62 replies to this topic

#41 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32137 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:10 AM

The CDC quarantine center in San Diego is being run with typical Trumpian efficiency.

Evacuees from the epicenter of the new, deadly coronavirus under quarantine at a Marine Corps base in San Diego veered toward revolt on Wednesday after U.S. officials admitted to mistakenly releasing an infected patient back into the group.

Dozens of temporary residents at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar have signed a petition demanding better oversight at the facility, where about 230 people were being held after evacuating last week from China. The fears expressed in the petition, a copy of which was obtained by The Daily Beast, echoed concerns raised by experts in recent days about whether individuals without symptoms can transmit the disease.

Jacob Wilson, a 33-year-old American evacuee from Louisiana who works at a tech start-up in Wuhan—the Chinese epicenter of the virus—told The Daily Beast he signed the petition in order to correct what he called “damn near criminal” and “irresponsible” actions by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) officials responsible for the base’s quarantine protocols.

The petition asks that “everyone in the facility be tested;” that the evacuees be given masks and disinfectants; that hand sanitizers be available in public areas, including a playground; that they not be forced to gather in large groups; that town hall meetings be conducted via conference call; and that public areas be regularly disinfected throughout the day.

The document—written in both English and Chinese, and first reported by local ABC affiliate KGTV-TV—was to be presented to CDC officials Wednesday evening, according to Wilson.

“The CDC’s current working assumption is the virus won’t spread until symptoms develop,” the petition says. “However, we strongly disagree with using that assumption as the basis against broader testing.”

The CDC did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Daily Beast on Wednesday.

“Everyone who reads about these intensive CDC screenings doesn’t realize that we aren’t even being tested,” said Wilson. “The screenings are a huge joke: temperature check and are you symptomatic. That’s it.”

Wilson told The Daily Beast he was in the second group of flights chartered by the State Department out of Hubei province in China, where more than 1,100 people have died from the disease. Wilson’s flight carried 167 evacuees and arrived in San Diego on Feb. 5. A second flight carrying 65 evacuees arrived the next day. (A previous batch of 195 U.S. evacuees, who stayed at another base in California, were released earlier this week after arriving in January.)

Evacuees on various bases in the U.S. have been ordered to serve 14-day quarantines starting the day each person leaves China, in keeping with what international health officials currently believe to be the high end of the novel coronavirus incubation period. Though people on both of the flights that arrived in San Diego last week were split in two groups upon arrival, Wilson said they all gathered together for meals, meetings, and temperature checks.

“The first three days that we were here, we had no luggage and had no change of clothes and weren’t able to do laundry,” he said. “We’re required to go out three to four times a day from our rooms to get fed and have our temperature taken.”

“We’re trying our best to disinfect things with the hand soap that we’ve been given, even though we don’t have disinfectant,” Wilson added. “We’re frustrated and worried.”

Many evacuees feel that the instructions from the CDC have been confusing and even contradictory, he continued. “They have told us to stand six feet away from each other, and then have us stand shoulder-to-shoulder when they take our temperature,” which Wilson claimed “flies in the face of the protections and precautions.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#42 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10505 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:32 AM

How many EC votes is that -- it is, after all California.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#43 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8167 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:07 AM

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:08 AM

Posted Imageandydp, on 12 February 2020 - 09:37 AM, said:

I read the article. The is SOME and I repeat SOME truth to the warmer weather statement. BUT... there's plenty of variables that make it just a little bit more complex than that.

Can you elaborate? Singapore is as warm as they come, and has stringent border controls and the most effective health care system around. Yet the super spreader came from there, and they have a bunch of cases all over the country.

I've seen mention of the possibility that this virus might follow the path of some other viral diseases such as seasonal flu that abate as summer and warmer weather arrives. Hence 'seasonal'. And I've also seen mentioned that this virus is already in warmer places, and does not seem to be lessening. And not all virus diseases lessen with increasing temperature.

In the case of this virus I think it's just a hope/guess that it will lessen as it gets warmer, but it's a new virus in humans, so bottom line, no one can really know how it reacts until the seasons roll over.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#44 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32137 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:09 PM

A study indicates that the virus might be able to survive on surfaces for up to 9 days. I have no idea how that compares to things like influenze, seasonal flu, or even measles. BactPhd?

After weeks of speculation, scientists have some sense of how long the novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV, now officially called SARS-CoV-2, might survive on surfaces and inanimate objects waiting to infect an unsuspecting host.

A new review suggests that SARS-CoV-2 – not to be confused with the newly-named COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus – could survive on surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days. Promisingly, the research also suggests that disinfecting agents such as ethanol (alcohol), hydrogen peroxide (bleach), and sodium hypochlorite (another bleaching agent) are generally very effective against coronaviruses.

Reporting in the Journal of Hospital Infection, virologists from Ruhr-Universität Bochum in Germany reached these conclusions by evaluating 22 previous studies on other members of the coronavirus family, which includes SARS and MERS. The team actually intended to publish this analysis in an upcoming textbook, but the recently novel coronavirus outbreak provoked them to release their work as a study.

While no new original research was carried out specifically on SARS-CoV-2, the researchers argue their findings can be applied to the current coronavirus outbreak, as the results across all coronaviruses were comparable.

"Different coronaviruses were analyzed, and the results were all similar," Eike Steinmann, study author from Leibniz University Hanover, explained in a statement.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#45 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:21 PM

Some last longer than others, assuming that they're in a moderately humid environment away from actinic light (like sunshine.) IIRC some of the real champs are close to a week but nine days is impressive. Not much data, perhaps?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#46 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8167 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:57 PM

https://www.hawaiine...ve-coronavirus/

February 14, 2020 at 12:15 PM HST - Updated February 14 at 5:46 PM

HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - A visitor who exhibited “cold-like symptoms” while in the islands earlier this month was diagnosed with coronavirus after returning to Japan, officials confirmed.

In a news conference Friday, state health officials said:

• The adult male traveler did not have any symptoms while visiting Maui from Jan. 28 to Feb. 3.
  • But he did begin to exhibit “cold-like symptoms” while on Oahu from Feb. 3 to Feb. 7.
  • On Oahu, he stayed at the Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations. The state is still seeking more details on his exact itinerary, including which flights he was on.
  • He was diagnosed with the virus on Feb. 8, after returning to Japan. Japanese news reports say that he had a fever of about 102 degrees.

The governor and state Health Department sought to reassure the public about the risk of transmission and stressed that the state’s health care facilities are equipped to handle additional cases if they arise.

“We do believe this is a serious concern,” said Governor David Ige. "As we get more information about his specific itinerary or places that he visited, then we will examine that and identify any of those workers who might have been exposed.”

State Health Director Bruce Anderson said it’s likely the visitor was exposed before he left for Hawaii or while on his way here.

“The Department of Health is sending out a medical advisory to all the health care providers in the state to be on alert for possible cases,” said Anderson.

They also said Hawaii residents can take precautions now to reduce their chances of contracting the coronavirus ― and the seasonal flu.

#47 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8167 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:59 AM

It keeps chugging along. Any news prior to a day or two old is already out-dated.
I've read that a good estimate of time between non-traceable cases popping up in a community to a broader outbreak is 2 weeks to a month. So watch Japan and Thailand. And of course Hong Kong. Keep in mind that in addition to those cases that come in for being sick, there will be many more people in a community with only mild or even asymtomatic cases walking around.

https://afludiary.blogspot.com/

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Media: MOH Warns Japan Entering `New Phase' Of COVID-19 Spread

Local and international media are reporting on comments delivered by Japan's Health Minister Katsunobu Kato - following a meeting with a panel of experts today - where he warned that recent community acquired coronavirus cases suggest that Japan is "entering a new phase" in the outbreak.[indent]"We want to ask the public to avoid non-urgent, non-essential gatherings. We want elderly and those with pre-existing conditions to avoid crowded places." - Katsunobu Kato[/indent]
Although I don't find anything posted yet on Japan's Health Minister's page, some links to this story include:[indent]
Japan Health Minister Urges Public to Avoid Non-essential Gatherings, Stay away from Crowds & Trains

Avoid crowds to prevent spread of COVID-19, Japan health minister warns[/indent]

#48 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1986 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:35 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 14 February 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

Some last longer than others, assuming that they're in a moderately humid environment away from actinic light (like sunshine.) IIRC some of the real champs are close to a week but nine days is impressive. Not much data, perhaps?

LFC, DC beat me to the punch. Some, such as herpesviruses, don't last terribly long on ordinary surfaces. However, common cold (rhino-) viruses, e.g., are pretty hardy buggers. Although I'm not surprised that coronaviruses are on the hardy side, I'll concur that the nine days would be something of a feat. At least routine disinfectants seem to do the job.

Buy CLX!
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#49 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:55 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 16 February 2020 - 04:35 PM, said:

Some, such as herpesviruses, don't last terribly long on ordinary surfaces. However, common cold (rhino-) viruses, e.g., are pretty hardy buggers.

$HERSELF informs me that Hepatitis B can last on surfaces for a couple of weeks. I won't argue, but then I'm a big fan of sunshine and other harsh conditions for that cleaning.
— Nate Silver

#50 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5167 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:27 PM

God will protect us from the coronavirus*, because Trump is such a fine righteous leader.

https://www.newsweek...fe-womb-1487583

*except for the Blue States
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#51 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1986 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:01 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 16 February 2020 - 08:27 PM, said:

God will protect us from the coronavirus*, because Trump is such a fine righteous leader.

https://www.newsweek...fe-womb-1487583

*except for the Blue States

Blergh. That nonsense again. This is the same EvangeLogic that had God's Holy WrathTM behind Hurricane Katrina and its associated death and destruction...remind me again who was residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

I appreciated this from the comment board:

Its comical that you're trying to portray god in thee and thou-speak... "why do you fear, United States"? You say god is going to spare us because we "elected" an anti-abortion president? Trump, who tried to force every woman he got pregnant (gross) to get abortions. Portrying god only as vengeful and apparently super selective is not based on religion, it's based on greed. A fearful congregation is a controllable congregation. ... "This virus is the spirit of god" is utter nonsense. 12,000+ people died in the US last year of influenza, while trump was president. Why didn't god protect them? Evangelicals use current events such as the Corona virus outbreak to "prove" god's wrath is not to be doubted. They like Trump because he is their partner in crime now.

Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#52 George Rowell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • LocationIn Perth now

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:40 PM

The Chinese are now giving plasma transfusions to dangerously ill corona victims that has been taken from recovered patients. That raises a host of ethical issues about the possible sale of plasma, plasma farming, plasma banking and so on but how effective is this in viral illnesses anyway?
A doctor knows a little about a lot. A specialist knows a lot about a little. In time the doctor knows less and less about more and more and the specialist knows more and more about less and less until ultimately the doctor knows nothing about everything and the specialist knows everything about nothing.

#53 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32137 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:28 AM

Things are still horrible in Wuhan. The government is trying to clamp down harder on infected people.

One of Wuhan’s top doctors has been killed by the novel coronavirus as authorities in the city reportedly began rounding up every single infected resident. Liu Zhiming was the director of Wuhan Wuchang Hospital and he was reported by state media to have succumbed to his illness on Tuesday morning. It was also reported locally that Xu Depu, the former director of the Ezhou city hospital in Hubei province, died from the the virus last week. The announcements follow the death of whistleblower Li Wenliang, whose efforts to warn other doctors about the coronavirus were suppressed. Meanwhile, authorities have begun house-to-house checks in Wuhan that aim to seek out and “round up” all infected patients, according to local reports cited by The Guardian. Anyone suspected of having the virus will face compulsory tests and anyone who had close contact with the infected will be quarantined in 10 newly built temporary quarantine centers. Additionally, anyone who buys cough medicine will reportedly need to use their ID card so they can be checked out by authorities.

#54 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6299 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:30 PM

Modern people in the US have no memory of how disease can endanger whole cities or countries. I suspect we've been in a nice lull that will not last much longer.

#55 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4008 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:44 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 18 February 2020 - 12:30 PM, said:

Modern people in the US have no memory of how disease can endanger whole cities or countries. I suspect we've been in a nice lull that will not last much longer.

I remember the big Influenza outbreak in 1956-57. I was in Italy at the time and there were a lot of funerals every day.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

If you've got public schools paid for by taxpayers, you're in a socialist nation. If you have public roads paid for by taxpayers, socialist nation. If you've got public defense (police, fire, military, coast guard) paid for by tax dollars, socialist nation. If you're in a nation that has nationalized or localized delivery of services that are not paid for by users alone, you're in a socialist nation- the only question is how socialist. As I see it, we pay the military pay to protect the shipping lanes for our fuel needs which makes us very socialist. In a capitalist nation, the people supplying the oil would pay for their own defense force.

DC Coronata

“I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.” Margaret Thatcher

#56 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8167 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:55 PM

I've used hand sanitizer for years and decided to get some fresh stuff to keep in the car, so stopped at one of those nondescript large drug stores.. and found the area of the hand sanitizers was totally cleaned out. This is not a metropolis.

In Hong Kong someone recently stole 600 rolls of toilet paper at knife point. According to one humorous report, toilet paper is now a desired hostess gift.

Here is a Tweet thread on the virus:

https://twitter.com/...952544811569153

#57 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1986 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:16 AM

George Rowell, on 17 February 2020 - 10:40 PM, said:

The Chinese are now giving plasma transfusions to dangerously ill corona victims that has been taken from recovered patients. That raises a host of ethical issues about the possible sale of plasma, plasma farming, plasma banking and so on but how effective is this in viral illnesses anyway?

It’s called “passive immunity”. Plasma from recovered victims presumably contains antibodies the recovered patients produced during the course of infection as a response to the virus. IIRC it’s still used as a measure when a human has been bitten by a rabid animal; however, the actual antibodies (aka “gamma-globulins”) are purified from the plasma first.

ETA: All that said, that strikes me as a desperate measure if they’re employing straight unpurified plasma in the critically ill, as there are certain risks associated with straight blood products.

#58 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1986 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:23 AM

golden_valley, on 18 February 2020 - 12:30 PM, said:

Yup, between antibiotics and vaccines, we’ve had one hell of a run heath-wise since the mid-1960s.

#59 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:32 AM

View PostBact PhD, on 19 February 2020 - 10:23 AM, said:

Yup, between antibiotics and vaccines, we’ve had one hell of a run heath-wise since the mid-1960s.

However, unlike antibiotics the vaccines are showing no signs of becoming useless.
— Nate Silver

#60 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32137 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:33 AM

View PostBact PhD, on 19 February 2020 - 10:23 AM, said:

Yup, between antibiotics and vaccines...

Fake news.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users