3 replies to this topic

#1 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5736 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:27 PM

Adam Serwer at the Atlantic has a really interesting think piece on an argument between different factions within the right. He points out that some on the right just don't like democracy as manifested by our current government because they don't get to keep control over everything and contrasts that with the reactions of African Americans through the Civil Rights era, Japanese Americans post internment camps and Latino Americans since forever. Most of the latter groups worked through the system though a few advocated blowing it up.

Undetectable in the dispute on the right is any acknowledgment of the criticisms of liberal democracy by those who have been fighting for their fundamental rights in battles that are measured in decades and even centuries; that the social contract implicitly excluded them from the very rights white Christian men have been able to assert from the beginning. Perhaps to do so would be to acknowledge the fundamental immaturity underlying the American Orbánists’ critique: that what they describe as a crisis of liberal democracy is really just them not getting exactly what they want when they want it.

Serwer is the guy who wrote that cruelty is the point of Trump's and his supporters' actions.

#2 JackD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts
  • LocationChicago area

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

I suppose that is because white Christian men figure they were entitled because of their God created superiority and those others have to work to achieve acceptable status; the "white man's burden" and all that.

#3 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9692 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 15 June 2019 - 01:53 PM

Serwer's essay is current over at LGM.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#4 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9692 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 15 June 2019 - 01:55 PM

View PostJackD, on 15 June 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

I suppose that is because white Christian men figure they were entitled because of their God created superiority and those others have to work to achieve acceptable status; the "white man's burden" and all that.

I really like hearing about "wait your turn" as said by second-or-third generation Italian Americans (or similarly Irish) to African Americans whose ancestors were brought here as slaves before 1815.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users