11 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30007 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:15 PM

When it comes to championship level soccer in America the women are the stars. Sooooo when does the money follow?

The Women’s World Cup final Sunday drew more viewers than the men’s World Cup final match one year ago. The game garnered a 10.0 household rating in overnight markets—up about 20 percent from the 2018 men’s final between France and Croatia. The American 2-0 shutout over the Netherlands is also the highest-rated soccer telecast in the United States since the last women’s World Cup final in 2015. As the reigning world champions accepted their trophy after the game, fans in the packed stadium chanted “Equal pay!” Earlier this year, the American women sued the U.S. Soccer Federation for “purposeful gender discrimination,” demanding equal pay to their male counterparts.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9981 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:50 PM

Interestingly, they never show up in the sports section of my news feed. If I want World Cup coverage, I go to Deutsche Welle (dw.com)
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#3 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8149 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:03 PM

I don't know that it's been historical, but yes- for this year's finals, the women pulled higher ratings. Now- remember, we didn't have a USA dog in the fight for the men. Also important is the sharply rising worldwide interest in women's soccer. Something we haven't seen much. And? Lol- those matches were DAMN early, in US. Comfortable to watch in Europe and other places.

I understand the equal pay demands, but I'm the first person to say I don't understand all the issues, nor how many organizations are involved.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#4 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9981 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:46 PM

View PostPractical Girl, on 08 July 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

I don't know that it's been historical, but yes- for this year's finals, the women pulled higher ratings. Now- remember, we didn't have a USA dog in the fight for the men.

Well, when the four-time world champion women's team gets paid less than the nonstarter men's team you have to wonder.

My own speculation is that in the USA, women's soccer is the only game in town for most girls who know they'll never be more than six feet tall. For guys, it's fourth (at best) choice and nobody cares.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#5 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1846 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

I much prefer to watch women's soccer than men's. The passing and ball handling finesse seems greater. Raw muscle differences don't seem to change the game as much as with a sport like basketball, where I find men's play more intense to watch.

Of course in Portland, we have U of Portland, whose women's soccer team has taken the NCAA title a few times. And 4 of the tournament champions play here on the pro team -- the Thorns (Tobin Heath being the star player who was on the 2015 winning team as well).

I hope not a single team player opts to go to any potential WH celebration, and they enjoy the Capitol instead. AOC does a lot of harmful grandstanding, but I thought her counter-invitation was a great idea.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#6 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30007 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:19 PM

View Postpnwguy, on 08 July 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

I much prefer to watch women's soccer than men's. The passing and ball handling finesse seems greater. Raw muscle differences don't seem to change the game as much as with a sport like basketball, where I find men's play more intense to watch.

And less of this nonsense...

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#7 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9981 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:20 AM

You don't seriously expect men to deal with pain and emotional issues as well as women, do you?
— Nate Silver

#8 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30007 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:59 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 09 July 2019 - 06:20 AM, said:

You don't seriously expect men to deal with pain and emotional issues as well as women, do you?

Depends on the guys.

Posted Image

#9 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9981 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:34 AM

Well, Canucks. Need I say more?
— Nate Silver

#10 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1916 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:04 AM

Rugby sez hai
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

"Hell is truth seen too late" - T Hobbes

#11 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8149 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

DC, I'm not arguing against equal pay- but what does it mean, and where are the women willing to "give to get". For example, are the women contract players ready to give up their salaries in favor of bonuses- just like the men? True the men get paid, even when thy lose :lol: And we do then still have sponsorships etc, more lucrative than it all by a damn sight, to even out. I told you I was confused- here's why. Do the women make less money than the men? The answer was "sometimes".

I wish them luck in their new negotiations. I hope there is an eye kept for the future. And I am so very glad I'm not a player.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#12 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9981 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:05 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 09 July 2019 - 10:04 AM, said:

Rugby sez hai

As it happens, the only intercollegiate team sport here is ... rugby. So their team name is "Pygmies." With one of the star players being an old tenant of mine who's not only taller than I am [1] but WAAAY more muscular.

[1] Not short. 193 cm, actually.
— Nate Silver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users