TRS Transition: Options and Trials (Nee Potential Transition, Part Deux...)

85 replies to this topic

#81 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2868 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:52 PM

LFC, on 14 December 2020 - 12:06 PM, said:

No at all. I have little to offer in pushing any of this forward other than trying to be an early adopter / beta tester to shake any choice out.
That’s valuable in and of itself, especially since you speak the language far better than I do. The only language I’m good for is swearing at real and perceived malfunctions.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#82 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2868 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:21 AM

Bact PhD, on 13 December 2020 - 03:28 PM, said:

Since the 2-week "ad-free" trial will expire Christmas Eve, during which time I will be incommunicado, I am inclined to advance the first month or 2 of an ad-free subscription to give us a bit more time to investigate and migrate. I figure we can make a more firm decision after New Year's about a permanent migration and the financing. There's a price break if it's a full-year subscription as opposed to month-to-month.

AnBr, on 13 December 2020 - 06:08 PM, said:

I hate the fact that we cannot import this database. I don't really want to deal with getting a new site and having to deal with renewals, etc, but I might be willing to setup a phpBB board if someone provides the space. It does look like it is possible to import from IP.Board 3.2.3 to phpBB3.x. It might involve installing an earlier version of phpBB, importing this database and then upgrading, but no guarantees that there would be no snags. All of which I would consider doing. I don't have the time to mess around with custom styles beyond ready made ones or a couple of CSS edits.

I did find a link to reviews of several providers https://www.websitet...ap-web-hosting/ if someone want to look into it. Most of the plans would offer plenty of space for uploading images. All I would need is Charles' database and FTP/cPanel access.

Bact PhD, on 13 December 2020 - 07:33 PM, said:

FWIW, I did take a look at the article you linked to. Unless there’s something I’m missing, given the relatively small size of the operation we should be able to function with a low-tier plan from DreamHost or A2.

If you’re able and willing to undertake that, and the current material transfers over, that would be a huge plus. I don’t see where financing at a sub-$15/month level would pose a problem. Depending upon the time required, the ProBoards site can serve as a “short-term rental” while the “new house” gets built.

AnBr, on 13 December 2020 - 07:43 PM, said:

If Charles were to make the database available to me I could experiment with importing it into phpBB on my own web space before we commited to host. If successful, it would then be a simple matter of exporting the converted database to a fresh install on our new home.

I'm going "month-to-month" on the ProBoards Ad-Free service, renewing on the first of the month. I'm willing to cover through January, by which point we should know whether AnBr's database migration attempt is successful.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#83 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7645 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 18 December 2020 - 02:21 PM

Thank you BactPhD. Happy Holidays!

#84 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2868 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:09 PM

AnBr, on 13 December 2020 - 07:43 PM, said:

If Charles were to make the database available to me I could experiment with importing it into phpBB on my own web space before we commited to host. If successful, it would then be a simple matter of exporting the converted database to a fresh install on our new home.

Bact PhD, on 13 December 2020 - 07:47 PM, said:

At this stage, I don’t see what you have to lose if you ask him.

Any luck making contact with Charles? If so, what's the status?

#85 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15817 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 06:41 PM

I haven't had time to do much of anything.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#86 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2868 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:24 PM

AnBr, on 04 January 2021 - 06:41 PM, said:

I haven't had time to do much of anything.
I hear ya.
Thanks for the report.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users