14 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:37 AM

Looks like it's time to fire the false equivalence tracker back up. Here's Josh Marshall's take on WaPo's big breaking story of Joe Biden mixing up and combining details from what appear to be 3 true stories. In full:

This morning we saw an article from the Post that is typical of what we’ll see really no matter what Democrat gets the presidential nomination. Indeed, we’ll see it again and again. (Read the now-updated story here.) The gist, according to the Post, is that Biden tells a story of military heroism about a young soldier in Afghanistan. But that story never happened. At it’s not even one discrete story. Over the years he’s told it with different details. As the Post explains, the story is actually a pastiche of several different stories, each of which Biden was either directly a part of or heard recounted on one of his trips to Afghanistan or Iraq, or in one case at a Medal of Honor ceremony at the White House.

The core of the story seems to be an encounter between Biden and Army Staff Sgt. Chad Workman. Biden pinned a Bronze Star on Workman on a visit to Afghanistan in 2011 for rushing into a burning vehicle to save a dying friend. By the time Workman got to the friend in the burning vehicle it was too late. “I never pulled him out because he was melting,” Workman told the Post in a recent interview. The hook of the story is that Workman didn’t want the medal. He felt guilty because his friend died. He had failed.

The issue is that, as the Post explains, Biden over time seems to have conflated this with two or three other stories with similar themes of selfless heroism. So part of the story has gotten mixed up with the story of Kyle J. White, who received the Medal of Honor from President Obama in 2014 for a heroic rescue in Afghanistan. And then there are other elements which seem to have come from the story of Spec. Miles Foltz, who Biden met on a trip to Afghanistan in 2008 along with Sens. Kerry and Hagel. Foltz was part of another rescue and had similarly conflicted emotions about the medal he received. Biden was there in Afghanistan when Foltz’s commander, not Biden, pinned a Bronze Star on him. So in different versions the hero is of different ages and rank, even different services. One time Biden told the story he put the incident in Iraq rather than Afghanistan. But the core is the Workman story where the recipient doesn’t want the medal.

Interviewed recently by the Post, Workman remembers the encounter with Biden about as former Vice President relates it: “He has that look where his eyes can see into your eyes,” Workman said. “I felt like he really understood.”

I’ve tried to navigate through all the different stories here as speedily as I can. Because to me, the precise mix of points aren’t really what matter. To get all the details read the Post piece.

On its own it’s a fascinating bit of reporting putting this all together. But the obvious gist of the piece is that Biden, like Trump, has a lying problem, and we have to ask whether he’ll be held to the same standard. The authors note that while Biden claimed in one retelling that he’d been “in and out of Afghanistan and Iraq over 30 times,” his campaign confirmed to the Post that he’d actually only been there 21 times. Zing!

The Post reporters lay out the stakes like this: “One big question facing candidates and voters more than 30 years later is whether President Trump’s routine falsehoods have changed the standards by which other presidential aspirants, including Biden, should be judged.”

But the thing is, over decades Biden has visited all these places dozens of times. He doesn’t seem to have made any of this stuff up. And the stories are not self-aggrandizing. They’re about other people’s bravery and suffering, which, as this article in The New Republic argued earlier this year, is the touchstone of Biden’s whole public career. But to me this isn’t remotely like anything Trump does. And contrary to what some might claim, I really don’t see how this gets in the way of making any case against Trump. Trump is a degenerate malicious liar who does not so much lie as he has a total indifference to the very concept of truth and makes things up routinely to get his own way and degrade his enemies.

What interested me was that Biden was unapologetic. Later in the day, the Post’s Jonathan Capehart interviewed Biden for his podcast and the Post then released this snippet. Biden’s response is basically ‘what’s the problem?’ even ‘what’s your problem?’ His actual key quote is this: “I was making the point how courageous these people are, how incredible they are, this generation of warriors, these fallen angels we’ve lost. I don’t know what the problem is. What is it that I said wrong?”

I should emphasize here that it wasn’t Capehart’s article. So he’s just getting Biden’s response. You can listen to the audio here.

I’m curious what you make of it.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13758 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

Remember the count of debate questions and press coverage in '16 between tRump and Clinton where the majority for tRump was about his supposed policies and for Clinton it was about emails.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#3 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:53 PM

Josh Marshall explains why it was appropriate that Comey shared the memos since he was acting as a whistle blower. The IG missed that. Then there's this throwaway that I really want to call out here where Chuck Todd is, once again, being f***ing Chuck Todd. What a dipshit. Remind me again, why does this guy still have his job?

Yesterday I was amazed to see Chuck Todd suggest to Comey’s friend and public supporter Benjamin Wittes that Bill Barr’s apolitical bona fides had been reestablished by the fact that Barr did not prosecute Comey. This is an astonishingly stupid suggestion, which again underlines the way Trump’s criminality and bad acting gets normalized to create an environment in which the major media can operate, to create a bothsidesist equilibrium.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#4 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:15 PM

From the Department of Are You F***ing Kidding Me? I thought CNN was better at avoiding stooges. Dunce caps for these two.

CNN hosts John King and Dana Bash made specious argument on Friday that if Democrats hadn’t been trumpeting impeachment for the past two years, Republicans might be more on board with the effort.

What, wait?

During a Friday segment on CNN’s “Inside Politics,” a panel of political correspondents discussed the lack of strategy from the White House in the midst of the Democrats’ impeachment inquiry and theorized how Republicans would be more on board with the idea of President Donald Trump’s impeachment.

“The Republicans on the Hill are walking down this line that, ‘This is wrong, this is appalling. This is not something I would do.’ But a lot of them quickly add, ‘it’s not impeachable,'” Wall Street Journal White House reporter Michael Bender said.

King agreed and said that Bender made “a great point.” He added that Democrats spent the last two-and-a-half years talking about impeaching Trump — and perhaps jumped the gun.

“If they had talked about how they didn’t like his behavior, they had aggressive oversight — but they had themselves repeatedly used the impeachment word,” King said. “Would Republicans be more open-minded?”

Bash said that she believed that would be the case.

“I think yes, because some of the Republicans who are quiet are also saying that what they hear from their constituents back home is: ugh, enough already,” Bash said. “That it’s the Russia hangover and that they think it’s just more of this.”

#5 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6134 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:34 AM

View PostLFC, on 05 October 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

From the Department of Are You F***ing Kidding Me? I thought CNN was better at avoiding stooges. Dunce caps for these two.

CNN had Corey Lewandowski on staff for election commentary after he was fired by the Trump campaign. Good stooge there and that little blond chick whose name I don't remember but who now is on Fox. She always spouted GOP and then Trump supportive words.

The concept of 24 hour coverage just lends itself to on air people babbling on and on filling up air time. Stupid stuff is said all the time.

#6 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10272 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:54 PM

Seriously, the news channel that just rotates through the top news in a fairly short cycle (IIRC CNN used to do this) should capture a lot of the "I need an update, don't waste my time" set.

If they want entertainment mixed in, play syndicated cartoons for fill.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#7 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:14 PM

Andrea Mitchell jumps on the "the Trumps and the Bidens are the same" train. What a dipshit.

An MSNBC panel helped host Andrea Mitchell put things in perspective after she opined on the “swampiness” of Hunter Biden, the son of former Vice President Joe Biden.

Hunter Biden recently became a public target of conservatives after it was revealed that President Donald Trump was pressing Ukraine to investigate him and his father. Trump critics contend that it’s laughable to investigate the Bidens when Trump’s family appears far more corrupt.

“There’s no question that there is a swampiness about Hunter Biden’s work given his lack of qualifications for a lot of this stuff,” Mitchell said during her Monday MSNBC program. “But there’s a real equivalency here because Eric and Donald Trump Jr. are involved in businesses around the world.”

Republican analyst Rick Tyler reminded Mitchell that Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner, worked for the government while raking in millions from private ventures.

“So, let’s just compare that,” he continued. “Hunter Biden claimed he made $50,000 while serving on a board of a natural gas company in Ukraine. There’s been all kinds of allegations about China — but it doesn’t seem Hunter Biden personally benefitted. People believe he walked away with a billion dollars, that’s simply not true.”

“There’s been just absolutely no evidence that Hunter has done anything wrong,” Tyler said. “But to spread things that are just absolutely false and the comparison is utterly ridiculous.”

Former Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD) agreed with Tyler.

“There is absolutely no comparison,” she said of the Trumps and the Bidens.

#8 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:32 PM

Once again way too much of the MSM is trying to make the story about the partisan divide, not its actual cause. The divide over Trump isn't between a party that has clear evidence of a serious crime and a party that will defend their guy no matter what. Nope, it's the tired, worn out, intellectually lazy / moronic "both sides are to blame" trope.

When the final vote tally on a formal resolution governing the impeachment inquiry concluded on Thursday with a party-line split — all Republicans present voted against the resolution, and all but two Democrats voted for it — one could practically hear the squeak of excitement from the mainstream media pundit class. Here was an opportunity to run with a “partisan polarization” narrative that neatly sidesteps the substantive disagreement between the two parties.

The situation is simple: The Republican Party, both its politicians and its voters, has collectively decided that it’s fine for Donald Trump to use his office to run an illegal extortion scheme against a foreign leader in an effort to cheat in the 2020 election. The moral rot of the Republican Party, and its cultist loyalty to a criminal president is the sole reason for this situation. Democrats are — rather too reluctantly! — trying to do something to stop the bleeding.

But to read mainstream news coverage, one would think the real problem is that both sides are irascible and bitterly divided, and that there’s some reasonable solution that involves everyone joining hands and finding some way to compromise.

“Analysis: On Impeachment Fight, Neither Side Seems Willing To Give an Inch,” read the Friday morning front-page headline at the New York Times, which, as usual, was the most egregious offender when it comes to “both sides” pablum.

The article underneath, by Carl Hulse, focused exclusively on the failure to compromise, noting that “the two parties [are] pulling ever further apart as they dig in deeper on the righteousness of their respective causes” and that “[l]ittle evidence has emerged that either side is willing to give an inch.”

How the parties are supposed to compromise on the issue of whether the president should be allowed to commit serious crimes is not even addressed. After all, to acknowledge that one side is for crimes and the other side is against them might expose how ridiculous this “compromise vs. polarization” framework really is.

The Associated Press covered the vote in a similar vein, writing that “Democrats swept a rules package for their impeachment probe of President Donald Trump through a divided House,” and failing to note until the 22nd paragraph that Republicans have been calling for such a vote for weeks, as Media Matters pointed out.

Other outlets, including NBC News, CNN and the Washington Post, ran front-page stories on the way partisan polarization shaped the vote and is driving the polling on impeachment.

These stories are tough, because, in one sense, it’s technically true that the vote and the polling shows that Americans are deeply divided, by party identity, on the issue of impeachment. But that framework misses the larger story: The reason for this deep division is that Republicans, both voters and their representatives, have completely abandoned any respect for democracy and rule of law, choosing instead the cult of personality around a flagrant criminal. It ignores that Democrats value the truth and Republicans are awash in lies. It equates the two sides in a way that is not justified by looking at the bigger picture.

The “both sides” frame, in other words, hides the fact that this situation is very a one-sided problem.

There are exceptions but the GOP screeches at top volume at anybody who dares question Dear Leader.

One shining exception in the coverage was another front-page story at the Washington Post that looked away from the “both sides” frame and focused on the real story, which is how the Republican Party has become an authoritarian cult.

The story, written by Washington Post staffer Griff Witte, follows what happened to Rep. Francis Rooney, R-Fla., when he ever so gently suggested that it was important “to get all the facts on the table” and said he valued substantive evidence such as the testimony from “professional diplomats” and the fact that Trump’s acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, had literally admitted to holding up military aid to extort political favors from Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

Even showing mild interest in the facts, however, led to Rooney getting drummed out of the party by Republican leadership in his district, who saw his curiosity about truth as “an act of supreme disloyalty to a leader they say they have come to revere more than any in their lifetimes.”

#9 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6134 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

I've been watching a Netflix show called The Politician which is about an ambitious high school student in a swanky private school in Santa Barbara. He has his whole political career right up to the presidency planned out. Senior class president is his first step.

The 5th episode features an undecided male voter on election day. He is completely occupied with thoughts of sex. He is buttonholed by both campaigns on student election day and he just has no idea what they are going on about. He is surprised when someone in the cafeteria stalks off in a huff after a little talk of the election. He plays a video game during a mandatory debate between candidates. When pressed by one candidate he finally has an opinion saying that the school vending machines suck and the bathroom stalls need locks.

This guy represents a lot of Americans. Uninterested, unmoved, leave me alone attitude until something that directly affects his personal life is discussed. Ultimately he did not vote.

#10 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8172 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 02 November 2019 - 01:53 PM

I kind of ran into this in real life. I was on a "school switch", as VP of my Junior class. Landed myself in a very wealthy school, in the middle of an election. My counterpart was a beautiful black man on his way to student body president. Complete with purchasing votes etc. His opponent was talking about more practical things. My counterpart won, but there was trouble. Ran out on a rail, for his nasty politics. Jesus. I was just there to check out their school…Probably the first place in life when politics-the real down and dirty- hit me like that.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#11 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:29 PM

They really just can't help themselves. Bonus points for using a picture of political numbnuts Chuck Todd for the story.

After two weeks of gripping testimony that established Donald Trump’s flagrant abuse of power beyond any reasonable doubt, after an effectively uncontested accusation that Republican conspiracy theories about Ukraine advance a Russian agenda, and after the ostensibly “moderate” members of Trump’s party actually hardened their support for the president, there is precisely one huge, overarching news story that demands to be written: That the GOP has fully descended into lawlessness and lunacy.

But our elite political reporters simply can’t bring themselves to say so. Over in the opinion sections, it’s a cacophony, almost entirely across the political spectrum. But in the news columns, it’s just another story with two sides and reporters aren’t taking either one.

The problem of course is that on one side, facts don’t matter. So equating both sides is not a neutral act. It means facts don’t matter to you, either. It’s a nihilistic way to cover politics.

The top of Greg Miller’s Washington Post article about Fiona Hill’s testimony was an extraordinary — possibly legendary — example of both-sides-ism, in which Miller tried to recast Hill’s blistering indictment of Republicans into a commentary on “the insidious forces — including the spread of conspiracy theories — infecting American politics.”

Miller wrote that Hill put the “unfolding Ukraine scandal in a broader political context” with her warnings “that the country’s susceptibility to baseless allegations and partisan infighting are more than unfortunate byproducts of this political era.”

And “above all, she spoke with palpable concern about the extent to which partisanship in the United States’ political system has weakened the country’s ability to agree on objective reality. ‘Our nation is being torn apart,’ she said. ‘Truth is questioned.’”

But as even Miller finally had to acknowledge, Hill’s testimony was actually “a bristling rebuke of Republican lawmakers — and by extension Trump — who have sought to sow doubt about Russia’s interference in the 2016 U.S. election.”

#12 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13758 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:18 PM

“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#13 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10272 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:18 PM

Try https://www.salon.co...hical-collapse/

Pro tip: if you copy and paste a line from the quote into a search engine, it can often point you right to it.
At a guess, Rawstory copied a bit too much from Salon and got a takedown right away.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#14 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31119 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:57 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 26 November 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

Try https://www.salon.co...hical-collapse/

Pro tip: if you copy and past a line from the quote into a search engine, it can often point you right to it.
At a guess, Rawstory copied a bit too much from Salon and got a takedown right away.

Uh, oh. Am I next?

#15 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10272 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:43 AM

Salon is not one of the worst copyright berserkers. The Salon piece went a lot farther than your snippet and -- look! Thanks to it, several more people at least MIGHT go to Salon to read more.
— Nate Silver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users