2 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34909 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 June 2020 - 10:18 AM

While Tesla has without a doubt pushed further and faster than anybody else I think we can expect the competition to be heating up fast. Here are two entries into the electric pickup truck market that have announced they will be delivering in the next year or two.

The first is a startup called Rivian. They have an interesting approach that shows they aren't just going after market share with completed vehicles. They are creating a "skateboard" chassis that contains the battery, motors, suspension, and control system. On top of that they or anybody they sold it to could build whatever body they wished. Here's their new R1T pickup truck. If reasonably successful I could see them getting sucked up by one of the bigger automakers very easily.

The second is a company called Nikola Motor Company that currently manufactures electric semi trucks. They are also working on a hydrogen fuel cell electric. Their pickup is called the Badger and will be available as either all electric or with a fuel cell. One of the things they touted was that their truck is designed to go after the wildly popular Ford F-150 and not the Tesla. They said this made to be a work truck so its sized and outfitted as one.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11338 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 19 June 2020 - 10:53 AM

And then there's Ford's Mach-E. I'm going to be in the market and require both long range and AWD (along with a chassis I can get into.)

Both the Model Y and Mach-E look acceptable, but while Tesla has maxed out the possible tax breaks Ford hasn't. Perversely that just about evens the actual prices (Ford is about $7500 more when equally equipped.) I actually like the UI of the Ford better but if they keep insisting on pricing it above the market leader I'm not sure WTF they're smoking.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#3 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8273 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:13 PM

Evolution, or not- good luck on finding them, in production right now. THAT'S why you see a stubborn price, within Ford and all the rest. The auto companies are marketing like crazy, but production? A whole different story. It's why you can order a new model…And then wait. And wait. And wait some more. Not the last word, but fairly definitive for now. I'll never wave anybody off of driving electric. We do, and our urban assault vehicle is perfect for us. We love it.

Tesla? SIGH…Currently negotiating a $60 million dollar tax break in our county, to manufacture. Our community is aghast: With property taxes at an all-time high (and some can't even pay mortgages, due to unemployment, let alone the ridiculously high taxes), this is very slimy. It's a fun FU California story, and some jobs. But the people who actually need reason, from their state and county? FU, again.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users