Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:42 AM

Recently, PG had a great comment in one of her posts over in the Guns thread:

View PostPractical Girl, on 05 August 2019 - 01:29 PM, said:

3. This is sort of "out there", even for me. But I do believe a consequence of our mass shooting days will be more and more shut-ins. Maybe not completely, but I already hear people saying that there are many places they no longer feel safe. GILROY? You must be kidding me...

I think in the next couple of years, we're going to hear much more about this. PTSD manifests in many ways. Shutting out the world is one of them. What if you could live just fine while getting your groceries and sundries delivered? You need a doctor? Get on the Internet. Entertainment, clothing, make-up? The same. Work? So much is being in-sourced- you work, you're all good and simply interface with whoever over the computer.

I hope I'm wrong.

Dark days for all.

It got me thinking, perhaps a little too much considering how little I know on the subject of PTSD. Of course I can take a cursory glance at the information out there and feel they have a good grasp of the subject. Wikipedia -- the ultimate authority on all things [/sarcasm] -- says the following in the opening paragraph:

Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental disorder that can develop after a person is exposed to a traumatic event, such as sexual assault, warfare, traffic collisions, or other threats on a person's life. Symptoms may include disturbing thoughts, feelings, or dreams related to the events, mental or physical distress to trauma-related cues, attempts to avoid trauma-related cues, alterations in how a person thinks and feels, and an increase in the fight-or-flight response. These symptoms last for more than a month after the event. Young children are less likely to show distress, but instead may express their memories through play. A person with PTSD is at a higher risk for suicide and intentional self-harm.

Of course it goes on for much longer than that, and in much greater detail.

The thing that PG got me thinking about was not simply the PTSD the surviving victims are certainly in peril of experiencing/developing, nor the PTSD of the family members of the victims are also in peril of experiencing/developing. Those are certainly valid and what I'm going to talk about below is in no way meant to belittle their experience nor what they're going to go through in the future.

PG's comment spun my mind off in a different direction; does today's media culture of fear-mongering, of selling rage 24/7, of keeping audiences aggrieved all the time and spinning them up to new heights of fear, rage and paranoia create of kind of traumatic stress disorder? It's obviously not POST traumatic stress disorder, because it's an ongoing daily deluge bombarding the viewers'/readers' psyches.

One obvious difference is nearly all causal examples cited for developing PTSD are of an acute nature, or at the longest something that lasts a relatively short time (natural disaster) compared to absorbing the wholesale selling of fear for year after year after year. (The obvious counter example is war, where years of exposure is the norm for soldiers.)

It strikes me that there are a lot of people out there probably living in an induced state of traumatic stress and it's probably become so ingrained in their very being that it has become a disorder. I'm honestly unsure how it's not a disorder. I know it's caused by voluntarily watching that garbage, though the idea that they could just turn it off any time has been questioned if not outright debunked due to the addicts curse of needing the daily dosage of anxiety and indignation.

I use the word disorder not from a clinical knowledge of what constitutes a disorder and what does not. Rather, I approach it from just looking at the word itself; dis-order. It's certainly not orderly thoughts that pushes people to hate some man or woman for seeking to make their family's lot in life a better one. It's certainly some sort of chaotic mix of those negative emotions that drive people to unreasonably fear, which leads to hate, the other. I say "the other" because it's not just brown people or gays or whomever, it's any target the peddlers in the Right Wing Noise Journalism are blasting through the heads of the Right Wing Nut Jobs.

I'm running out of steam on this idea. I let it grow and shape since posting a teaser in the other thread, but it's still only 7:36, so I may come back with more. Then again maybe not.

I'm going to leave off with a song lyric that might have been aimed at something differently (being bombarded by advertisements), but now feels all too appropriate for this topic considering what we all know about Right Wing Noise Journalism:

No escape from the mass mind rape
Play it again jack, and then rewind the tape
And then play it again and again and again
Until ya mind is locked in
Believe all the lies that they're tellin ya
Buying all the products that they're sellin ya

They say, "Jump" and you say, "How high?"
~Rage Against the Machine

Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#2 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2123 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:06 AM

Nice analysis
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users