All Things "Great Man" Theory of History (Hitler, Trump, Elon Musk etc.)

3 replies to this topic

#1 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5242 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:11 AM

Rich T Bikkies, on 24 September 2020 - 07:49 AM, said:

I don't know how much of this you guys know already; it came as a shock to me. There may be mitigating circumstances; however, all it did for me was confirm my tribal gut reaction: show me a billionaire and I'll show you a sociopath, a narcissist, a bully (I need more time to compile a more comprehensive list), and a blight on every country and society that has a billionaire. Also, somebody who can cheaply buy a reputation as a philanthropist, and therefore as a patriot, a saviour of his country, an out-and-out good guy, etc. etc. etc., merely by spending three per cent of his fortune (mostly much less than even that) and fooling g"Ob ullible journalists. Most journos seem to roll over on their backs with their paws in the air and their tongues hanging out when they bump into a philanthropist.

I think this calls for a new thread: the All Things "Great Man" Theory of History thread. We, the human race, need Great Men who are above morality and are visionaries or we we will die out — allegedly. The praise (faugh!) of Elon Musk started me thinking along this line.

It was Nietzsche that started it all with his Übermensch. And Thomas Carlyle with On Heroes and Hero-worship.

I admit that after all I'll have to allow free mention of Elon Musk in this thread — and even discussion of his "visionary" talent (NOT!). I'll deal with it somehow — with clenched teeth, a clothes-peg on my nose and a paper bag over my head. I merely suggest — nay, ask — nay, beseech — that any positive statement assertion be justified by clear statement of the principles of Great Man theory, citing by name which of these principles are being applied.

I am working with Liberty University and Bob Jones University on a scheme whereby research degrees of Master and Doctor may be awarded for the best contributions.

Go for it, George!
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.
Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.
Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#2 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5242 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:27 AM

HockeyDon, on 25 September 2020 - 06:45 AM, said:

Elon Musk?

I've just started this thread, so I'll let you off just this once: read my previous post. So, no offence taken!

But please, in future, poop in the toilet, not in the street. :rolleyes:
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.
Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.
Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#3 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5764 posts
  • LocationAn Anarchist Jurisdiction

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:53 PM

Rich T Bikkies, on 25 September 2020 - 07:11 AM, said:

I am working with Liberty University...

Let's make some posts about the Great Poolboy Theory of History!

My first acquaintance with the Great Man Theory was Tolstoy ridiculing it in War and Peace.
“We are happy to announce that the health of the President is decidedly better, the disease with which he was afflicted having assumed a more favorable aspect.”

--Newspaper article, April 1,1841, three days before the death of William Henry Harrison

#4 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11972 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:11 PM

I'll take diminutive issue with the broad "any billionaire." I will grant you that any billionaire that you've heard of is likely etc. It is possible, however, that someone did good work, planned and executed well, and in the process built up a sound business and fortune. All without stepping into the spotlight to gather personal notice.

It just doesn't seem likely or common.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users