Random Political Posts

62 replies to this topic

#1 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16004 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:41 PM

"As we are experiencing firsthand, you cannot fight the pandemic with lies and disinformation any more than you can fight it with hate or incitement to hatred. The limits of populism and denial of basic truths are being laid bare."

-- Angela Merkel

https://www.cnn.com/...ronavirus-intl/
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#2 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7950 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:53 PM

Yeah but who is gonna listen to that woman?

#3 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9848 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:17 AM

Trump said she's 'stupid' and 'in the pocket of Russians' and he should know.

#4 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16004 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:18 AM

Nothing new, but:

“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#5 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16004 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:33 AM

Posted Image

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#6 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:04 AM

Louisiana Supreme Court upholds Black man's life sentence for stealing hedge clippers more than 20 years ago

A Black Louisiana man will spend the rest of his life in prison for stealing hedge clippers, after the Louisiana Supreme Court denied his request to have his sentence overturned last week.
Fair Wayne Bryant, 62, was convicted in 1997 on one count of attempted simple burglary. In his appeal to the Second Circuit Court of Louisiana in 2018

The great tradition of American justice.

Bryant's sentence is a "modern manifestation" of "pig laws," which were created in the years after Reconstruction, Johnson also said. The laws "criminalized recently emancipated African American citizens by introducing extreme sentences for petty theft associated with poverty," she wrote.

#7 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 09:55 PM

We Americans like to say “We’re No. 1.” But the new data suggest that we should be chanting, “We’re No. 28! And dropping!

A measure of social progress finds that the quality of life has dropped in America over the last decade, even as it has risen almost everywhere else.

The United States, despite its immense wealth, military power and cultural influence, ranks 28th — having slipped from 19th in 2011. The index now puts the United States behind significantly poorer countries, including Estonia, Czech Republic, Cyprus and Greece.
“We are no longer the country we like to think we are,” said Porter.

The United States ranks No. 1 in the world in quality of universities, but No. 91 in access to quality basic education. The U.S. leads the world in medical technology, yet we are No. 97 in access to quality health care.

The Social Progress Index finds that Americans have health statistics similar to those of people in Chile, Jordan and Albania, while kids in the United States get an education roughly on par with what children get in Uzbekistan and Mongolia.

#8 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:21 AM

We Americans like to say “We’re No. 1.” But the new data suggest that we should be chanting, “We’re No. 28! And dropping!

From that link:

The newest Social Progress Index, shared with me before its official release Thursday morning, finds that out of 163 countries assessed worldwide, the United States, Brazil and Hungary are the only ones in which people are worse off than when the index began in 2011. And the declines in Brazil and Hungary were smaller than America’s.

Populist, nationalist strongmen don't seem to be performing very well for their citizens. Who could have seen THAT coming. I wonder where the U.K. will stand a decade from now.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#9 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5493 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:32 AM

LFC, on 10 September 2020 - 10:21 AM, said:

From that link:

Populist, nationalist strongmen don't seem to be performing very well for their citizens. Who could have seen THAT coming. I wonder where the U.K. will stand a decade from now.

You mean, where will England stand a decade from now? There's a better than even odds that there will be no United Kingdom a decade from now.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.
Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.
Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#10 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:46 AM

Rich T Bikkies, on 10 September 2020 - 10:32 AM, said:

You mean, where will England stand a decade from now? There's a better than even odds that there will be no United Kingdom a decade from now.

And that's just the way Vladimir wants it.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#11 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2416 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:00 PM

Photo of a sign posted on Facebook:

"Has anyone tried unplugging the country and plugging it back in again?

#12 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5493 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 05 October 2020 - 01:07 AM

View PostJackD, on 04 October 2020 - 09:00 PM, said:

Photo of a sign posted on Facebook:

"Has anyone tried unplugging the country and plugging it back in again?

All analogies eventually break down; in this case, almost immediately. Trump has pretty effectively unplugged the country. Many thoughtful people appear to be saying that Biden, with the best will in the world, will not succeed in plugging it back in again because . . . well, where to start? I'll just say, start with the presence and culture of the GOP.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.
Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.
Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#13 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:51 AM

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA) said he'll retire at the end of his term in 2023. That's a pretty long-term announcement. I for one will be thrilled to see him go.

Sen. Pat Toomey announced Monday that he won’t run for reelection or governor in 2022, sending shockwaves through the Pennsylvania political establishment.

Toomey said his decision, first reported Sunday by The Inquirer, was a personal and not a political one. He noted he has spent 18 of the last 24 years in elected office and said he wants to spend more time with his family. He said he would complete his Senate term, which ends in early 2023.

“I’m looking forward to more time back at home," Toomey told reporters gathered in Bethlehem for his announcement.

Asked if he thought he could have won another statewide race in 2022, Toomey noted his record of success winning tough House and Senate elections. “I think if I decided to run, I would have, I would have won again,” he said.

#14 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 12:19 PM

View PostLFC, on 05 October 2020 - 09:51 AM, said:

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA) said he'll retire at the end of his term in 2023. That's a pretty long-term announcement. I for one will be thrilled to see him go.

Or in other words, Sen Toomey is suggesting PA is going to go for Biden despite the considerable efforts put by the Republicans to steal the election. Of more pertinence, the Republicans are going to lose control of the Senate. He postulates the Republican party post 2020 will be more rabidly Trump and he is unlikely to win a primary fight. Life is no fun. Sad.

#15 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5980 posts
  • LocationAn Anarchist Jurisdiction

Posted 05 October 2020 - 12:39 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 05 October 2020 - 01:07 AM, said:

Trump has pretty effectively unplugged unhinged the country.

"strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations, unpled in the operative complaint and unsupported by evidence"

#16 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2759 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 05 October 2020 - 01:05 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 05 October 2020 - 12:39 PM, said:

Trump has pretty effectively unplugged unhinged the country.
Well, at least 40% of it. I suspect there is a 20/20 split of that 40. Twenty percent are just tribal and feel they MUST vote for anything with an R on the ballot. But I fear the other 20% are lost in some sort of anti-reality bubble that is impervious to logic, reason, facts, or the consequences of stupidity.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#17 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12112 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 05 October 2020 - 01:48 PM

View Postpnwguy, on 05 October 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

But I fear the other 20% are lost in some sort of anti-reality bubble that is impervious to logic, reason, facts, or the consequences of stupidity.

Some consequences of stupidity can be very, very insistent on getting through to you. Sometimes even your friends (if any), family (if any), and neighbors (if any) notice that you're not annoying them any more.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#18 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5980 posts
  • LocationAn Anarchist Jurisdiction

Posted 05 October 2020 - 01:56 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 05 October 2020 - 01:48 PM, said:

Some consequences of stupidity can be very, very insistent on getting through to you. Sometimes even your friends (if any), family (if any), and neighbors (if any) notice that you're not annoying them any more.
The competition for Darwin Awards has become very intense of late.
"strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations, unpled in the operative complaint and unsupported by evidence"

#19 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39566 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

The Texass AG is in the midst of a complete and corrupt shit-show as well as mutiny. The AG is threatening legal action against the whistleblowers. And it looks like this ain't his first corruption rodeo.

In what’s been described as a “mutiny,” top deputies of Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton signed onto a letter Friday accusing him of everything from “improper influence” to abuse of office, bribery “and other potential criminal offenses.”

Here’s what we know so far:

1 The letter, from Paxton’s top staff, alleges ‘a potential violation of law.’

The news broke Saturday night when Tony Plohetski, a reporter for KVUE and the Austin-American Statesman, revealed a letter in which seven top deputies of Paxton’s announced that they’d informed law enforcement of “a potential violation of law” by Paxton. The staffers also said they’d given statements to law enforcement.

The letter itself didn’t get into specifics about any alleged wrongdoing by Paxton, instead saying only that that his staff believed he “is violating federal and/or state law, including prohibitions relating to improper influence, abuse of office, bribery, and other potential criminal offenses.”

#20 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:13 PM

The happiest man in America today is Jeffrey Toobin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users