#41 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:40 AM

View PostAnBr, on 31 May 2019 - 09:55 PM, said:

Look at all of those brown faces. Curious how those that scream the loudest for English only have the hardest time showing proficiency at it. They need to have their noses rubbed in this.

You've seen the words they're expected spell.

I woulnd't call spelling bee winners "proficient". Driven and over-coached perhaps.

Nor would I say people that fail to win spelling bees are not proficeint.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#42 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3657 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:42 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 01 June 2019 - 01:21 PM, said:

My life was transformed when I got my emotional-support puff-adder.

An actual real LoL at that one. Well played, sir.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#43 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28142 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:53 AM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 01 June 2019 - 01:21 PM, said:

My life was transformed when I got my emotional-support puff-adder.

Mr. Bikkies packs for his trip.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#44 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8119 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:06 AM

View PostAnBr, on 31 May 2019 - 09:55 PM, said:

Look at all of those brown faces. Curious how those that scream the loudest for English only have the hardest time showing proficiency at it. They need to have their noses rubbed in this.

Perhaps we can look at how many first/second generation Americans we had on that stage. If not them, then their parents probably remember how strange life was, being immediately identified as a non-native speaker. "Strange" as in- not always nice.

As to proficiency- I disagree with others that this doesn't prove proficiency, for those kids for whom spelling bees are a sport. Gone are the days where you simply memorized a bunch of words, made sure you could spell the longest word in the dictionary and test your memory against others. Shoot- In the way-back machine, I won a couple just like that. My Latin helped, but wasn't even close to what these kids do today.

Now? They study word origins, languages, usage- the whole deal. It is, indeed, a sport for them. Solve the problem from deep knowledge of languages. Cool.
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#45 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28142 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

View PostPractical Girl, on 03 June 2019 - 10:06 AM, said:

It is, indeed, a sport for them. Solve the problem from deep knowledge of languages. Cool.

Brain exercise compared to the brain trauma inflicted by kids playing football. Yeah, that's a terrible thing.

Posted Image
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#46 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3657 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

View PostPractical Girl, on 03 June 2019 - 10:06 AM, said:

As to proficiency- I disagree with others that this doesn't prove proficiency,

Perhaps I was unclear; I meant that it shows something way more advanced than "mere" proficiency.
Well, fuck.

#47 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4163 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:01 PM

View PostLFC, on 03 June 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

Mr. Bikkies packs for his trip.

Posted Image

That's not actually me: it's my body double. But the tranquil expression on his face as he wrangles the snake testifies eloquently to the resulting inner serenity he feels.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#48 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28142 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:57 PM

View PostRich T Bikkies, on 03 June 2019 - 01:01 PM, said:

That's not actually me: it's my body double. But the tranquil expression on his face as he wrangles the snake testifies eloquently to the resulting inner serenity he feels.

I'm not sure I see the same look on his face. It looks kinda' like he's thinking "I just peed a little."

#49 Probabilistic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2129 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 16 May 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

Not to worry. The long-term solution is The Rapture! All problems immediately solved.

Er... don't have to wait till rapture. Death is the solution to all problems. Immediate, total and final.

#50 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4163 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:29 PM

View PostLFC, on 03 June 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

I'm not sure I see the same look on his face. It looks kinda' like he's thinking "I just peed a little."

No, trust me! I've known him a year or two.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

#51 Rue Bella

Emerging from a state of cryogenic denial

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7840 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:33 PM

This would ruin one's day.

https://www.tmz.com/...der-bender-nyc/

TRACY MORGAN
BUGATTI SIDESWIPED
15 Mins After Driving Off the Lot!!!

A preliminary look shows scratches and scuffs but no serious dents. The car -- roughly worth around $2 million -- is all carbon so it's unknown how much it'll cost to repair. But, ya can't imagine it'll be cheap.

What is wrong with these people? ~ PG

No longer politically correct

#52 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1759 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

View PostRue Bella, on 05 June 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

This would ruin one's day.

https://www.tmz.com/...der-bender-nyc/

I know my day would be ruined if I got sideswiped mere minutes after driving a brand-new vehicle off the lot...and I don't think there's any universe, current, real, surreal, or parallel, in which I would be driving a $2 M Bugatti.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#53 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7840 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:00 PM

a $2 M Bugatti.

In the end, it's not so bad - it's apparently a used car from 2012.

#54 Rue Bella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7840 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:12 AM

Forced to wear to wear high heels in the workplace? Okey-dokey. How about forcing men to do the same thing? Hmmm?

https://www.cnn.com/...intl/index.html

Japanese minister: High heels for women at work are 'occupationally necessary and appropriate'

Japanese government minister has sparked controversy by saying that it is "socially accepted" that women be forced to wear high heels in the workplace.
For many years it has been required in many Japanese offices for women to wear high heels.
But a recent backlash has thrown the practice into question, with more than 19,000 people in Japan signing a petition to ban the requirement.
Speaking about the petition at a lower house committee session on Wednesday, Health, Labor and Welfare Minister Takumi Nemoto demurred on whether demanding women to wear high heels constituted an "abuse of power."

"It is socially accepted as something that falls within the realm of being occupationally necessary and appropriate," he said.
"Whether the employers' requirement to wear high heels is an abuse of power or not depends on whether the requirement goes beyond the social understanding of what is necessary and appropriate."
The petition was started by Tokyo artist, writer and feminist Yumi Ishikawa after comments she made on Twitter went viral across the country.
"I'm hoping to get rid of the custom that someday women have to wear heels and pumps at work," she wrote in January.

#55 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28142 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:04 PM

Some in-hospital infections might be able to be destroyed with very tiny electrical charges.

One of the reasons why infection is difficult to treat is because of the way bacteria congregate to create it. They form what’s called a biofilm—groups of different types of bacteria that join together and secrete a sticky mesh that holds them in place inside a wound. The mesh also helps protect the bacteria from attempts at treatment, making biofilms more resistant to antibiotics then individual bacteria. According to the CDC and the National Institutes of Health, it’s estimated that between 65 and 80 percent of all infections are caused by these difficult-to-treat biofilms.

“When bacteria chooses to become a biofilm there is quorum sensing; they talk to each other and say, ‘We have a quorum let’s form a biofilm,’” Sen said. “They have electrical communication.”

They do this either by connecting to each other using microscopic nanowires or through sending electrical signals in the form of current. But that led Sen and his team to wonder: “If we disrupt this electrical micro-environment can we disrupt them?”

Turns out, yes.

If a small external electrical current passes through a biofilm, the matrix that holds the bacteria together falls apart and the bacteria die, essentially confusing the signal. The bacteria start sending their messages in the wrong direction because their ions and electrons are attracted incorrectly.

“With this system you disintegrate the biofilm and it allows the immune system to come in fight it. It’s a cooperation,” he said.

The amount of electricity needed is minuscule. In fact, according to Sen, it is well below the amount that the FDA says is safe for human exposure. Their ultimate solution is a wound dressing—a piece of fabric—printed with a pattern of silver and zinc dots. When the fabric comes into contact with any type of body fluid, the combination produces enough energy to disrupt the bacteria.

“We have lit up an LED thermometer with that current.,” Sen said. “If you touch the fabric you can’t tell there’s any metal. Visually it looks like polka dots.”

In one of the experiments done with the fabric, the team tested it on an infection that had been allowed to spread untreated for seven days. “Once the biofilms formed we intervened with textiles,” he said. “The data was so convincing the Department of Defense has just started a clinical trial.”

The current version of the fabric creates an electrical field that can treat wounds a few millimeters deep. They have also developed a second version still in testing that uses a hearing aid battery, which provides a larger amount of electricity to silver circuitry on the dressing. This can create a bigger field, allowing for treatment of larger areas.

Sen says he’s excited about how this principle could be developed beyond his wound dressings, noting that they have research they are about to publish that shows its effects on other infections, such as those that come from fungus.

Overall, Sen believes it’s possible after more research this might be able to one day reduce the medical community’s need to rely on antibiotics. “We have not done research on that but I can see a clear path,” he said.

The first generation of the product is already on the market, sold as a wound dressing, but is going through FDA approval to be used as an infection treatment.

#56 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1759 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:47 PM

View PostLFC, on 06 June 2019 - 01:04 PM, said:

10^6 Likes.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#57 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28142 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:43 AM

Got $50M burning a hole in your pocket? Wanna' take a vacation and stay at the Hotel NASA, a.k.a. the international space station?

NASA announced Friday that it will open the International Space Station for more business and private astronaut missions. “A new NASA directive will enable commercial manufacturing and production and allow both NASA and private astronauts to conduct new commercial activities aboard the orbiting laboratory,” the agency said in a statement. More than 50 companies are already doing commercial research and development on the space station. As part of the new initiative, NASA also will allow “private astronaut missions of up to 30 days” on the station to “perform duties that fall into the approved commercial and marketing activities.” The first mission will take place as early as 2020, the agency said. “If supported by the market, the agency can accommodate up to two short-duration private astronaut missions per year,” NASA said. “These missions will be privately funded, dedicated commercial spaceflights.” CNBC reported that each private trip will likely cost $50 million, and NASA will receive $35,000 per night.

#58 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:55 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 05 June 2019 - 08:28 PM, said:

I know my day would be ruined if I got sideswiped mere minutes after driving a brand-new vehicle off the lot...and I don't think there's any universe, current, real, surreal, or parallel, in which I would be driving a $2 M Bugatti.

FYI: new tires for that car cost about $100k a set. (Yes, one hundred thousand). On the third set you also have to buy new wheels at $ 300k. The car also has a governor that limits it to 260mph. Why ? No one makes tires that can go faster than that.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

If you've got public schools paid for by taxpayers, you're in a socialist nation. If you have public roads paid for by taxpayers, socialist nation. If you've got public defense (police, fire, military, coast guard) paid for by tax dollars, socialist nation. If you're in a nation that has nationalized or localized delivery of services that are not paid for by users alone, you're in a socialist nation- the only question is how socialist. As I see it, we have the military pay to protecting the shipping lanes for our fuel needs which makes up very socialist. In a capitalist nation, the people supplying the oil would pay for their own defense force.

DC Coronata

#59 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9557 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:58 PM

View PostLFC, on 06 June 2019 - 01:04 PM, said:

Now if they can only figure a way to do this to colonies on heart valves.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#60 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13060 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:41 AM

The Destruction of Pompeii by Mount Vesuvius Re-Created with Computer Animation (79 AD)

http://www.opencultu...tion-79-ad.html

Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users