Coronavirus

4704 replies to this topic

#4681 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3244 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 09:32 AM

Can antibody tests determine if the COVID-19 vaccine was effective?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) discourages antibody testing for assessing immunity after getting the vaccine.
A vaccinated person is very likely to get a negative result from a serology test, even if the vaccine was successful and protective. That’s because different serology tests detect antibodies to different parts of the virus.

Some tests detect antibodies to the spike protein of the virus, which are produced in response to viral infection or the vaccine. Others detect antibodies to a different part of the virus called the nucleocapsid protein, which are produced in response to infection, but not by the current vaccines.
MD Anderson’s Blood Bank uses an antibody test designed to detect antibodies to the nucleocapsid protein, which means donors who have received the COVID-19 vaccine will likely receive a negative antibody test result.
“A vaccinated person should not be alarmed or worried if they receive a negative antibody test result because this test does not detect antibodies from the Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 vaccines, which were developed against the spike protein of the virus,”

#4682 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:42 AM

LFC, on 31 March 2021 - 08:59 AM, said:

Bad news for me on the vaccination front. I'm part of a Johns Hopkins study to determine response to the COVID vaccine in imunosuppressed kidney transplant patients. My last blood sample was from the day before my second dose and I showed no response to the first dose. I have another sample to take and send in this week about a month after dose 2. If that one comes up negative I may have to consider getting the J&J vaccine to see if that works since it's a different technology. I'm now also worried about my wife who is also heavily immunosuppressed. F***.

That sucks. I wonder if plasma from recovered COVID patients can be used if J&J doesn't work either.

#4683 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:59 AM

HockeyDon, on 31 March 2021 - 09:31 AM, said:

That sucks. Is the J&J supposed to work better for immunosuppressed people?

No idea though this study might figure it out. I just know that it uses a different mechanism and if it's not going to hurt us then it's worth a shot.

golden_valley, on 31 March 2021 - 10:42 AM, said:

That sucks. I wonder if plasma from recovered COVID patients can be used if J&J doesn't work either.

I have no idea but I doubt that would be an option if they're only talking about 6 month immunity. I'm now questioning my annual flu vaccine. Does it work at all? This is why for many years we've been so cautious about being around people who may be sick. Most of our friends and family get it and look out for us. Some don't (even family) and it frosts me to no end. We've left gatherings before, almost always because somebody brought a sick child along, telling our host that it's just too dangerous.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#4684 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 11:50 AM

LFC, on 31 March 2021 - 10:59 AM, said:

No idea though this study might figure it out. I just know that it uses a different mechanism and if it's not going to hurt us then it's worth a shot.

I have no idea but I doubt that would be an option if they're only talking about 6 month immunity. I'm now questioning my annual flu vaccine. Does it work at all? This is why for many years we've been so cautious about being around people who may be sick. Most of our friends and family get it and look out for us. Some don't (even family) and it frosts me to no end. We've left gatherings before, almost always because somebody brought a sick child along, telling our host that it's just too dangerous.

Herd immunity is supposed to help protect people like you and your wife, but it's clear you can't count on it. The risk is too great for you.

#4685 Traveler

Rambling Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14020 posts
  • LocationPhilly Area

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:19 PM

LFC, on 31 March 2021 - 08:59 AM, said:

Bad news for me on the vaccination front. I'm part of a Johns Hopkins study to determine response to the COVID vaccine in imunosuppressed kidney transplant patients. My last blood sample was from the day before my second dose and I showed no response to the first dose. I have another sample to take and send in this week about a month after dose 2. If that one comes up negative I may have to consider getting the J&J vaccine to see if that works since it's a different technology. I'm now also worried about my wife who is also heavily immunosuppressed. F***.
What was the test for? Antibodies only, or did it include responses of Helper, Killer-T and Memory-B cells?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."-- Winston Churchill
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" Voltaire

#4686 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 March 2021 - 03:37 PM

Traveler, on 31 March 2021 - 12:19 PM, said:

What was the test for? Antibodies only, or did it include responses of Helper, Killer-T and Memory-B cells?

It just says no antibodies. I think the study is mostly about generating a reaction that creates them. I don't know if they tested for anything else.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#4687 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 March 2021 - 04:06 PM

The Trump administration handed out COVID related contracts to unqualified companies without due diligence and utter nutter Peter Navarro was in the middle of it.

A top adviser to former President Donald Trump pressured agency officials to reward politically connected or otherwise untested companies with hundreds of millions of dollars in contracts as part of a chaotic response to the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the early findings of an inquiry led by House Democrats.

Peter Navarro, who served as Trump’s deputy assistant and trade adviser, essentially verbally awarded a $96 million deal for respirators to a company with White House connections. Later, officials at the Federal Emergency Management Agency were pressured to sign the contract after the fact, according to correspondence obtained by congressional investigators.

Documents obtained by the House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis after a year of resistance from the Trump administration offer new details about Navarro’s role in a largely secretive buying spree of personal protective equipment and medical supplies.

But they also show he was among the first Trump officials to sense the urgency of the building crisis, urging the president to push agencies and other officials to “combat the virus swiftly in ‘Trump Time’” and cut through the red tape of the federal purchasing system.

In another communication, Navarro was so adamant that a potential $354 million contract be awarded to an untested pharmaceutical company that he told the top official at the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, or BARDA, “my head is going to explode if this contract does not get immediately approved.”

Navarro did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The committee’s work backs up investigations by ProPublica and other news outlets into the more than $36 billion the federal government has awarded, much of it without traditional bidding and with little scrutiny, to address the COVID-19 pandemic.

At least five of the committee’s lines of inquiry are exploring issues reported by ProPublica, including the $96 million no-bid deal for respirators that was ordered by Navarro, a $34.5 million deal signed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs that fell apart and ended with a contractor pleading guilty to fraud, a contract for masks awarded to a former Trump administration official, and the revelation that FEMA had paid millions to a contractor with a history of fraud allegations for unusable and unsanitary fake test tubes.

#4688 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 06:05 PM

LFC, on 31 March 2021 - 04:06 PM, said:

The Trump administration handed out COVID related contracts to unqualified companies without due diligence and utter nutter Peter Navarro was in the middle of it.

How much money did he get for all this...a finder's fee?

#4689 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:12 PM

golden_valley, on 31 March 2021 - 06:05 PM, said:

Please, we call them "donations."

#4690 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3244 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:27 PM

golden_valley, on 31 March 2021 - 06:05 PM, said:

$0. Being Trump's ass licker the rest of his life is all the compensation he desired. In any case, Trump wouldn't brook someone else, especially someone not from his immediately family, making money off a scheme which could otherwise accrue to him. No way!

#4691 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 April 2021 - 09:06 AM

Day after day I have another reason to be happy that Biden is our President.

The Biden administration on Thursday morning announced a new ad campaign aimed at encouraging Americans to get vaccinated against coronavirus that includes participation from hundreds of organizations and “local voices people know and trust” to help boost confidence around vaccination.

The push comes amid ongoing skepticism about the vaccine particularly among Republicans, Black and Latino people, and White evangelicals. Administration officials have warned that supply could eventually outpace demand if wide swaths of Americans remain opposed to vaccination.

NASCAR, the Catholic Health Association of the United States and the North American Meat Institute are just a few of the 275 organizations coming together as part of a “Community Corps” that will target communities where hesitancy about getting a COVID-19 shot remains high. Among the group are a number of religious organizations, including Catholic and evangelical groups that are expected to help address religious concerns about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which uses abortion-derived fetal cell lines.

“The Community Corps will be comprised of trusted voices in communities across the country,” the Health and Human Services Department said in a news release announcing the campaign.

Vice President Kamala Harris and Surgeon General Vivek Murthy are expected to meet with founding members of the corps on Thursday.

The campaign, with ads in English and Spanish, will air throughout April on network TV and cable channels nationwide, as well as online.

#4692 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9871 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 09:45 AM

Sarah Palin, who recently said she got it, is encouraging people to get vaccines and wear masks. Now I don't know what to do.

#4693 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:46 AM

indy, on 01 April 2021 - 09:45 AM, said:

Sarah Palin, who recently said she got it, is encouraging people to get vaccines and wear masks. Now I don't know what to do.

You know the reason she's uncharacteristically talking sense.

Posted Image

#4694 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

indy, on 01 April 2021 - 09:45 AM, said:

Whatever works to get that crowd to move from doubt to belief when it comes to mitigating/eliminating COVID (stopped clock and all that)
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#4695 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:13 PM

Probabilistic, on 31 March 2021 - 10:27 PM, said:

$0. Being Trump's ass licker the rest of his life is all the compensation he desired. In any case, Trump wouldn't brook someone else, especially someone not from his immediately family, making money off a scheme which could otherwise accrue to him. No way!

Who's to say Navarro didn't cut him in? Anything is possible with that crew.

#4696 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3244 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 04:15 PM

Posted Image

Coming Soon to a Home Near You!

#4697 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:06 PM

View PostProbabilistic, on 02 April 2021 - 04:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

Coming Soon to a Home Near You!

I learned from someone who has worked from home for years...wear jeans, not sweats!

I picked up a couple of pounds because I slowed down on in home exercising due to the smoke during Aug/Sept. Never really picked it back up, but the jeans still zip up!

#4698 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:02 PM

Posted Image
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#4699 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4083 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:19 AM

Ironically, everything they do surrounding their mantra of "I'm not gonna live in fear" points out just how fearful they are on a daily basis.

Also, everything they do surrounding their mantra of "I'm not gonna give up my freedoms" points out just how weak their idea of freedom really is. If their freedom is lost by the simple action of wearing a mask, the amount of freedom they imagine having is near zero anyway. It's a fallacy, of course. Those most often clamoring about losing freedom over something like masks are also most often those in this country benefiting from the most freedoms of any other group.
And there was much rejoicing. Yay.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

#4700 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3244 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:28 AM

HockeyDon, on 08 April 2021 - 07:19 AM, said:

"I'm not gonna live in fear... of which Fox News, OANN, 4k, 8k and the rest haven't told me to be afraid of."

There. That's the complete quote.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users