119 replies to this topic

#101 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:59 AM

USPS package delivery has been badly delayed for months partly due to COVID but partly because of Louis DeJoy's assault on their ability to actually deliver. I'm sure there's no coincidence that he's heavily invested in a company that would stand to pick up a whole lotta' business if the Postal Service was forced to outsource.

For months, the US Postal Service has had a backlog of packages and other mail due to a combination of the coronavirus pandemic and recent cost-cutting measures implemented by Postmaster General Louis DeJoy. DeJoy, a Republican donor and ally of President Donald Trump, was appointed in May and has drastically changed the Postal Service in just a few months. He has cut overtime for postal workers, reduced the number of mail trucks, and taken sorting machines out of post offices, as reported by Recode. In August, DeJoy announced he’d put some of these new policies on hold until November after critics said they would likely affect the 2020 presidential election, a type of meddling some worried was intentional.

For thousands of small-business owners across the country who rely on the Postal Service — many of whom had to pivot almost entirely to e-commerce in the wake of the pandemic — the damage has already been done. An internal USPS document obtained by Supply Chain Dive shows the extent of the delays, which postal workers say are ongoing. The document says that workers may “temporarily … see mail left behind or mail on the workroom floor or docks” at the end of a shift, a departure from the standard practice of getting everything out as soon as possible. Some postal workers told the website that Amazon packages are being prioritized, putting small businesses at yet another disadvantage.

“It’s impacting reviews — [small businesses] are getting negative reviews because things are taking a really long time to arrive,” Molly Day, the vice president of public affairs for the National Small Business Association (NSBA), told The Goods. “They shipped it as soon as they got the order, and it’s a week, two week, three weeks later that people are getting it.” Consumers have gotten used to Amazon-style near-immediate shipping, something that’s both expensive and logistically difficult for small businesses to accomplish even in the best of times. Now that people feel less comfortable buying things in person, having orders arrive late is particularly devastating.

Day said the NSBA conducted an “informal poll” of its members and found that 60 percent of respondents said they’ve experienced some kind of postal delay. Nearly two-thirds of the businesses polled, 65 percent, said the USPS was their most commonly used form of business shipment. Seventy-five percent of those polled said they primarily rely on the Postal Service for payments and checks, and 7 percent use it for sending and receiving business goods. In other words, USPS delays affect every aspect of a small business, not just the consumer-facing end. In a September 10 press release, USPS noted an “uptick in service performance, consistent with recent trends.”

Still, business owners say lost packages are another major issue. “We’ve heard stories of people having to replace goods just because they haven’t shown up yet,” Day said.

On Etsy’s forums, sellers who were used to shipping out products to customers across the country before the pandemic commiserate about how the new USPS changes have affected sales and reviews. In one thread, a seller said an order they shipped on July 27 still hadn’t arrived by August 8, a delay of more than a week. “I’m not a huge seller but the amount of lost packages I have right now compared to the amount sold is crazy,” another seller said. Another said they believed the shipping issues were due to USPS cutting overtime for workers. “My carrier works 6 days a week,” one wrote. “He has only been working there about 5 years and 3 years ago they changed his contract to salary. He says that he works 30-40 hours a month unpaid because of this. Imagine the people not on salary.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#102 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:22 PM

The Los Angeles Times ran an experiment on mail service. The newspaper mailed 100 letters from inside LA County.

Overall, 75% of the letters sent by The Times that should have arrived within two business days actually arrived on time. This rate is substantially lower than the Postal Service’s most recent performance metric, which shows a 92.4% on-time delivery rate in April, May and June.

The Times survey found that it is possible for first-class mail to arrive far quicker than the official standards, but it didn’t happen all that often. Of the 60 letters sent to Texas and the East Coast, just 12 were scanned as arriving within three calendar days.

#103 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:19 AM

A judge rules on what everybody already knows: the latest assault on the USPS is all about voter suppression. Read the last sentence I quoted for a non-shocker.

A federal judge on Thursday tore into the Trump administration and Postmaster General Louis DeJoy for using the United States Postal Service as “a tool in partisan politics” and instituting changes that the judge found would disenfranchise voters and diminish confidence in the upcoming elections.

The 13-page preliminary injunction from U.S. District Judge Stanley Bastian, which put a nationwide hold on Postal Service policies that have slowed service, backed up Democrats’ harshest assertions and dismissed DeJoy’s protests that he’s simply seeking to make the agency more efficient.

“Although not necessarily apparent on the surface, at the heart of DeJoy’s and the Postal Service’s actions is voter disenfranchisement,” Bastian wrote, citing the President’s own statements and “the actual impact of the changes on primary elections that resulted in uncounted ballots.”

Separately, the judge said it was easy to conclude that the changes were “an intentional effort on the part of the current administration to disrupt and challenge the legitimacy of upcoming local, state and federal elections.”

Fourteen states, led by Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson, sued over the changes last month.

“Today’s victory protects a critical institution for our country,” Ferguson said in a statement Thursday evening. “Americans can now confidently vote by mail and have their voices heard.”

Responding to the ruling, the election mail committee chair on USPS’ Board of Governor’s, Lee Moak, said “Any suggestion that there is a politically motivated attack on the efficiency of the Postal Service is completely and utterly without merit.” A spokesperson for the Postal Service said separately that while the agency was exploring its legal options, “the Postal Service is ready and committed to handle whatever volume of election mail it receives.”

DeJoy’s changes to the Postal Service — including barring late trips and cutting back on overtime — have resulted in mail slowdowns nationwide, as DeJoy himself acknowledged during congressional testimony last month.

Perhaps most impactful, and among the changes that Bastian froze Wednesday, is DeJoy’s insistence that Postal Service trucks depart USPS facilities “on time” — even if that means empty trucks driving mail routes because their cargo was not ready.

Bastian, in his order, quoted directly from a July USPS memo barring late trips and extra trips, referring to them as a “Leave Mail Behind” policy.

He also took aim at decommissioned mail sorting machines, noting that 72% were located in counties that favored Hillary Clinton in 2016.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#104 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:32 AM

Another less specific attack on the USPS.

In recent weeks, furors over Postmaster General Louis DeJoy’s cost-cutting initiatives, and over President Donald Trump’s unsubstantiated warnings of voter fraud, have overshadowed a significant threat to the Postal Service’s ability to handle the expected tens of millions of mail-in ballots this fall: a rapid rise in the number of workers sidelined by COVID-19.

The total number of postal workers testing positive has more than tripled from about 3,100 cases in June to 9,600 in September, and at least 83 postal workers have died from complications of COVID-19, according to USPS. Moreover, internal USPS data shows that about 52,700 of the agency’s 630,000 employees, or more than 8%, have taken time off at some point during the pandemic because they were sick, or had to quarantine or care for family members.

High rates of absence could slow ballot delivery in key states, especially if there’s a second wave of the coronavirus, as some epidemiologists predict. Twenty-eight states, including Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Florida, require mail-in ballots to arrive by Election Day to be counted.

Even in a normal year, absentee levels of this magnitude “would have a dramatic effect on the mission of the postal service,” said Alan Kessler, an attorney who served on the Postal Service’s Board of Governors during the Clinton and George W. Bush administrations, including as chairman from 2008 to 2011. “When people ask me about November, my biggest concern right now is exactly that — the on-time delivery of mail.” Kessler is a former finance vice chair of the Democratic National Committee.

#105 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9625 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:23 AM

I'm sure De Joy will get right on it.

https://www.mynbc5.c...nwide/34376239#

The U.S. Postal Service agreed Wednesday to reverse changes that slowed mail service nationwide, settling a lawsuit filed by Montana Gov. Steve Bullock during a pandemic that is expected to force many more people to vote by mail.

The lawsuit filed against Postmaster General Louis DeJoy and the U.S. Postal Service on Sept. 9 argued changes implemented in June harmed access to mail services in Montana, resulting in delayed delivery of medical prescriptions, payments and job applications and impeding the ability of Montana residents to vote by mail.

The postal service agreed to reverse all changes, which included reduced retail hours, removal of collection boxes and mail sorting machines, closure or consolidation of mail processing facilities, restriction of late or extra trips for timely mail delivery, and banning or restricting overtime.

The agreement also requires the Postal Service to prioritize election mail.
The settlement agreement was reached a day ahead of a hearing in the U.S. District Court in Great Falls. It applies to all states.

“Montanans never gave up this fight and as a result, we are ensuring stability through and beyond the election by immediately restoring the mail services folks rely on, whether it’s receiving vital medication or ensuring they can pay their bills on time,” Bullock said in a statement.

bold mine
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

We go low so you don't have to. ~ LP

Person.. woman.. man.. election... vote. ~ Twitter

#106 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12113 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:19 AM

WRT Montana: the Montana voter page showed my ballot in the mail Friday and it arrived Saturday.

Yes, I'm in the State capitol. Still, somebody wasn't asleep.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#107 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:25 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 15 October 2020 - 11:19 AM, said:

WRT Montana: the Montana voter page showed my ballot in the mail Friday and it arrived Saturday.

Yes, I'm in the State capitol. Still, somebody wasn't asleep.

No media accounts in California say anything about delayed delivery of ballots from last week. Perhaps we can conclude it wasn't a problem here and anyway there's plenty of time before Election Day for them to arrive.

#108 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9871 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:07 PM

My son forgot to sign his ballot envelope ('forgot' is a polite way of saying he didn't read the instructions on his first vote-by-mail) even though the county clerk's office highlighted (by hand!) the place he needed to sign. The county clerk called him (the clerk, not an assistant) to say she was mailing it back to him so he could sign and return.

Now that's service.

#109 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12113 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:33 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 15 October 2020 - 12:25 PM, said:

Perhaps we can conclude it wasn't a problem here and anyway there's plenty of time before Election Day for them to arrive.

That sounds like a challenge.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#110 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:30 PM

View Postindy, on 15 October 2020 - 01:07 PM, said:

My son forgot to sign his ballot envelope ('forgot' is a polite way of saying he didn't read the instructions on his first vote-by-mail) even though the county clerk's office highlighted (by hand!) the place he needed to sign. The county clerk called him (the clerk, not an assistant) to say she was mailing it back to him so he could sign and return.

Now that's service.

In California there are two big reasons why vote by mail ballots aren't counted. The first is that it was not postmarked on or before Election Day. The second is that someone didn't sign the envelope. California requires voters to have a chance to sign or correct the signature if it's absent or doesn't compare. I'll bet your state has the same law. I mean, yeah it's nice, but it probably happened because it's the law to do so.

#111 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:51 PM

A real judge lands on DeJoy and his destruction of the USPS. The specific demands made and the incredibly tight timelines are incredible for a court system that seems to take weeks or months to do anything. Clearly the judge has had enough and Election Day is so close.

Albeit grudgingly, the USPS coughed up statistics Wednesday ordered by a vexed federal judge about late deliveries and extra trips to collect mail as voters across the country worry that their ballots will not be delivered in time to be counted.

Judge Emmet Sullivan of the District Court for the District of Columbia had already reversed mail collection limitations set by President Donald Trump’s Postmaster General Louis DeJoy amid outcry that the administration appeared to be trying to sabotage mailed ballots. On Tuesday, Sullivan granted the plaintiffs’ pleas to force the USPS to actually comply with that previous order.

“There are less than two weeks until Election Day,” the plaintiffs wrote in their emergency motion. “Every day until then, hundreds of thousands of voters will be attempting to obtain and return their mail-in and absentee ballots. There is an urgent need for prompt action to remedy Defendants’ failure to comply with the Court’s injunction and to ensure that the unlawful July 2020 Policy Changes have not compromised the timely delivery of mail.”

The plaintiffs — four voters — claimed that the USPS has been dragging its feet in complying with the order, and that data through October 15 shows that the number of extra and late trips to ensure that all the mail gets collected has remained severely depressed from where it was before DeJoy imposed his changes.

Sullivan agreed, and issued an unusually detailed list of demands to force the USPS to comply with his order.

He ordered the USPS to send around directives to personnel to make abundantly clear that mail carriers are not to follow DeJoy’s instructions that would slow mail delivery. He ordered that those directives be sent out by 9 a.m. Wednesday morning, mere hours after his Tuesday night order.

“USPS personnel are instructed to perform late and extra trips to the maximum extent necessary to increase on-time mail deliveries, particularly for Election Mail,” he wrote. “To be clear, late and extra trips should be performed to the same or greater degree than they were performed prior to July 2020 when doing so would increase on-time mail deliveries.”

He also demanded that the USPS file statistics every day by 10 a.m. about extra and late trips taken during the preceding day “at the Nation, Area, and District level, including any available data that is specific to Election Mail,” as well as data concerning the percentage of on-time deliveries. On top of all that, Sullivan also ordered a daily afternoon teleconference status updates.

The USPS met the Wednesday morning deadline and provided the requested statistics, though not without griping about it.

#112 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9625 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:11 PM

It's so late in the game I doubt it will help much.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

We go low so you don't have to. ~ LP

Person.. woman.. man.. election... vote. ~ Twitter

#113 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:15 PM

"Mission accomplished!" --Louis DeJoy

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's sweeping and destructive effort to slash operating costs at the U.S. Postal Service has made an already difficult time of the year even more chaotic for the beloved agency, threatening the prompt delivery of millions of Christmas-time packages as strained postal employees tirelessly work their way through mounting backlogs.

The Washington Post reported late Monday that a "perfect storm of crises"—the coronavirus pandemic, an unprecedented level of online orders, and DeJoy's operational changes—is wreaking havoc on the agency, which has seen drastic performance fall-offs since the postmaster general began implementing his agenda over the summer.

"This is a long, hard struggle. We're asking for your patience, and no delayed gift should take away from the valuable family time and the reason people come together and celebrate."
—Mark Dimondstein, American Postal Workers Union

"Mail performance has plummeted: Only 75.3 percent of first-class mail, such as letters and bills, arrived within the standard one- to three-day delivery window the week of December 5, according to the most recent agency data available," the Post reported. "This time last year, the mail service's on-time score was closer to 95 percent."

"Adding to the slowdowns," the Post noted, "is on-the-ground confusion over the cost-cutting initiatives that Postmaster General Louis DeJoy implemented during the summer and then paused at the direction of five federal courts. The Postal Service has appealed several of those rulings."

A Michigan postal worker told the Post that "as bad as you think it is, it's worse."

"No parcels are moving at all," said the unnamed worker.

Mark Dimondstein, national president of the 200,000-member American Postal Workers Union (APWU) stressed that postal employees are doing their absolute best to ensure that Christmas gifts and other packages—including prescription medications and benefit checks—are delivered as quickly as possible. As the Post reported, mail carriers in busy areas are "working upward of 80 hours a week, including some who have worked every day since Thanksgiving without a weekend."

#114 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6017 posts
  • LocationAn Anarchist Jurisdiction

Posted 22 December 2020 - 02:31 PM

View PostLFC, on 22 December 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

"Mission accomplished!" --Louis DeJoy

Just describe it as a Republican War on Christmas.
"strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations, unpled in the operative complaint and unsupported by evidence"

#115 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 February 2021 - 06:08 PM

DeJoy continues his quest to destroy the USPS.

With Postmaster General Louis DeJoy reportedly preparing to unveil plans for another round of service cuts and operational changes as soon as this week, President Joe Biden is facing growing calls from lawmakers, mail carriers, and others to take urgent steps to protect the U.S. Postal Service from further damage, pave the way for DeJoy's removal, and shore up the agency's finances for the near and distant future.

The Washington Post reported over the weekend that DeJoy—a Republican megadonor to former President Donald Trump—soon intends to "outline a new vision for the agency, one that includes more service cuts, higher and region-specific pricing, and lower delivery expectations."

Biden may be maneuvering to throw him out.

Appointed unanimously by the Trump-appointee-dominated Postal Service Board of Governors in May despite his complete lack of experience with the Postal Service, DeJoy wasted no time imposing sweeping operational changes at the mail agency that resulted in precipitous drops in performance in the weeks ahead of, during, and after the November presidential election—prompting accusations of politically motivated sabotage of the nation's most popular government institution.

While DeJoy was forced to temporarily suspend some of his operational changes last year in the face of a nationwide uproar and numerous court injunctions, the postmaster general now appears intent on moving forward with his plan to cripple the agency—a plan that has Democratic lawmakers and postal workers clamoring for action from the Biden administration.

Because Biden is prohibited by statute from firing DeJoy directly, congressional Democrats are urging the president to terminate every sitting postal governor—including those who publicly cheered on the postmaster general's changes as they produced major package backlogs nationwide and slowed delivery of prescription medicines and mail-in ballots—and replace them with officials willing to remove the postmaster general and protect the agency.

"My solution starts at the top: firing the whole board who presided over Trump and DeJoy's wrecking of USPS. Clean house," Rep. Bill Pascrell, Jr. (D-N.J.) tweeted Sunday.

Late last month, as Common Dreams reported, Pascrell became the first congressional Democrat to call on Biden to remove the sitting members of the Board of Governors, which currently consists of four Republicans and one Democrat—all appointed by Trump. Under federal law, the president has the authority to remove postal governors "for cause."

"The board members' refusal to oppose the worst destruction ever inflicted on the Postal Service was a betrayal of their duties and unquestionably constitutes good cause for their removal," argued Pascrell.

#116 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:15 AM

DeJoy was cocky and defiant in front of the House. There was a little acceptance of responsibility for slowing the mail down and no details on his cost cutting. He knows how profitable destruction of the USPS could be for his business and he's full speed ahead.

Hyping a big Postal Service reorganization plan that he still hasn’t unveiled publicly yet, Postmaster General Louis DeJoy appeared before Congress Wednesday with a declaration, rather than details: I’m here to stay.

Pressed by Rep. Jim Cooper (D-TN), DeJoy said Wednesday that he planned on serving “a long time.”

“Get used to me,” DeJoy added, hinting at a months-in-the-works plan that was not released in time for the hearing.

The defiant stance from DeJoy came just days after dozens of House Democrats called on President Joe Biden to fill three existing vacancies on the Postal Service’s Board of Governors, which in turn, they wrote, “will allow the Board to seriously consider whether the current Postmaster General is suitable to continue in his role.”

Biden's picks believe in voting rights. That's good.

President Biden announced three nominees Wednesday to fill vacant seats on the U.S. Postal Board of Governors. His candidates are a former deputy postmaster general, a mail voting advocate and a former postal union lawyer.

Filling those seats would bring Democrats closer to their goal of ousting U.S. Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, a GOP donor installed last year by Trump allies on the board, though Biden would also likely need to replace a current board member to secure the votes to remove DeJoy.

The news of Biden’s picks was first reported by the Washington Post while a contentious hearing was underway, with DeJoy and other postal service figures testifying before the House Oversight Committee.

The selection of DeJoy by Trump’s allies was controversial from the moment he was first named. But criticisms of his USPS approach reached a fever pitch when slapdash operational changes he instituted threatened the postal service’s ability to cope with the pandemic surge in mail voting.

Notably, two of the three nominees Biden has named have expertise in facilitating vote-by-mail.

#117 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 March 2021 - 04:20 PM

DeJoy is clearly intent on slowing the USPS down enough to ensure they aren't competitive with his own business. What a dirtbag.

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy smiled to his web camera Tuesday as he heralded a new era for the United States Postal Service, one marked most prominently by … slower and more expensive mail.

That was hardly all DeJoy and several other Postal Service executives discussed Tuesday in his much-anticipated rollout of a 10-year plan. After all, the Republican megadonor and former logistics executive said, USPS has a lot of legwork to do if it wants to pursue a “self-help growth strategy” and reverse years of losses.

But the changes to pricing and service standards, previewed in media reports in recent weeks, have spooked USPS customers and swelled anger at a Postal Service leader that many see as a vestige of the Trump years.

DeJoy, for his part, tried to calm fears and put on a brave face Tuesday, stressing “financial sustainability” and “service excellence.”

“For perspective, this is a very positive vision, particularly considering our current position as an organization,” he said during Tuesday’s Zoom press event.

A half-hour later, though, the service’s chief financial officer, Joseph Corbett, said the plan couldn’t tolerate any meddlesome substantial delays or setbacks.

“If we encounter roadblocks with any of the major elements, we quickly get into negative territory and may face annual losses for the coming decade,” Corbett said.

Despite the months of hype over the proposal, details are still relatively limited: “Delivering for America,” as the plan is branded, takes up all of 58 pages. And on Tuesday’s call, DeJoy wouldn’t say which products would see price hikes, nor how much those hikes would be.

When we're being told we have to move now, now, now but we aren't allowed to know the details you know it's corrupt to its very core.

#118 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6017 posts
  • LocationAn Anarchist Jurisdiction

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:09 PM

Mandate that all ballots have to be delivered by mail and then privatize the Post Office. The R's will never win another election, as nobody wants to take on rural mail delivery.
"strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations, unpled in the operative complaint and unsupported by evidence"

#119 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5529 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:35 PM

baw1064, on 23 March 2021 - 09:09 PM, said:

Mandate that all ballots have to be delivered by mail and then privatize the Post Office. The R's will never win another election, as nobody wants to take on rural mail delivery.
CORRECT !!! UPS and FedEx want to privatize deliveries but they want the businesses and apartments. Do you think UPS wants to bid on the route to the Havasupai at the bottom of the Grand Canyon ? The boat route on Lake Winnepesauki ?

They’ll leave that for the USPS.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp
Anonymous

If you've got public schools paid for by taxpayers, you're in a socialist nation. If you have public roads paid for by taxpayers, socialist nation. If you've got public defense (police, fire, military, coast guard) paid for by tax dollars, socialist nation. If you're in a nation that has nationalized or localized delivery of services that are not paid for by users alone, you're in a socialist nation- the only question is how socialist. As I see it, we pay the military pay to protect the shipping lanes for our fuel needs which makes us very socialist. In a capitalist nation, the people supplying the oil would pay for their own defense force.
DC Coronata

“I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.”

Margaret Thatcher

(Select anyone who gets blind loyalty from followers/voters) "...is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life."(Manchurian candidate)

"I can't go out because of the virus" sounds whiny and boring. I'm going with: "I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands." because it sounds more valiant and heroic. As a bonus, people might think you're carrying a sword.

FB posting

Its theorized if you put enough monkeys together with typewriters, eventually they'll write Shakespeare. But first, they write Trump speeches.

FB Posting

Calumny is only the noise of madmen. — Diogenes

When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff. Marcus Tullius Cicero

What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.

Donald Trump

"... I will tell you that the future of this country has never been better."
Pres Donald J Trump, Joint Base Andrews 1/20/21

I get it. They had a guy ratf**k the post office. They filled the courts with hacks. They spent a ton of money. They filed so many lawsuits. They even started a riot ! It’s so unfair that they went to all that trouble and still lost. Anonymous

#120 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:44 PM

andydp, on 23 March 2021 - 09:35 PM, said:

CORRECT !!! UPS and FedEx want to privatize deliveries but they want the businesses and apartments. Do you think UPS wants to bid on the route to the Havasupai at the bottom of the Grand Canyon ? The boat route on Lake Winnepesauki ?

They’ll leave that for the USPS.

No they won't. They'll kill USPS and say "To Bad, So Sad" to the Havasupai and Lake Winnepesauki. It those places weren't so stupid or immoral as to be poor or rural they could have service too. Only people who can afford UPS, FedEx, or DHL and similar companies deserve to get letters and packages delivered to them. Public services are for losers and the US government or any governmental agency cannot be allowed to serve losers even if it's better for the country or state or region as a whole. Same for public transit systems, medical insurance, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users