#61 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2796 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:27 PM

This piece certainly had me shaking my head

Some "sane conservative" writers get fairly triggered about these examples. Andrew Sullivan has been on that kick the last few years. But Sykes has been pretty non-alarmist. I think his motivation is to keep the crazies on the left from driving away independents and home-less conservatives like himself.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#62 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2444 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:55 PM

Madison really needs to reopen its beer halls. Maybe they could open all the windows and sit there in their parkas and debate the merits of various IPAs.

#63 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:58 AM

Hey, Alabama. How's that Trump spunk that you're wiping off your lips taste?

The Alabama Republican Party on Saturday is expected to present former President Donald Trump with a framed copy of a resolution that was passed state party leaders, proclaiming him “one of the greatest and most effective” presidents in American history.

The resolution passed by the state Republican Party’s executive committee, calls Trump “one of the greatest and most effective presidents in the 245-year history of this Republic” with an apparent list of his achievements while in office, according to a copy of the resolution obtained by Fox News.

Perry Hooper Jr., a former state representative and a member of the state party’s executive committee, is expected to gift a framed copy of the resolution to Trump during a Saturday evening reception at Trump’s Palm Beach resort, Fox News said.

‘The resolution, basically, it just talks about the greatness of Donald J. Trump, how he made America great again and I hope other states will follow suit,” Hooper told the conservative news network in an interview.

“It’s just recognizing him for all the great things he has done for America for bringing back American manufacturing, cutting taxes, creating best economy ever, building up our military,” he added.

Among Trump’s achievements, the revisionist history-style resolution which was unanimously passed on Feb. 27 at the state GOP executive committee’s winter meeting in Montgomery, attributes strides in coronavirus vaccine rollouts to Trump calling his handling of COVID-19 shot distribution “one of the most important feats in medical history.”

The resolution also makes the claim that Trump “accomplished more in 48 months than Joe Biden did in 48 years as a senator and vice-president.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#64 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3026 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 14 March 2021 - 02:20 PM

LFC, on 14 March 2021 - 11:58 AM, said:

Hey, Alabama. How's that Trump spunk that you're wiping off your lips taste?
Ummm...I’m a little bit puzzled about this placement...

That said, I struggled to hold my lunch down after reading that.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#65 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39962 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:07 AM

This is ridiculous. I've generally been a Tammy Duckworth fan and maybe there's some merit to her request but this was NOT the way to go about it. This was all about making a big splash. The Biden administration has defused the bomb, for now, but this was unnecessary.

Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) on Wednesday vowed to oppose President Biden’s future “non-diversity” nominees unless the White House commits to a plan to tap more nominees of Asian or Pacific Islander descent for high-level positions in the administration, according to multiple reports.

Duckworth, who is the first Thai American woman in Congress, told reporters on Tuesday that she believes the White House is “still not aggressive” when it comes to AAPI representation in the administration.

In light of the lack of representation of AAPI in Biden’ Cabinet, Duckworth vowed to only support the President’s “diversity nominees.”

“I am not going to be voting for any nominees from the White House other than diversity nominees,” Duckworth said according to HuffPost. “I’ll be a ‘No’ on everyone until they figure this out.”

Duckworth added that her stance includes her promise to vote in favor of racial minorities and LGBTQ individuals.

BTW Vanita Gupta is Asian.I guess she's just not the right kind of Asian. Neither is half Indian Kamala Harris. So was Neera Tanden but Tammy can go have a chat with Manchin on that one. Then there's Katherine Tai, U.S. Trade Rep. Julie Su was nominated for Deputy Sec of Labor (pending). I looked it up and just 4% of the U.S. population is Asian. WTF does she want?

You can scroll through the pics on here and see it is filled with women and people of color. Is there an exact percentage match to U.S. population? I have no idea but I'd be willing to bet that it's one of the most diverse perhaps outside of Obama's. But for some people a lot is just never enough. And this is how the left-wing of the Democratic Party end up losing people like me.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users