103 replies to this topic

#41 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32837 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:29 AM

The right-winger who played the victim turns out to be an accomplice.

The conservative op-ed website Quillette announced Monday night that controversial right-wing writer Andy Ngo is leaving his job as an editor at the site, an announcement that comes on the same day that a Portland newspaper published a story revealing that Ngo witnessed a far-right group planning violence but never reported it.

Ngo, a photographer who was until recently a sub-editor at Quillette, became a celebrity on Fox News and other pro-Trump media outlets after he was attacked by left-wing demonstrators at a Portland political rally in June. Ngo then became prominent as an opponent of political violence, with most of his criticism aimed at the left.

But footage taken by an undercover liberal activist in May and described on Monday by the Portland Mercury showed Ngo witnessing activists from the far-right group Patriot Prayer planning a violent confrontation at a bar associated with left-wing activists. Ngo never reported on what he had seen the Patriot Prayer members planning, and some of the people involved in the attack at the bar now face felony riot charges.

This clip, shot right before Patriot Prayer arrived at Cider Riot on May Day, is the clearest evidence I've seen supporting the claim that PP & leader Joey Gibson were intent on instigating a fight that afternoon. https://t.co/G1iM9XUDi2
— Alex Zielinski (@alex_zee) August 22, 2019

Hours after the Portland Mercury story ran on Monday, Ngo removed his Quillette job from his Twitter profile. Shortly after that, Ngo’s name disappeared from the masthead at Quillette, a self-described “platform for free thought” that has become a hub for the right-wing Intellectual Dark Web movement.

Ngo didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Quillette editor-in-chief Claire Lehmann insisted in emails to The Daily Beast that Ngo’s exit had nothing to do with the Portland Mercury story or the undercover footage that began to circulate on Twitter last week, saying instead that Ngo left the site weeks earlier but that the move was only made public on Monday.

“Andy actually moved on from Quillette a few weeks ago because he is undertaking bigger & better projects, we just hadn't updated the website and he hadn't updated his Twitter bio until today,” Lehmann wrote.

Asked about the videos of Ngo standing next to the far-right activists as they planned an attack on their political opponents, Lehmann said she hadn’t watched the footage.

“I haven't seen the video,” Lehmann told The Daily Beast.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#42 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32837 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:08 AM

It's hard to believe that this guy was appointed by Trump. He's certainly not toeing the administration line.

U.S. Attorney Justin Herdman tore into white supremacist ideology on Thursday while announcing new charges against the Ohio white nationalist who was arrested last week.

Herdman, who serves the Northern District of Ohio, announced that the feds were charging James Reardon with one count of making threats after an FBI raid on Reardon’s home revealed a stockpile of weapons and ammunition, along with white nationalist material.

“Now let me speak generally to those who are advocates for white supremacy, or white nationalism,” Herdman said during the press conference. “I am talking directly to you.”

The prosecutor proceeded to slam white nationalists and their decision to take out their “frustration at failure in the political arena by resorting to violence.”

Herdman said that threats or acts of violence from “cowards” in the name of white supremacy “don’t make you soldiers, they make you criminals.”

“We are always awake,” the prosecutor said. “And arm in arm with the public, when your hatred leads you to break the law, we will do everything we can to be there to stop you.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#43 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2059 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:27 PM

View PostLFC, on 30 August 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

It's hard to believe that this guy was appointed by Trump. He's certainly not toeing the administration line.
Sounds like he just wrote his resignation letter
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#44 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32837 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:15 AM

Twitter says algorithms to ban neo-Nazis are likely to also scrub Republicans. (From April.)

Is booting neo-Nazis from Twitter a simple process? Probably not. Can steps be taken at the very least to punish racist tweets? Probably, but not everyone will be happy with whose hate speech gets scrubbed as a result.

With a user base of 321 million monthly tweeters — a few millions less than the total US population — the micro-blogging site could help minimize the rapid spread of digital hate speech in the country if they helped silence racist and xenophobic tweets. Turns out one Twitter employee couldn’t help but wonder why they don’t take action.

During an all-hands staff meeting on March 22nd, an employee asked why the company refrains from using its AI to kick white nationalists off the site. After all, Twitter had previously ushered a sweep of bans on accounts pushing Islamic State propaganda. The answer was unsurprising for anyone who’s ever perused Twitter: Content filters created to identify hate speech could potentially result in Republican politicians being banned, an executive explained.

#45 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10718 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:41 AM

Time to apply the Duck Test.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#46 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14364 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:37 PM

View PostLFC, on 01 September 2019 - 08:15 AM, said:

There is a difference?
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#47 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2400 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

AnBr, on 01 September 2019 - 01:37 PM, said:

There is a difference?

Yes, there is.

The neo-Nazis despise the Republicans for being too namby-pamby. The Republicans are either slightly embarrassed by the neo-Nazis for being out in the open, or are jealous for being able to be out in the open. Different emotions, you see.

#48 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10718 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:26 AM

Probabilistic, on 02 September 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

The neo-Nazis despise the Republicans for being too namby-pamby. The Republicans are either slightly embarrassed by the neo-Nazis for being out in the open, or are jealous for being able to be out in the open. Different emotions, you see.

In other words, fine points of etiquette only discernable among members of the congregation but indistinguishable to everyone else.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#49 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14364 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:00 PM

Probabilistic, on 02 September 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

Yes, there is.

That was the preTrumpism party. tRump has made it OK for the Repugs to be as openly racist and radical as they have always wanted to be.
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

#50 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10718 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:45 PM

The thing to remember is that the modern Republican Party consists of basically three components:
  • The plutocrats who have been the "smoke filled room" machers of the Party since they were Whigs.
  • The ageing remnants of the pre-Goldwater Party of Eisenhower, Rockefeller, and Ford. Very few left; my parents might still be members if they were alive (not sure about my mother, though -- she got surprisingly modern after 70 or so.)
  • The heirs of the Southern Democrats. That includes their northern and western brethren who were always racist as Hell.
That's pretty much it.
— Nate Silver

#51 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14364 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:35 PM

It is that third group that Trumpism has emboldened to be more overt about their racism and bigotry. The first uses Trumpism as a tool to manipulate the third. And what remains of the second have been mostly ejected as RINOs.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#52 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32837 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:07 PM

These are some of the "fine people" that Trump and Republicans are running cover for. (No, not the Russians though they're running cover for them too.)

The FBI has been contacted by officials at two universities after photos of hundreds of Jewish students and staff appeared on a website run by a white nationalist who openly advocates for “exterminating Jews and those who serve them.”

Journalists from student newspapers at Brandeis University near Boston and Yeshiva University in New York City sounded the alarm in recent days after discovering the cache of photos on the anti-Semitic and racist message board VNN Forum.

One of the site’s senior members attacked a Jewish community center near Kansas City five years ago, killing three people.

The forum and its namesake Vanguard News Network are run by Alex Linder, a longtime presence in the white nationalist movement who routinely endorses the killing of Jewish people. He praised the massacre at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh last year and was even banned from Gab, a favorite of neo-Nazis and other racists, for advocating violence.

#53 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3786 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:59 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 02 September 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

The thing to remember is that the modern Republican Party consists of basically three components:
  • The plutocrats who have been the "smoke filled room" machers of the Party since they were Whigs.
  • The ageing remnants of the pre-Goldwater Party of Eisenhower, Rockefeller, and Ford. Very few left; my parents might still be members if they were alive (not sure about my mother, though -- she got surprisingly modern after 70 or so.)
  • The heirs of the Southern Democrats. That includes their northern and western brethren who were always racist as Hell.
That's pretty much it.

I take it evagelicals are in that third group?
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#54 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14364 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:28 PM

I would say that is mostly a given.

— Fran Lebowitz

— Carl Sagan

— Carl Sagan

— H.L. Mencken

#55 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32837 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:46 AM

Read this whole thing and realize that this is the kind of person that Trump and the Republicans have been spinning up for fun, profit, and political gain. Of course they try to back out of their responsibility as soon as one of these nutjobs goes off and hurts somebody but you'd have to be an idiot or a Republican (but I repeat myself) to deny the connection at this point.

The plan came from Shane Kohfield, who earlier this summer had his guns confiscated by the FBI and was briefly taken to a VA hospital after announcing a similar plan in front of the mayor of Portland’s house. Right Wing Watch flagged the interview on Monday.

“There’s a group of people that are trying to dismantle the Constitution, and they want to kill us. I’m trying to protect freedom,” the Marine veteran told Larson, referring to the vaguely defined term “antifa,” or those who identify as antifascists. Kohfield later said he would only carry out his plan in response to lethal violence from antifa, calling the plan a “nuclear deterrent.”

Midway through the conversation, Larson asked for detail.

“What is the detailed plan to wipe out antifa?” he probed, repeating the question again before Kohfield launched into it.

After extensive information-gathering involving finding home addresses and dividing cities into grids assigned to specific anti-antifa military veterans, Kohfield said, “the veterans will be broken down into squads.”

The squads, he said, would be given a list of addresses of “the most violent antifa members” and would work “until every one of them was gone in every city in America, if need be, in a single well-coordinated night.”

Larson pressed again: What would be the plan for antifa members found sleeping in their beds, who pose no immediate threat to anyone?

“Well, according to the plan, it would be kill,” Kohfield replied.

Larson ended the interview soon after, thanking Kohfield for his service and his time.

It wasn’t the first time Kohfield had spoken about the plan.

#56 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32837 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

More Trump racism designed to wind up the crazies. If he's not a white supremacist then he's certainly in league with them to get their votes.

President Donald Trump this week mocked one of his Hispanic supporters during a campaign rally by claiming that he looked white and then asking him, “Who do you like more, the country or the Hispanics?”

In an interview with ABC News, Republican consultant Mike Madrid slammed Trump and said his remarks made it sound like he was trying to make “a distinction between Hispanics and true Americans.”

Madrid added that the president seems to believe that Hispanics must renounce their heritage in order to be truly accepted as American citizens.

“Hispanics are demonstrably second-class citizens in the eyes of this president,” he said. “These are both textbook definitions of racism.”

Melissa Michelson, a political scientist at Menlo College in California and former president of the Latino caucus of the American Political Science Association, similarly told ABC News that Trump is creating a “false choice” by telling people they have to be either Hispanics or Americans.

“A vast majority of Latinos in the United States have strong identities both as Americans, and as Latinos or as Hispanics,” she said, and then went on to say Trump was just delivering “the same message as always, which is that the loyalty to America of people of color is questionable.”

#57 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32837 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:49 PM

Domestic terrorism, plain and simple. I say sentence them like their races were reversed.

Two white students at the University of Arizona are accused of a racist assault against a black student.

The victim said two men — later identified as Matthew Frazier and Matthew Rawlings — called him the N-word before attacking him Sept. 10 outside a residence hall, reported the Arizona Republic.

The men punched him in the head and kicked him after he fell to the ground, and the black man said they used racial slur about 10 times during the attack.

The victim told police he didn’t know his assailants, and he initially wasn’t sure whether it was racially motivated.

Witnesses backed the victim’s story, and police arrested the suspects a short time later on misdemeanor assault charges.

Both suspects appeared to be intoxicated, police said.

The victim suffered “minor injuries” from the assault, including scrapes on his knuckles, elbow and knee.

#58 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32837 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:56 AM

I'm putting this here because living a life of official government harassment because of skin color / religion is terrorism. Can you imagine the screeching outrage of the frothing right if they had to face anything like this because of their now well documented dangerous beliefs to our nation?

A New Jersey mayor says he was racially profiled when Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers detained him at JFK airport for three hours last month, questioning him about whether he knew any terrorists. Prospect Park Mayor Mohamed Khairullah, who is Muslim, says he was singled out based on his faith.

Khairullah told CBS News his family initially missed their flight to Turkey in early July because of an issue with the TSA that he believes was racially motivated. When they returned to the airport the next day, the family allowed extra time to go through security, and it took them nearly five hours to get through one screening, he says.

When the family's trip was over and they returned back to New York's JFK airport on August 2, they were stopped almost immediately after stepping off the plane. Khairullah says he and his family were racially profiled again.

The mayor told CBS News a CBP agent told him it was random screening and made light of the situation. But once Khairullah was taken into an office by himself, the mood changed.

"It was like a wolf in sheep's clothing," Khairullah said about the CBP agent. "He was a sheep while walking into the room, but while he had me in the room, he changed his face and tone flat out to ask me if I met with any terrorists."

"They changed their story," he said. "They told us DHS instructed them to stop us." The CBP agents asked Khairullah his name, nicknames, where he went to college for both his bachelor's and master's degree, and then asked if he knew any terrorists.

"He directly asked me if I knew of any terrorist cells being developed in Turkey," Khairullah told CBS News. When he told the CBP agent "no," he was asked again: "Did you meet any terrorists there?"

"That's when I realized the discussion was non-productive. I don't have any ties to terrorism," Khairullah said.

Bewildered by the questioning, he asked if he could speak to a lawyer. Khairullah said his lawyer told him the agents could only ask his name, where he went and why he went there. CBP could also inspect his luggage, Khairullah's lawyer told him.

The agents weren't searching his luggage, so Khairullah asked if the questioning was done and if he and his family could leave. They told him no, they had to inspect his phone.

After speaking to a second lawyer, Khairullah told the agents he no longer consented to the search of his phone. CBP said they had to hold the phone and then proceeded to search the family's bags and pat Khairullah down. Finally, they were able to leave — without his phone.

Khairullah got his phone back 12 days later, with the help of a lawyer from Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).

#59 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2302 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:42 AM

Profiling bad. Read something recently about an American journalist receiving similar treatment at the Austin airport.

Use a burner phone for international travel if you don't want your primary phone searched
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#60 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32837 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

The DHS has some proposals on fighting right-wing terrorism in America. Trump is expected to ignore them.

A string of mass shootings involving white nationalists has finally spurred the Department of Homeland Security to come up with a plan to confront the threat.

The Atlantic reports that DHS will unveil a new policy for combating white nationalist terrorism and its goals include securing “more resources to analyze the changing nature of terrorism in the U.S.; improve information-sharing with local law enforcement; and provide training to communities to prevent or respond to attacks, including through active-shooter drills and security in schools.”

While this sounds good, the Atlantic’s report also finds that many of the policy recommendations contained in the plan simply call for more study of the issues surrounding white nationalist recruitment and incitement, which indicates that the government is still trying to get a handle on the problem.

And even if the plan were perfect, argues the Atlantic, there’s no chance of it being implemented by the Trump White House.

“Then there is the matter of money,” the publication writes. “Some of the very same kinds of programs DHS now wants to expand have seen budget and personnel cuts throughout the Trump administration.”

George Selim, a former DHS official who specialized in counter-extremism, said that the Trump administration has “gutted” programs that in the past have been used to disrupt white nationalist organizing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users