#81 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8099 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostRaskolnik, on 10 February 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

The 98% figure is misleading. The poll only found that 98% of Catholic women had used birth control at some point in their life. Which is rather like saying that 98% (or 100%) of Catholics have told a lie in their life. It is not that 98% of Catholic women regularly use contraceptives. Also that figure comes in a report from the Guttmacher Institute, PP's polling arm. So consider the source. Anyway, in this study, Guttmacher found that only 31% of Catholic women surveyed used contraceptives.

http://www.guttmache...ceptive-Use.pdf

From your link:

Only 2% of Catholic women rely on natural family
planning; even among Catholic women who attend
church once a month or more, only 2% rely on this
method (not shown). Sixty-eight percent of Catholic
women use highly effective methods: sterilization
(32%, including 24% using female sterilization,) the
pill or another hormonal method (31%) and the IUD
(5%).

Among married women:
Only 3% of married Catholic women who do not
want to become pregnant rely on natural family
planning; 72% use highly effective methods, including
40% who rely on sterilization.

And of course many women, Catholic or not, want children, or have passed reproductive age and no longer need contraception.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#82 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

There are a zillion reasons not to use the pill anyway. A report from a year ago indicated only 17% of women in the US as a whole on it. Given that, if 31% are of Catholic women on "the pill or another hormonal method" that could actually be above average.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#83 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13364 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

View Postindy, on 10 February 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

I don't think it is Obama's doing at all. In fact, I think it's an intentionally drummed up fight from the other side. I also think, in the end, it is a losing one for them.

And I don't really think he's lucky so much as the people picking these fights are stupid.
Its outta here! Post of the evening for this.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#84 primrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

I agree with Rue that using birth control at some point in their lives is a valid statement. You really only need to use birth control for 40 years at most, but since most women don't have sex at 11 or 12, that cuts down some time there. Teenagers are unlikely to start the pill, so the earliest someone might start the pill is 20, and then assuming she is waiting until she is 30 to have kids that's only 10 years and she'll stop using the pill a year or two before, so 9 years there and then of course she is having her kids, most have two so you won't be taking it during that time even if you are spacing it, so let's say 6 to seven years of no pill, but by then you are 37 and may decide to have your tubes tied,also doctors will start suggesting the IUD since you've had kids and most likely you have insurance to pay for it, also by this time more men will have had vasectomies. So many pill usurers drop out of needing it, some might but they aren't going to be using it for more than 10 years or so because of peri-menopause, and such dropping more out.

So you've only got 10 years of devoted pill use, and some 10 years after. That's half the original number which was half an average life anyway.

And of course, some older catholic women started out on rhythm discovered its value and switched.

One only has to look at the average family size to realize that most families do utilize some form of birth control. You only have to talk to older Catholic women to know it isn't the rhythm method. Older Catholic women have very clear views about that method.

#85 Rabiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3723 posts
  • LocationCulver City, CA

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

"One only has to look at the average family size to realize that most families do utilize some form of birth control. You only have to talk to older Catholic women to know it isn't the rhythm method. Older Catholic women have very clear views about that method. "

One only has to look to the Duggars on TLC to see the values of birth control.
Government in particular has an obligation to dismiss any employee who claims a right to discriminate against citizens. - Garret Epps

#86 Baron Siegfried

A renaissance man in a post modern world

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationSW Fla

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

I feel I should point out that the church's position on birth control would be markedly different if altar boys could get pregnant. (yes, mega-snark!)
Ye Truthe Schalle Set Ye Free,
Erst Shalt It Pisse Thee Offe

#87 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8099 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

"I feel I should point out that the church's position on birth control would be markedly different if " ... men could get pregnant. <_<
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users