04/15/2021: Turned In the Keys, Thank You, Charles!

143 replies to this topic

#121 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:47 PM

A PM might not reach a person unless they come here. Without checking I am not sure if there is a notify by email option on this board or not. The best option would be to leave this one open for the time being. If there are notification threads in each forum I think most could find their way. But then, why not do both?
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#122 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:04 AM

AnBr, on 08 April 2021 - 06:47 PM, said:

A PM might not reach a person unless they come here. Without checking I am not sure if there is a notify by email option on this board or not. The best option would be to leave this one open for the time being. If there are notification threads in each forum I think most could find their way. But then, why not do both?

Hmmm. When I have gotten PMs, I receive an e-mail notification from TRS "[username] started a new personal conversation with you" with the body of the e-mail continuing, "BactPhD, [username] has sent you a personal conversation entitled [Title of Message]", followed by most, of not all, of the body of the message (depending on length, maybe?). I don't necessarily need to log in to TRS to read it. Maybe receiving e-mail notifications of PMs depends on some setting--?

Certainly, doing both should cover the bases.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#123 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:06 PM

I have not gotten emails about PMs. Then there is also the possibility that emails might get caught up in spam filters, especially with "suck" in the URL.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#124 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:49 PM

AnBr, on 10 April 2021 - 06:06 PM, said:

Then there is also the possibility that emails might get caught up in spam filters, especially with "suck" in the URL.
That could be.

I've sifted through the "Members" list and come up with about a couple dozen quasi-regulars/people who have drifted away only fairly recently. They may (or not) appreciate a pro forma heads up re the upcoming move, especially since this particular thread may not get a whole lot of traffic.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#125 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:22 PM

Progressive Whisperer is one that I would like to see post again, but I suppose he is gone for good. Maybe Rab?

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#126 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:04 PM

AnBr, on 10 April 2021 - 09:22 PM, said:

Progressive Whisperer is one that I would like to see post again, but I suppose he is gone for good. Maybe Rab?
Both are among the couple dozen, as are MSheridan, and Banty, and...
(I kept the criteria pretty wide for inclusion)

#127 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:48 PM

Absolutely MSheridan and Banty. We also have at least a couple lurkers that post every once in a while It would be nice to take them with us.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#128 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:32 PM

AnBr, on 10 April 2021 - 10:48 PM, said:

Absolutely MSheridan and Banty. We also have at least a couple lurkers that post every once in a while It would be nice to take them with us.
With very few noteworthy exceptions, I've pulled users that (a) had any semblance of a post history and (B) a "last active" date of 2018 or later. That should snag most lurkers.

#129 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:41 PM

I guess I know at least a couple of those exceptions.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#130 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:30 PM

I've reached out to DC Sessions. He sent me this reply:

I'm in that lovely stage where it's hard to tell whether a symptom is from the drugs or the disease. Presumably the next couple of months will tell whether the drugs are working.

Meantime, my hours-of-concentration per day don't leave much room for changing online residences, so do please give my regards to the gang and I'll join you when I can.

Sounds like a plan.
I've gotten some positive responses from the first batch of PMs as well.

#131 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9625 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:14 PM

I hadn't realized trs has been around for almost 10 years, though the 4 years of Trump did pass like dog years.

After Charles opened it, I was the first member to sign up.
Member Since 25 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

PG's words have passed the test of time: What is wrong with these people?
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

We go low so you don't have to. ~ LP

Person.. woman.. man.. election... vote. ~ Twitter

#132 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16173 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:54 PM

Rue Bella, on 11 April 2021 - 10:14 PM, said:

I hadn't realized trs has been around for almost 10 years, though the 4 years of Trump did pass like dog years.

That's because tRump is a dog.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#133 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5539 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:04 AM

AnBr, on 11 April 2021 - 10:54 PM, said:

That's because tRump is a dog.

Man's best friend? Certainly not woman's.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation. Unknown.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough. Rudyard Kipling

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office. Unknown.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking. Rudyard Kipling

People don’t believe in ideas: they believe in people who believe in ideas. Ze’ev Mankowitz

#134 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:55 AM

AnBr, on 08 April 2021 - 06:47 PM, said:

A PM might not reach a person unless they come here...The best option would be to leave this one open for the time being. If there are notification threads in each forum I think most could find their way. But then, why not do both?

I've had some affirmative replies to the PMs (more than I expected) and a couple of more registrations (I haven't checked yet this AM).

Concerning notification threads in the forums, I guess keep the thread title short and sweet..."This forum has MOVED to talkradiosucks.proboards.com"...?

Being as the most active threads in the "Community" forum ("Random Musings," "Tales of a Middle-Aged Housewife," and "Cat Thread") appear to have migrated already, maybe that forum could get the treatment today or tomorrow?

#135 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6017 posts
  • LocationAn Anarchist Jurisdiction

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:20 PM

Bact PhD, on 13 April 2021 - 07:55 AM, said:

Being as the most active threads in the "Community" forum ("Random Musings," "Tales of a Middle-Aged Housewife," and "Cat Thread") appear to have migrated already, maybe that forum could get the treatment today or tomorrow?

So it's possible to herd cats over to a new website?
"strained legal arguments without merit and speculative accusations, unpled in the operative complaint and unsupported by evidence"

#136 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:41 AM

baw1064, on 13 April 2021 - 06:20 PM, said:

So it's possible to herd cats over to a new website?
At the very least, it's a valiant attempt! :)

#137 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:46 AM

Winding down at this site...

It looks like most of the recent topics with the highest traffic have migrated over to the new site. If I may mix my metaphors, we're rapidly approaching Last Call here.

#138 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9625 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:38 AM

we're rapidly approaching Last Call here.

Kinda sad...
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

We go low so you don't have to. ~ LP

Person.. woman.. man.. election... vote. ~ Twitter

#139 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8110 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:46 PM

Rue Bella, on 14 April 2021 - 11:38 AM, said:

Kinda sad...

Yeah it is.

My thanks go to Charles for creating TRS and giving us a chance to ruminate over events with thoughtful, spirited people. My thanks go to BactPhD for finding us a new home. I'll see everyone at the other place!

#140 Bact PhD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 04:27 PM

golden_valley, on 14 April 2021 - 01:46 PM, said:

Yeah it is.

My thanks go to Charles for creating TRS and giving us a chance to ruminate over events with thoughtful, spirited people.

Agreed. Many, many thanks to Charles for the creation, care, and feeding of this site, especially these last 4-ish years. It's tough to maintain something like this when one has lost interest.

My thanks go to BactPhD for finding us a new home.
(blushes)
I only get partial credit; RueBella provided the original suggestion. I wouldn't have even known where to look for something like this.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users