67 replies to this topic

#1 cmk

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts
  • LocationBennington, VT, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

Santorum leading in both MO and MN on early results. Big lead in MN -- bit it's still very early.
Charles M. Kozierok - Administrator, TalkRadioSucks.com

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -- Bill Maher

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#2 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

With 3% of the results in from Minnesota, Santorum is in first with 48%, Ron Paul is in second with 23%, then Romney at 16% and Gingrich at 13%.

Jesus! (Pun intended.)

With so few precincts in, though, this could be skewed geographically. But still.. wow.

I wonder how much of a sympathy vote Santorum is getting due to his daughter's illness? It has to be a factor. But really.. as much as I loathe his Christianist positions.. he's actually been the closest thing to a mensch that the right has put up in this election (Paul doesn't count).

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." -- Herbert Spencer

"Our new Government['s] foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition." -- Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy

#3 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

15% in from MO and Santorum is up by a whopping 25 points over Romney. Remember that Gingrich isn't on the ballot here.

I think tonight marks the end of the reign of Gingrich II as King of the not-Romneys and the rise of Santorum II.

#4 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8170 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

View Postcmk, on 07 February 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Santorum leading in both MO and MN on early results. Big lead in MN -- bit it's still very early.

Take a peek at the Talk Radio/Media section for John King's quote of the night regarding this possibility. Should have posted here, but didn't notice the thread going.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#5 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

S'ok.

You know everyone speculated as to what would happen to Gingrich's vote if Santorum dropped out. Tonight in Missouri we're seeing the opposite. Based on tonight's results, if they hold, Santorum could make a strong argument that Gingrich should quit.

Watching Romney try to go after Santorum will be... interesting. He's not nearly as easy a target as Gingrich.

#6 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

With over 23% in now in MO, Santorum is up 55-28 over Romney. Wow!

#7 nuser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

@cmk
You are considered a bright one around here , however thinking Santorum is a mensch, oy vey.
I suspect , you are the mensch (somewhat) and is always looking for the good points in people
and that is nice , but please!

#8 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8104 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Watching Romney try to go after Santorum will be... interesting. He's not nearly as easy a target as Gingrich.

The Christian base might not like it if Romney goes too negative against Santorum. Gingrich has obvious flaws, Santorum is one of their own.
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#9 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 07 February 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

The Christian base might not like it if Romney goes too negative against Santorum. Gingrich has obvious flaws, Santorum is one of their own.

Exactly. But what else does Romney have? For all his claims that Obama can't run on his record, what record does Romney have? 100,000 phony jobs at Staples? Good luck with that.

Apparently the big cities haven't reported in yet in MO, but CNN still just called it for Santorum.

And Romney is still solidly in third place in Minnesota. Still early there, though.

#10 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8104 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Do you suppose Frum is going to mention any of this? :lol:

#11 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 07 February 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

Do you suppose Frum is going to mention any of this? :lol:

Heh.

I'm watching the live chat over at RedState ... you can practically hear the chomping on fingernails and gnashing of teeth at the prospect of Santorum being the nominee. I think many of the people there like his positions, but consider him even more unelectable than Gingrich.

This is classic:

Romney v. Santorum is like asking me which testicle I want to lose...its that bad!

#12 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9370 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

The midwest doesn't want anything to do with Romney. How many swing states are in the midwest again?

#13 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8104 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Romney v. Santorum is like asking me which testicle I want to lose...its that bad!

Was that a female commenter? :P

#14 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

With about 15% in, Romney is still in third place in MN -- and not even close to Paul.

This is really amazing.

#15 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

Holy cow.. with 7% in, Santorum is even winning big in Colorado! That cannot possibly hold. If Romney loses CO, he is up shit's creek.

#16 cmk

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7540 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

With over half the results in MO now reported, Santorum is up over Romney by more than 30 points.

#17 Rabiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3723 posts
  • LocationCulver City, CA

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

Santorum as the nominee would be a weird race. I couldn't see him winning with his religious hate speech rhetoric but his economic populism may do well in the Midwest.
Government in particular has an obligation to dismiss any employee who claims a right to discriminate against citizens. - Garret Epps

#18 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8104 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

#19 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8104 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Still early in Colorado, but Mitt and Rick currently are tied according to CNN.

#20 Baron Siegfried

A renaissance man in a post modern world

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationSW Fla

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Ummmm . . . as absolutely tickeld as I am by tonights results, I feel compelled to point out that these are caucuses - not binding. There are no delegates involved, which makes me wonder just why the hell they even bothered. How much money did these clowns spend in an effort to get bragging rights and no delegates? And the media in general makes me want to scream . . . the Super Bowl is done, testosterone levels should have dropped back to normal, so I really wish the media would dial back the drama a bit
Ye Truthe Schalle Set Ye Free,
Erst Shalt It Pisse Thee Offe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users