7 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27390 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:29 PM

Sounds like another crash and burn attempt at comedy brought to you by the Trump loving right-wingnuts. A few folks who actually know something about comedy made some comments that were actually, you know, funny.

TV’s own Andy Levy remarked on Twitter that “this video is deadlier than the one” in The Ring, adding that “the worst thing about this isn’t that it’s painfully unfunny it’s that whoever wrote it appears to have never even watched a minute of comedy in their life.”

Daily Show producer Ryan Middleton reacted by tweeting, “my god they are starting to get better at comedy and it is indeed making me nervous,” sarcastically referencing conspiracy theorist Paul Joseph Watson’s often-mocked claim last year that the “right is starting to get better at comedy and it’s making lefties nervous.”

Comedy writer Stefan Heck got straight to the point. “Looks like shit,” he tweeted, echoing a wave of responses ranging from blunt mockery to ironic banter like “Big fan, love your network! Please post the comedy show clip, I’d love to see it!”

I don't know why but the right-wing has never been able to master comedy just as the left-wing hasn't been able to master talk shows based on lies and outrage. It's just true. I remember hearing Dennis Miller after he shifted to the right-wing. There was no snark, no biting satire, and no lines. It was just angry. It's like believing in the claptrap peddled by the right just kills any sense of humor somebody might have had before.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 HockeyDon

Mind blown...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3615 posts
  • LocationNew Britain, CT

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:33 AM

View PostLFC, on 24 April 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

Sounds like another crash and burn attempt at comedy brought to you by the Trump loving right-wingnuts. A few folks who actually know something about comedy made some comments that were actually, you know, funny.

I don't know why but the right-wing has never been able to master comedy just as the left-wing hasn't been able to master talk shows based on lies and outrage. It's just true. I remember hearing Dennis Miller after he shifted to the right-wing. There was no snark, no biting satire, and no lines. It was just angry. It's like believing in the claptrap peddled by the right just kills any sense of humor somebody might have had before.

The combination of bitterness and anger and fear are hard to meld into anything resembling funny. Not that any one of those alone can't be a device to deliver funny (see Lewis Black), but the right-wing's unique emotional state absolutely prohibits funny coming out of it.
Well, fuck.

How can I be expected to distinguish BS from reality when so much of my reality is utter BS?!

"There seems to be a lot of people dying of ignorance while living in the information age." my sister-in-law.

#3 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9292 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 27 April 2019 - 07:16 AM

A sense of humor requires the ability to accept that the joke is on you.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#4 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1545 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:01 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 27 April 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

A sense of humor requires the ability to accept that the joke is on you.
Or self loathing. These authoritarians cannot conceive of it. They only loathe others. If they had a moment of clarity with regard to themselves, they'd probably go catatonic.
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

#5 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9292 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:41 PM

View PostBeelzebuddy, on 29 April 2019 - 11:01 AM, said:

Or self loathing. These authoritarians cannot conceive of it. They only loathe others. If they had a moment of clarity with regard to themselves, they'd probably go catatonic.

Bobbie Burns had it slightly off, eh?
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#6 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4723 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:20 PM

Beelzebuddy, on 29 April 2019 - 11:01 AM, said:

That's where locking someone in a pillory with a basketful of overripe tomatoes for the crowd to throw comes in handy.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#7 Beelzebuddy

Convenient Target of Irrational Fears

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1545 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

D. C. Sessions, on 29 April 2019 - 08:41 PM, said:

Bobbie Burns had it slightly off, eh?
The Robert Burns? Which bit?
Fear Sells!

Cui bono?

"The real problem of humanity is the following: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and god-like technology." - EO Wilson.

#8 D. C. Sessions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9292 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:58 AM

Beelzebuddy, on 30 April 2019 - 10:12 AM, said:

The Robert Burns? Which bit?

“O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!

There are those who I think would not find it a gift.
— Nate Silver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users