Mattis

7 replies to this topic

#1 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3416 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:39 AM

Invoking “devoir de reserve” occurs for me as a too precious by half.

https://www.theatlan...s-trump/596665/

#2 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31793 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:50 AM

I opined on this over here. He's desperate to appear both loyal but to also stand up for what's right. It can't be that way. Either he speaks out before the election or he's a weak man that just needs to shut up. Of course there are book deals to be cut...
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#3 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3416 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:52 AM

Right, I should have put it there...didn’t see the thread

Maybe this one could be moved over there.

#4 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31793 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:53 AM

View Postgmat, on 30 August 2019 - 08:52 AM, said:

Right, I should have put it there...didn’t see the thread

Maybe this one could be moved over there.

Naaaah. Leave it here. If we remember it's here maybe we'll get a nice timeline of his moral gymnastics.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#5 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1955 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:20 AM

Is it possible Mattis is still technically eligible for a court martial and loss of his military pension, if Dumpster decides to go (additionally) bat shit crazy?
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#6 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9382 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

I'd hate to be him. I'm sure he'd love to speak out, but I'm not sure adding more norm-busting to the equation is the best path. I think his letter said all that needed to be said for anybody who was going to listen anyway.

As I said, I'd hate to be him.

#7 gmat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3416 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:52 AM

I like what Farley said about it. Especially about Goldberg (disc: I don’t like Goldberg at all)

“This is a classic of the Jeff Goldberg canon; demonstrate how well-connected Jeff is without getting anything particularly useful about the subject. Jeff has a long history of these kinds of interviews, which mainly serve to demonstrate that Goldberg is a Really Important Guy that Important People Talk to. BTW the Mattis op-ed in the WSJ is not good. The first two-thirds serves as a long subtweet of Trump, confirming what basically everyone knows about Mattis’ attitude towards the President. It ends with some weird stuff that amounts to “both sides do it, except the Marines.” I do hope that Mattis comes to appreciate the existence and value of politics at some point before November 2020.”

http://www.lawyersgu...atsec-roundup-2

#8 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:39 AM

Mattis is doing the country no good when he drops hints but then walks away from them with a "stay tuned until I decide to talk more" promise. Either say it, or sink into anonymous retirement General.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users