#21 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10757 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

View PostLFC, on 08 August 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

“I never thought that somebody would equate ‘right-wing extremism’ with the Republican Party or the Tea Party or anything like that,” he said.

Well obviously the Republicans did. Hmmmm .....
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#22 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10757 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

View PostLFC, on 09 August 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

The Justice Department, under President Trump’s hand-picked Attorney General Bill Barr, refused to hand over the data or the document to Congress.

Isn't the "executive privilege" excuse wearing more than a bit thin?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#23 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10757 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:49 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 14 August 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

How long can someone like this be put away for making threats? Probably not for very long since he didnt shoot anyone.

Depends on who he threatened.
— Nate Silver

#24 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8311 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:03 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 14 August 2019 - 07:49 PM, said:

Depends on who he threatened.

Ya. Silly me. If he actually had shot a brown-skin, he probably would have gotten an executive pardon plus another thumb's up from the prez. Cue El Paso baby photo...
What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

California Secession - Let my people go!

#25 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:25 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 14 August 2019 - 07:42 PM, said:

Isn't the "executive privilege" excuse wearing more than a bit thin?

To paraphrase you, depends on who's claiming it. Executive privilege is in the eye of the beholder (a.k.a. IOKIYAR).
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#26 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

Madeleine Albright has words for Ken Cuccinelli and they aren't kind.

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright didn’t hold back Wednesday in response to Acting Director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Ken Cuccinelli’s anti-immigrant rewrite of Emma Lazarus’ famous poem etched onto the Statue of Liberty.

Albright characterized Cuccinelli’s take on the poem as “completely un-American” during a CNN appearance Wednesday evening.

“I’ve been a refugee twice, once from the Nazis and we were in England, and then we came to the United States when the communists took over in Czechoslovakia,” Albright said. “And I think that it is one of the most un-American things I’ve ever heard.”

CNN noted that Albright, who is known for wearing decorative pins to convey her foreign policy stance, wore a Statue of Liberty pin on her jacket during her Thursday segment.

“I think the Statue of Liberty is weeping,” Albright said, before stating how she will “always remember” seeing the Statue of Liberty when she sailed by it coming to the United States.

Albright also argued that immigration policy during various periods in American history was “generous” and that the U.S. has benefited from the diversity that has resulted from immigration.

“We are forgetting that great history of our country,” Albright said.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#27 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:39 AM

Another would-be domestic terrorist caught.

A federal judge in Las Vegas ordered a man allegedly affiliated with a neo-Nazi organization detained until trial on a weapons charge because he was planning violent attacks, according to a filing released Wednesday.

“The Court finds that the defendant is not just talking about what he believes and intends to do, but rather is planning, and has engaged in actions,” Magistrate Judge Nancy Koppe wrote in her order.

In the criminal complaint against Conor Climo filed last week, in which he was charged with possession of an unregistered firearm, an FBI agent described online conversations in which Climo detailed plans to attack synagogues, a gay bar, an office of the Anti-Defamation League and other targets.

During Climo’s arrest, the agent said, law enforcement found various components that could be used in explosive devices in the man’s home, as well as two rifles. Climo also allegedly admitted to joining The Feuekrieg Division, a splinter group affiliated with the neo-Nazi Atomwaffen Division, which has been tied to several killings.

“The defendant admits that he is a White Supremacist and has an ideology regarding certain people, including Jewish people, homosexuals, and African Americans, and that he has hatred towards them, wants to cause harm to them, and kill them,” the judge said.

Climo’s hatred of Jews, the judge said, “appears to be driven by his lack of money and an anti-Semitic trope that people of the Jewish religion control money.”

Prosecutors are calling the situation out in plain English, not Tucker Carlsonese.

For two years, the basic description had appeared in reporting by ProPublica and Frontline: Atomwaffen Division is a neo-Nazi organization eager for a race war and committed to terrorist attacks against Jews, immigrants and other targets in the U.S. — power grids, nuclear facilities — that would foment fear.

The description ran in stories describing how the group had been connected to five murders in recent years, including one involving a gay, Jewish college student in California. It appeared in a Frontline film raising questions about the federal response to domestic terrorism threats just weeks after 11 Jewish worshipers were allegedly killed by a racist gunman in Pittsburgh.

So it was striking, then, when late last week those very words turned up a formal complaint filed by federal prosecutors as they announced the arrest of a 23-year-old man in Las Vegas for plotting to firebomb one or more Jewish sites in the city.

“AWD is a white supremacist extremist organization,” the complaint read. “AWD membership consists of mostly white males between the ages of approximately 16 to 30 years of age who all believe in the superiority of the white race. AWD utilizes a ‘leaderless resistance’ strategy in which small independent groups, or individuals called ‘lone wolves,’ try to achieve a common goal of challenging the established laws, social order, and government via terrorism and other violent acts. AWD encourages attacks on the federal government, including critical infrastructure, minorities, homosexuals, and Jews. AWD works to recruit like-minded members to the organization, train them in military tactics, hand to hand combat, bomb making, and other techniques in preparation for an ‘ultimate and uncompromising victory’ in a race war.”

#28 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:50 PM

Another domestic terrorist, though I'm sure he'd deny the label.

An Illinois man is facing hate crime charges after he allegedly attacked a Hispanic man with an ice pick.

ABC News Radio reported that 67-year-old Joseph Zens is accused of abruptly changing lanes in his 2009 Hyundai SUV to force a 57-year-old Latino biker off the road.

According to a statement from the Lake County Sheriff’s Office, Zens yelled racial slurs and expletives at the victim. The statement said that Zens told the man to “go back to his country.”

Zens reportedly struck the victim with an ice pick as he got on his motorcycle and tried to move away. The victim was eventually able to call 911.

Deputies later arrested Zens at his home without incident.

#29 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14395 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:13 PM

Trump considering designating antifa an “organization of terror.”
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#30 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:28 PM

View PostAnBr, on 19 August 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

Gotta' throw a bone to his peeps! BTW even the founder of the right-wingut Oath Keepers warned his members not to attend. He doesn't want to be associated with white supremacists. Trump clearly does.

The leader of a large right-wing militia group told followers to skip a planned rally in Portland, Oregon, on Saturday, saying that organizers hadn’t properly kept white nationalists away from the event and that attendees could face legal consequences.

In a statement on his group’s website, Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes said he owed it to his membership to disavow the so-called “End Domestic Terrorism” rally, where attendees will demand that anti-fascists, or “antifa,” be labeled a terrorist group.

“We do not believe the organizers are taking the steps necessary to ensure that white nationalist and suspected white nationalist groups and individuals will be excluded,” he wrote.

Rhodes expressed concern that threats of violence from the right could put attendees at legal risk.

Citing the work of anarchist news website It’s Going Down, Rhodes pointed to the archived posts the site has collected that show prominent far-right figures, including the event’s organizers, seemingly threatening violence.

Rhodes said that statements that can be “construed as expressing an intent to come to Portland to seek out Antifa and engage them in street fights” or “worse” could “potentially expose all attendees to possible prosecution using both an Oregon state ‘rioting’ statute and a federal rioting statute.”

Joe Biggs, an event organizer and former InfoWars host who frequently posts threatening messages and memes online, claimed in a recent Facebook post flagged by The Oregonian that the FBI had asked him to “tone down” the rhetoric about the event.

“Everyone in law enforcement is on edge after these last two shootings,” he wrote, presumably referring to the shooting massacres in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, recently.

The Portland Police Bureau said in a statement earlier this month, “Based on publicly-available information, the Bureau is concerned events on August 17 may involve persons interested in participating in criminal activity.”

#31 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:32 PM

Per Trump (and I'm sure the rest of the Republican snapperheads any day now) thinks anitfa is the problem. I don't know of any incidents where their ideology has caused them to attack innocent people but yeah, they're the terrorists. Meanwhile here's some of the latest crop of white supremacist nutjobs that were caught.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

And I'll once again take this opportunity to remind everybody that the Republicans gave these people aid and comfort even before Trump when it was clear that they were a danger to our nation.

#32 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14395 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:36 PM

Posted Image
“Trump’s a stupid man’s idea of a smart person, a poor man’s idea of a rich person & a weak man’s idea of a strong man.”

— Fran Lebowitz

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

— Carl Sagan

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#33 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:08 PM

Two more white supremacist domestic terrorists convicted.

Maxwell Hare and John Kinsman, two members of far-right group Proud Boys, have been convicted for their part in a 2018 brawl that took place on the Upper East Side. The jury deliberated for a day and a half before rejecting Hare and Kinsman’s claims that they were acting in self-defense. The pair were accused of assisting in the beating of four people connected to antifa, a decentralized anti-fascist group, and were convicted on charges of attempted assault and attempted gang assault for their part in the fight, which took place after a speech given by Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes at the Metropolitan Republican Club.

Seven other Proud Boys have pleaded guilty to charges, while an eighth is awaiting trial. The antifa members refused to speak with the police and their identities were never verified. Defense lawyers, who sought to put them on trial in absentia, described the antifa members as hooligans who terrorized conservatives. In his closing argument, prosecutor Joshua Steinglass described the Proud Boys’ actions as “vicious, disproportionate and most important, unnecessary.”

#34 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

Kellyanne, while running cover for white supremacists like the Republican Party is now doing on a broad scale, lies. What a shock. Apparently lying about what antifa stands for is a standard White House (likely soon to be GOP) talking point.

Kellyanne Conway on Monday incorrectly claimed that “antifa” is really a shortened version of “anti-First Amendment,” when in reality it is a moniker for anti-fascism protesters. Conway’s claim, made while speaking from the White House on the final hour of Fox & Friends, echoed a Saturday tweet from Fox News contributor Dan Bongino, who wrote: “Everywhere the group ANTIFA (Anti-First Amendment) goes, violence and chaos follows.” The senior White House counselor appeared to have knowledge of the tweet, as she was ready with the creative interpretation on Monday morning. Fox & Friends guest host Griff Jenkins broached the subject with Conway while discussing the weekend’s confrontation in Portland, Oregon, between antifa and far-right groups, including the group the Proud Boys. President Trump tweeted over the weekend that “major consideration” is being given to declaring antifa an “organization of terror,” in all caps, seemingly confirming to far-right protesters that their demonstration was successful. Fox’s Jenkins claimed he’d spoken to a prominent antifa member (the group recognizes no official leaders) who said the president’s tweet is “an assault on their First Amendment rights.” When asked for her reaction, Conway responded: “... Do we know what antifa stands for? It’s anti-First Amendment.”

#35 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:17 PM

Noone should pay any attention to Kelly-Anne. . . ever.

#36 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

Another one of Trump's best people launched by Trump's greenlighting and constant support of hate and bigotry. This is what institutionally supported domestic terrorism looks like, folks, and the institution is the Republican Party.

After allegedly threatening a woman for months using multiple Facebook accounts — including by calling for the extermination of Hispanics and repeatedly threatening rape and murder — a man was arrested Friday in Seattle, the Justice Department announced Tuesday.

Eric Lin, 35, was charged with interstate transmission of threatening communications. According to the criminal complaint against him, Lin targeted an unnamed victim who lives in Florida but is from Spain with threatening Facebook messages, repeatedly indicating he identified with Hitler’s views. He also referenced the President.

“Our Great President Donald John Trump is too Nice of Man. But I will say it,” Lin allegedly wrote on July 15 to his victim, before unleashing a series of racial slurs and saying that Hispanic, black and Muslim Americans “will be Killed!”

“I Thank God everyday President Donald John Trump is President and that he will launch a Racial War and Crusade to keep [various slurs] and any dangerous non-White or Ethnically or Cultural Foreign group ‘In Line,’” he allegedly wrote a few days later.

By “in line,” Lin allegedly continued, “it is meant they will either be sent to ‘Concentration Camps’ or dealt with Ruthlessly and Vigorously by the United States Military.”

Court records indicate that a public defender was appointed for Lin on Monday, but that he had not entered a plea yet. Jail records show Lin in custody at the federal detention center next to the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

Per an FBI agent’s affidavit in the criminal complaint, the messages to Lin’s victim continued up until days before Lin’s arrest. Ultimately, the court filing said, investigators obtained a search warrant and went through the Facebook accounts associated with Lin.

That search revealed that in July, Lin allegedly contacted someone on Facebook and offered them $10,000 to “go to Miami and beat up this Spic who insulted me.” A couple days later, he allegedly messaged the person again, this time offering $25,000 for a more ambitious plan — kidnap the woman and drive her cross country to Seattle.

“Nothing will happen to you if you get the Right lawyers,” he allegedly said. “She’s a Spic who Hates White Americans…I doubt the FBI would care much about her.”

He added later, per the complaint: “I don’t care if I have to Pay you a Million Dollars or More I want this Done!”

#37 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6443 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

View PostLFC, on 21 August 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

Another one of Trump's best people launched by Trump's greenlighting and constant support of hate and bigotry. This is what institutionally supported domestic terrorism looks like, folks, and the institution is the Republican Party.

This guy is what Josh Marshall at Talking Points Memo would call a "feral dweeb."

For every maniac who goes the whole nine yards and perpetrates an El Paso or a Pittsburgh massacre there are countless others — like many of those rounded up over the last week — stock piling weapons, making online threats, biding their time before they mount their own atrocity, or in the great majority of cases, simply derive affirmation and feelings of power when others do. It is this penumbra of empowerment that must be a focus of attention. There is a clear line connecting the gun massacre incel and white supremacist to the anonymous or quasi-anonymous ragers who populate social media taunting and menacing women, POC, Jews or simply liberals. They draw power from each other.

At a basic level we must resist their drama and their conceits as much as their violence and their hate.

#38 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:39 PM

It was just a matter of time before the abortion crazies started making threats too. Numbers are up from basic online harassment through vandalism and up to threat of murder. It's just a matter of time before they kill in God's™ name.

One man was charged with threatening to “slaughter and murder” doctors and patients at an abortion clinic in Chicago. Another was arrested in connection with threats against Planned Parenthood and federal agents. A third vandalized a Planned Parenthood office in Pennsylvania, painting a Bible verse in red on a wall.

All this happened in the past month alone. It’s part of what doctors and reproductive rights groups say is a spike in harassment and threats against abortion providers. According to a report by the National Abortion Federation, for example, providers reported 21,252 incidents of online harassment in 2018, compared with 15,773 in 2017.

The rise in harassment coincides with a wave of anti-abortion laws and policies around the country. A number of states have passed near-total abortion bans in recent months, and Tennessee’s state legislature recently held hearings on a measure that would ban abortion as soon as a pregnancy can be detected. Meanwhile, Planned Parenthood on Monday exited the Title X federal funding program rather than comply with a Trump administration rule prohibiting program grantees from performing abortions.

Some doctors and abortion rights advocates see a link between harassment and anti-abortion rhetoric from politicians. For example, Angela Marchin, an OB-GYN in Denver who provides abortions, told Vox that she and her colleagues are seeing more online harassment with “language like ‘ripping babies from wombs just before their due date,’” a reference to a false claim made by President Trump and others that doctors routinely perform abortions while women are in labor.

“The ugly, hateful rhetoric we’re hearing across the country is being fueled by President Trump himself,” said Melanie Roussell Newman, senior vice president of communications and culture for Planned Parenthood Federation of America, in a statement to Vox.

For Planned Parenthood and other abortion rights advocates, threats and harassment against clinics are part of a larger landscape in which the president and state legislators are spreading misinformation about what abortion providers do, potentially putting them and their patients at risk.

#39 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:32 AM

Another one busted. Remember, this is the kind of person that the DHS investigative unit was looking for until Trump dismantled it.

A New Jersey man’s car crash allegedly led police to his cache of drugs, weapons and Nazi paraphernalia, the Justice Department announced Tuesday.

In late July, according to a criminal complaint filed earlier this month, police were extracting Joseph Rubino, 57, from a car crash when they observed, “among other things, various firearms and ammunition” inside the vehicle.

So they got a search warrant and went through the car — where they allegedly found various guns, sawed-off shotgun barrels and brass knuckles — and then got a search warrant for his house, where things grew much worse for Rubino.

Police allegedly uncovered handguns, rifles, shotguns, a grenade launcher, multiple kilograms of cannabis, hundreds of cannabis vape cartridges, numerous pot edibles, and around 70 grams of what police believed was methamphetamine.

And that’s before accounting for the Nazi gear. The DOJ said police found clothing and bumper stickers with the “SS Bolts” — a common symbol in the white power movement — and a document “purporting to be an instruction manual for owning a slave.”

#40 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33018 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:52 PM

Here's a disturbing picture of how and why white nationalists are also spouting off about the environment. Apparently a pristine environment is a key part of their whites-only utopia.

White nationalists around the world are appropriating the language of environmentalism.

The white nationalist who allegedly massacred 22 people in El Paso in early August posted a four-page screed on the chatroom 8chan. In it, the shooter blames his attack on the “Hispanic invasion of Texas” and the impending “cultural and ethnic replacement” of whites in America.

He also refers directly to the lengthy manifesto written by a different shooter, who allegedly murdered 52 in March in attacks motivated by Islamophobia on mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.

The Christchurch shooter called himself an “ecofascist” who believes there is no “nationalism without environmentalism.” The El Paso shooter titled his rant “An Inconvenient Truth,” apparently in reference to Al Gore’s 2006 documentary warning about the dangers of climate change. He also praised “The Lorax,” Dr. Seuss’ classic story about deforestation and corporate greed.

The prominence of environmental themes in these manifestos is not an oddity. Instead, it signals the rise of ecofascism as a core ideology of contemporary white nationalism, a trend I uncovered when conducting research for my recent book, “Proud Boys and the White Ethnostate: How the Alt-Right Is Warping the American Imagination.”

Ecofascists combine anxieties about the demographic changes they characterize as “white extinction” with fantasies of pristine lands free of nonwhites and free of pollution.

Ecofascism’s roots trace back to early 1900s when romantic notions of communion with the land took hold in Germany. These ideas found expression in the concept of “lebensraum” or living spaces, and in attempts to create an exclusive Aryan fatherhood in which “blood and soil” racial nationalism reigned supreme. The concept of lebensraum was integral to the expansionist and genocidal policies of the Third Reich.

There is a long thread that ties xenophobia to right-wing environmentalism. In the U.S., strains of ecofascism appeared in the incipient environmental movement, espoused by racialists like Madison Grant, who in the 1920s championed the preservation of native flora including California’s redwood trees, while demonizing nonwhite immigrants.

After World War II, in the name of protecting forests and rivers, nativist organizations opposed to arrivals from non-European countries stoked fears of overpopulation and rampant immigration.

A meme popular online among the far-right and ecofascists is “save trees, not refugees.” Often ecofascist memes take the form of emojis like the popular Norse rune known as Algiz, or the “life” rune. This rune, favored by Heinrich Himmler and the SS, is one of many alternative symbols to swastikas that circulate online to dog whistle neo-Nazism allegiances.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users