Emoluments legislation?

2 replies to this topic

#1 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5112 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:34 PM

I think Nancy Pelosi would be well served by initiating legislation to codify the constitutional ban on emoluments under Federal law. It's not going to go anywhere, of course, but will put the Republicans in a serious bind. If they oppose it, they'll look like they have something to hide and don't respect the Constitution. Both of which are of course true.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#2 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6134 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:28 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 15 June 2019 - 10:34 PM, said:

I think Nancy Pelosi would be well served by initiating legislation to codify the constitutional ban on emoluments under Federal law. It's not going to go anywhere, of course, but will put the Republicans in a serious bind. If they oppose it, they'll look like they have something to hide and don't respect the Constitution. Both of which are of course true.

The Senate simply won't hear the bill so no one will have a voting record on it. That's what they've been doing all along. This, plus the media's ignoring of bills passed by the House that also will not be heard, prevents the Republican Senators from having a record of opposing legislation of any kind. Really, I wonder what the Senators do with all their time (besides fund raising).

#3 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5112 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:10 PM

Well, the House can play chicken with the budget and debt limit until the Senate hears it...
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users