bit of a hard article to decipher. On its face, it simply says that Biden is going to leave prosecutorial decisions to the Justice Department, which is exactly what should happen. A President who makes the DOJ and its prosecutorial power a tool of his personal will is the problem we’re trying to solve not the solution it. But you can also read it as Biden doesn’t want his presidency consumed by the drama and pyrotechnics of investigations and prosecutions of Trump and his family, which sounds a lot like ‘turning the page’ and ‘looking forward not back.’

I will say that characterologically I think this is definitely who Biden is. That’s just my read of the guy, institutionalist, traditionalist, policy-focused. We will have to see how this actually shakes out. There are many cases that are already in process and ones he won’t easily be able to avoid. There is on-going litigation from the State of New York which the DOJ has become involved in trying to thwart – those cases are the most active and immediate threat to Trump and his family. You can learn more about the New York investigations here. Those have always been the prime legal threat hanging over President Trump and that remains the case.

The Southern District of New York appears to have an active investigation of Rudy Giuliani. Was that being held back by Main Justice? The House is still trying to get President Trump’s tax returns. The Biden administration won’t be able to avoid unwinding the Trump administration’s child detention policies or learning what secret deals Trump made with potentates in the Gulf or indicted what it knew about the assassination of Jamal Khashoggi. They’ll know; the question is whether they will disclose it to the public.

I will take this opportunity to renew an argument I’ve been making since last summer, which is that disclosure rather than prosecution should be our national focus.

I outlined the argument here. There are many reasons for this, most important of which is that disclosure really is more important than prosecution for accountability and civic health. But equally important, it’s not either/or. The most important wrongdoing President Trump is responsible for likely doesn’t fit neatly or at all into the bounds of criminal statutes. As Warren Hastings put it, “The only redress for a fraud for which the law had made no provisions is the exposure of it.”

Beyond that, the truth is that we simply don’t know what happened during this dark and lawless four years. The first priority should be finding out. When President Biden becomes President he will inherit all the documentary records of the last four years. All the people who continue to staff the government will answer to and work for him. Just as importantly, all the powers and invocations of privilege will translate from Donald Trump to Joe Biden. Former Presidents have zero say in claims of privilege or secrecy. What has been extended to them in the past is purely a courtesy of the current occupant of the office. That puts the real and critical power of finding out what happened into Biden’s hands.

This is the critical first step. Find out what happened. That will clarify who needs to be held accountable criminally and for what. Such an effort should not be managed by the Justice Department except insofar as it relates specifically to the Trump DOJ’s own actions. The Justice Department’s brief is criminal investigations and depriving lawbreakers of their liberty and property. They operate with a heavy emphasis on secrecy and confidentiality, which are appropriate in most cases when wielding that awesome power. We have seen numerous times – this is a central part of my argument in the piece linked above – that criminal investigations end up leaving the public in the dark. We saw this in the Mueller probe. In the end we found out that much of the most consequential information just isn’t any of our business. And that’s not just because of Bill Barr. It’s baked into the prosecutorial framework. We cannot let that happen when it comes to opening the books on the Trump administration.

As I said last summer, the executive branch needs an audit. And I think it will get it. Indeed, it’s all but inevitable. When you inherit the operation and the records you’ll know what happened. The only question is whether you take some time to put the pieces together and – more critically – let everyone else know. And I am cautiously optimistic that they will.

The more pressing issue in my mind is whether Mitch McConnell will even allow Biden to put someone in charge of the DOJ, assuming he’s still the Majority Leader in January.

The executive branch needs an audit. And now it should get it. It’s not the President’s place to tell the DOJ who to prosecute, though he will set the tone there. That’s the real point of this NBC article. Biden wants to get out of the business of using the DOJ as a weapon, as he should. First, find out what happened. After that things will become more clear.

#7 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7951 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:24 PM

View PostLFC, on 17 November 2020 - 01:09 PM, said:

Why do I have a vague feeling of nauseating deja vu?

Here's Josh Marshall's take. It's paywalled so here's the full piece.

There is a mess, a serious mess that has health and economic disaster looming over the US. How do you show people that government can work to help alleviate and/or repair after the disaster? It's by tackling those things first. To do otherwise, to bring those folks to "justice" first, will be interpreted as revenge taking, as nothing more than gang warfare...something that a lot of people tend to believe anyway.

#8 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4055 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:11 PM

Let the Justice Department hammer everyone in Trump's inner circle, near circle, medium circle, outer circle, etc. Make working for the next authoritarian wannabe so dangerous that anyone considering it will face years in prison.

If Trump isn't prosecuted, but all his idiot children and 90% of his cabinet end up in a cell, it would still be an important step.
And there was much rejoicing. Yay.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

#9 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:24 PM

View PostHockeyDon, on 17 November 2020 - 03:11 PM, said:

Let the Justice Department hammer everyone in Trump's inner circle, near circle, medium circle, outer circle, etc. Make working for the next authoritarian wannabe so dangerous that anyone considering it will face years in prison.

If Trump isn't prosecuted, but all his idiot children and 90% of his cabinet end up in a cell, it would still be an important step.

Agreed. The Republicans have gotten more and more blatant with each previously unacceptable behavior that goes unpunished. This has been going on since Clinton at least. If we let people off the hook here we are greenlighting almost anything with an explicit "Don't worry. You'll never have to pay a price for lawlessness outside of public opinion." It was one of Obama's worst mistakes.

#10 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7951 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:58 PM

View PostHockeyDon, on 17 November 2020 - 03:11 PM, said:

The New York Atty General will have something to say about all this.

#11 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4055 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:01 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 17 November 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

I think only if they're part of the Trump business organization or the (fake) charity. I'm talking about going after any and all of his associates even if they're not involved in Trump Inc. and are only part of his corrupt government.
And there was much rejoicing. Yay.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

#12 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5402 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:05 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 17 November 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

As mentioned before. the SDNY is extremely interested in ANYONE you may have talked to about ANYTHING. As a lawyer friend added: “...including whoever you thought about while at the urinal”
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp
Anonymous

If you've got public schools paid for by taxpayers, you're in a socialist nation. If you have public roads paid for by taxpayers, socialist nation. If you've got public defense (police, fire, military, coast guard) paid for by tax dollars, socialist nation. If you're in a nation that has nationalized or localized delivery of services that are not paid for by users alone, you're in a socialist nation- the only question is how socialist. As I see it, we pay the military pay to protect the shipping lanes for our fuel needs which makes us very socialist. In a capitalist nation, the people supplying the oil would pay for their own defense force.
DC Coronata

“I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.”

Margaret Thatcher

(Select anyone who gets blind loyalty from followers/voters) "...is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life."(Manchurian candidate)

"I can't go out because of the virus" sounds whiny and boring. I'm going with: "I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands." because it sounds more valiant and heroic. As a bonus, people might think you're carrying a sword.

FB posting

Its theorized if you put enough monkeys together with typewriters, eventually they'll write Shakespeare. But first, they write Trump speeches.

FB Posting

Calumny is only the noise of madmen. — Diogenes

When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff. Marcus Tullius Cicero

What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.

Donald Trump

"... I will tell you that the future of this country has never been better."
Pres Donald J Trump, Joint Base Andrews 1/20/21

I get it. They had a guy ratf**k the post office. They filled the courts with hacks. They spent a ton of money. They filed so many lawsuits. They even started a riot ! It’s so unfair that they went to all that trouble and still lost. Anonymous

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:46 PM

This would be awesome.

Former Obama Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland, whom Republicans brazenly blocked at every turn, is being considered for attorney general in the incoming Biden administration, NPR reported on Friday.

If selected, Garland would be saddled with restoring confidence in a Justice Department that, amid the Trump presidency, has drifted far afield from its original nonpartisan mission — routinely playing politics to do Trump’s bidding.

#14 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2416 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:26 PM

If McConnell still has a majority he'll probably block him.

#15 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7951 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:45 PM

Garland should stay where he is. Biden Admin would never get Senate to appoint a decent judge in his place.

#16 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:20 AM

Biden apparently has made his pick for Secretary of State. They can't get Pompeo's corrupt blubberous ass out of there soon enough.

President-elect Joe Biden will reportedly nominate Tony Blinken, who served as Deputy Secretary of State and as Biden’s former national security adviser during the Obama years, to be his secretary of state.

The New York Times and Bloomberg reported on Blinken’s appointment on Sunday.

Additionally, Jake Sullivan, who was also the former vice president’s national security adviser, and Linda Thomas-Greenfield, another Obama administration alum who worked at the State Department, will reportedly be tapped as the President-elect’s national security adviser and ambassador to the United Nations, respectively.

The Biden strategy team dedicated to getting the President-elect’s appointees confirmed did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Ron Klain, Biden’s new White House chief of staff, told ABC News that the President-elect would be announcing his Cabinet nominees on Tuesday, though Klain declined to say which Cabinet spots specifically.

#17 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:41 PM

Janet Yellen for Treasury.

President-elect Joe Biden is poised to nominate former Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen as his Secretary of the Treasury, according the Wall Street Journal first reported Monday afternoon. CNBC and other news outlets quickly confirmed the news.

Like several other Biden appointees, Yellen would be another “first” in a major Cabinet role: No woman has held the position of Treasury secretary before.

Last week, Biden told reporters that he believed his Treasury pick would be accepted by “all elements of the Democratic Party,” including both moderates and progressives.

Prior to her tenure as the Federal Reserve chair, Yellen served as the institution’s vice-chair and the chair of former President Bill Clinton’s economic advisory council.

#18 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7951 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:16 PM

View PostLFC, on 23 November 2020 - 04:41 PM, said:

Glad to see that so far Biden hasn't named any Senators to his cabinet. I didn't think he'd be so dumb as to do that but suspected he'd be under considerable pressure to place Warren and Sanders in cabinet positions to keep their respective small, but loud supporters in the Biden tent.

#19 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:40 PM

John Kerry as climate envoy.

Former secretary of state John Kerry signed the 2015 Paris Agreement on behalf of the United States, a decision subsequently reversed by President Donald Trump.

Now, he is set to be President-elect Joe Biden’s climate envoy, in a clear sign of the upcoming administration’s renewed commitment to fighting climate change.

“I’m returning to government to get America back on track to address the biggest challenge of this generation and those that will follow,” Kerry tweeted shortly after his appointment.

#20 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39567 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:24 AM

The Dept. of Defense will begin working with President-Elect Biden immediately.

The Department of Defense on Monday said it would begin “immediately” working with the incoming Biden administration to support the presidential transition becoming among the first government agencies for formally begin cooperating with President-elect Joe Biden’s team after a Trump-appointed administrator stalled transition.

“We will begin immediately implementing our plan to provide support in accordance with the White House and the Biden-Harris team,” the Defense Department wrote in a statement issued late Monday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users