#21 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:58 AM

Probabilistic, on 13 August 2020 - 10:45 PM, said:

USPS is de-installing sorting machines forcing mail to be sorted by hand. We are headed for an absolute disaster.

As I said, on multiple topics, they aren't even pretending anymore. It's a full out daylight assault on democracy.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#22 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2796 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:20 PM

LFC, on 14 August 2020 - 09:58 AM, said:

As I said, on multiple topics, they aren't even pretending anymore. It's a full out daylight assault on democracy.
Dumpster is salivating at the day he can bring troops out into the streets, as he declares victory on Election night and tells his MAGAts to stop any ballot counting in any state where polling station counts put him in the lead. Civil War, 2.0! MAGA hats for the new confederacy.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#23 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:46 PM

pnwguy, on 14 August 2020 - 03:20 PM, said:

MAGA hats for the new confederacy.

I saw them described as the "new socially acceptable Klan hood."
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#24 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12113 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:57 AM

Consider: it's October and the USPS is not delivering the mail. Like, not -- delivery delays in rural areas are stretching out to the point that the voting window is shorter than the one-way delay and the law requires a round trip.

Governor Haddit orders out the National Guard to git'er done. What would the reaction be?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#25 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12113 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:21 AM

And here I was thinking I'd have to hand-carry my ballot to the Capitol:

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/

https://www.dailykos...the-Post-Office

Haven't heard of any similar pushback in NM, but then we don't have any Republicans in Congress.

As for the sorting machines, several hundred multi-million dollar machines have already been trashed. It's not remotely clear how DeJoy justifies this as improving efficiency, but we're talking on the order of a $Billions in the trash this month.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#26 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5539 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:26 AM

D. C. Sessions, on 15 August 2020 - 06:57 AM, said:

Governor Haddit orders out the National Guard to git'er done. What would the reaction be?

My reaction is: why is the default solution to every problem in the USA (or so it seems to me) to send out a squad of men with assault weapons? In some states it's the local police!

"Haddit"? Up to here, I suppose.

Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation. Unknown.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough. Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office. Unknown.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking. Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#27 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5539 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:36 AM

LFC, on 14 August 2020 - 01:24 PM, said:

Always extra points for a good LOTR (or Tom Lehrer or Monty Python) reference.

That was Tom Lehrer and I claim my Brownie points.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking. Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#28 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3244 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 09:31 AM

Posted Image

#29 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12113 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 10:11 AM

Rich T Bikkies, on 15 August 2020 - 08:26 AM, said:

My reaction is: why is the default solution to every problem in the USA (or so it seems to me) to send out a squad of men with assault weapons? In some states it's the local police!

The Guard is rarely armed. Most of the time they're called out in emergencies such as floods, earthquakes, unusually deep snow in the back country, etc.
Right now for instance the NM and AZ Guards are delivering essential supplies such as water, fodder, food, and medical supplies to the Navajo Nation in the Four Corners region, which was hit especially hard when there was a Pentacostal revival in Phoenix attended by thousands of tribal members who went home to spread the Good News and Bad Virus.

The inability to deliver mail during a pandemic and national election is, if inanimate, still within the scope of "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic." And, yes, it has in the past fallen upon the Guard to helicopter in mail as well as hay when a blizzard has closed the roads. For reference, the Navajo Nation is a third the size of Great Britain, with only 173,000 population. Lots and lots of gorgeous [1] nowhere.

[1] Tastes may vary.
— Nate Silver

#30 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 August 2020 - 11:30 AM

WaPo is tracking the reductions in sorting capacity. Don't they look ... interesting. The memos show that this plan was in the works months before DeJoy was put in place. This is a long-term Republican plan to destroy our democracy.

Posted Image

#31 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 August 2020 - 11:55 AM

It's interesting that Florida looks targeted. After all, it has the good governor and the good absentee voting system. Looks like Tampa and Miami, maybe Sarasota/Naples and Orlando. Are those places the bluer parts of the state? BactPhD?

#32 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9625 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 15 August 2020 - 12:16 PM

Sorry, no link. I've read that some states are going after 'intentional disruption' of state elections by those involved with damaging the USPS. And if it's a state charge/conviction. Trump can't pardon anyone found guilty.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

We go low so you don't have to. ~ LP

Person.. woman.. man.. election... vote. ~ Twitter

#33 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2444 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 15 August 2020 - 12:49 PM

The intentional disruption statute is a Federal statute so state authorities wouldn't be able to prosecute violators.

#34 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9625 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:15 PM

I'm obviously not a lawyer. But what I read implied it was regarding in-state races where this might be applied. Not for national offices.

#35 Rich T Bikkies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5539 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:22 PM

I wish I could remember where I read the phrase "The USA is a country sodomised by lawyers". Googling doesn't bring up anything helpful.

#36 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9625 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:23 PM

https://twitter.com/...653242396344322

This is the sort of story that shows the importance of a free press.
(At the same time, probably time to end the "Why is nobody talking about the Postal Service?!?" meme. It's—rightly— become a huge story.)

One other thing that's complicated here is that if Democrats are reading mainstream media sources that are covering this story, while Republicans are reading "alternative"/right-wing sources that largely aren't, that could have various effects...

...the most obvious one being reducing the partisan split in intention to cast votes by mail. But it could also lead to Democratic voters being more diligent overall, e.g. requesting their ballots earlier and sending them in sooner, exploring in-person early voting, etc.

And also hopefully encouraging a larger, more aggressive 'get out the vote' effort. Safely. However that can be done.

#37 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:26 PM

Protestors have shown up at Louis DeJoy's home. You have to expect this when you steal people's rights. They don't much like it.

#38 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:26 PM

LFC, on 15 August 2020 - 11:30 AM, said:

WaPo is tracking the reductions in sorting capacity. Don't they look ... interesting. The memos show that this plan was in the works months before DeJoy was put in place. This is a long-term Republican plan to destroy our democracy.

Posted Image

golden_valley, on 15 August 2020 - 11:55 AM, said:

It's interesting that Florida looks targeted. After all, it has the good governor and the good absentee voting system. Looks like Tampa and Miami, maybe Sarasota/Naples and Orlando. Are those places the bluer parts of the state? BactPhD?

Also Houston, TX & surrounding evnirons.

That sitch with FL is a tad interesting. What I can't tell from the graphic is whether the reduction is over the last 6 months, year-over-year, or since 2015. I'm honestly questioning because my burg shows up as one of the 100K dots (Tallahassee & Pensacola pop up as 2 of the others). However, sorting was moved from this town to Jacksonville in 2016 or thereabouts; a fairly big stink was made about it when the decision was announced. Meaning we have had ZERO pieces of mail sorted here since then. Meaning a piece of mail going from one part of town to another goes to Jacksonville for sorting--no more next-day in-town delivery for us!

The larger (200-300K) circles seem to center on:
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale -- pretty squarely in the blue column, BUT a fair number of older absentee voters
Tampa-St. Pete -- mixed, with Tampa trending red and St. Pete trending purple/ blue. Military families.
Sarasota-Ft. Myers-Naples -- pretty squarely in the red column
Jacksonville -- reliably red, but in something of a transition Again, fair number of military in the region.
Orlando -- mixed

I'm hesitant to draw any conclusions, benign or specifically nefarious, from this map without knowing the time frame.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#39 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:27 PM

Rue Bella, on 15 August 2020 - 01:15 PM, said:

I'm obviously not a lawyer. But what I read implied it was regarding in-state races where this might be applied. Not for national offices.

I'm not either but it seems that tampering with an election is certainly open to state level criminal prosecution.

#40 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:30 PM

Bact PhD, on 15 August 2020 - 02:26 PM, said:

That sitch with FL is a tad interesting. What I can't tell from the graphic is whether the reduction is over the last 6 months, year-over-year, or since 2015.

Since there's zero evidence of modernization or actual improvement of service other than some worthless mealy-mouthing by those involved it appears that this may be a part of the Republicans' mission for a while. It would be interesting to compare 2015-16 to 2017-20.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users