#21 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1752 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:19 AM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 10 April 2019 - 08:06 PM, said:

I should think not. News coverage is another matter though.
Once upon a time, I remember hearing that “correct” journalistic style dictated that only M.D.s and the like were to be referred to in reporting as “Dr.” OTOH, Ph.D.s mentioned were to be referred to as “Mr./Ms.” So, in the papers, my M.D. buddy gets named as “Dr. Miller,” or “S.B. Miller, M.D.”, whereas I would simply be “Ms. PhD” or “B. PhD”

That said, like baw1064, I rarely (I can think of one time in the last decade!) refer to myself as “Dr. PhD”. I don’t think I’ve even been addressed as “Dr. PhD” in some years.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#22 baw1064

formerly of the public sector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4819 posts
  • LocationEarthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanos--oh my!

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:46 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 12 April 2019 - 11:19 AM, said:

Once upon a time, I remember hearing that “correct” journalistic style dictated that only M.D.s and the like were to be referred to in reporting as “Dr.” OTOH, Ph.D.s mentioned were to be referred to as “Mr./Ms.” So, in the papers, my M.D. buddy gets named as “Dr. Miller,” or “S.B. Miller, M.D.”, whereas I would simply be “Ms. PhD” or “B. PhD”

That said, like baw1064, I rarely (I can think of one time in the last decade!) refer to myself as “Dr. PhD”. I don’t think I’ve even been addressed as “Dr. PhD” in some years.

Right now I'm organizing the schedule for a conference. Some of the speakers are MDs, some PhDs, some both, some neither. How to identify credentials in the program has been kind of an issue. We decided not to identify anyone as Dr. ___, but to list their degree(s) if they have a doctorate.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#23 D. C. Sessions

I don't have to pretend to be an adult any more

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9538 posts
  • LocationCentral New Mexico

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:18 PM

Once upon a time, I remember hearing that “correct” journalistic style dictated that only M.D.s and the like were to be referred to in reporting as “Dr.”

Well, that was at the NY Times at any rate and ISTR the AP followed.

Curiously, this is a 180-degree switch from not all that long ago. "Doctor" (or "Dottore") was once reserved for the people who were qualified to teach in the universities. In the 19th century, the assorted barbers, herbalists, and other quacks (i.e. everyone) got tired of the scholars having a restricted title and demanded that they, too, be called "doctor." Before you knew it, dentists, people coming out of a year or two at Bastyr, or one of the assorted chiroquactic joints were demanding equal treatment. They were successful enough that nobody seems to question the practice of a Bastyr grad being called "Doctor Quack" while Nobel laureates in everything but Medicine or Physiology (and then only the ones with MDs) are denied that recognition.
The way a lot of catastrophes happen is that X doesn't occur because there are safeguards in place, therefore people assume X isn't a worry and they remove the safeguards. Then X happens.
— Nate Silver
"Robots aren't the problem. Capitalism is." -- Last words of Stephen Hawking.
These days, "libertarian" is just a euphemism for a Nazi who's afraid to commit.
"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." -- Heather Heyer
"I'd rather have my child, but by golly, if I gotta give her up, we're gonna make it count." -- Her mother
"Your purpose, then, plainly stated, is that you will destroy the Government, unless you be allowed to construe and enforce the Constitution as you please, on all points in dispute between you and us. You will rule or ruin in all events." -- some RINO

#24 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5636 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:45 PM

View PostD. C. Sessions, on 12 April 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

Well, that was at the NY Times at any rate and ISTR the AP followed.

Curiously, this is a 180-degree switch from not all that long ago. "Doctor" (or "Dottore") was once reserved for the people who were qualified to teach in the universities. In the 19th century, the assorted barbers, herbalists, and other quacks (i.e. everyone) got tired of the scholars having a restricted title and demanded that they, too, be called "doctor." Before you knew it, dentists, people coming out of a year or two at Bastyr, or one of the assorted chiroquactic joints were demanding equal treatment. They were successful enough that nobody seems to question the practice of a Bastyr grad being called "Doctor Quack" while Nobel laureates in everything but Medicine or Physiology (and then only the ones with MDs) are denied that recognition.

The history is interesting. Lawyers are doctors too. Juris Doctorate or Doctor of Jurisprudence. I worked personal injury defense and dealt with lots of doctors charging fees for us to take their depositions. My head partner was always pissed when a chiropractor wanted the same fee as an orthopedist. He always refused to refer to a chiropractor as Doctor unless the chiropractor called him Doctor too, which never happened.

#25 pnwguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1701 posts
  • LocationPortlandia

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:58 PM

A friend of mine holds a Eng.D. degree (Doctor of Engineering) instead of a Ph.D. in engineering (biomechanical). It was what UC Davis offered at the time, but it confuses students and faculty alike. She teaches in New Zealand now, but I'm not sure if it's any less confusing there than it was here.
"All glory to the HypnoTrump, or else..."

"It all makes sense when you remind yourself that the GOP is no longer a political party but turned into an organized crime family"

"I hope to live long enough that the name Trump is reviled as much as the name Hitler or Stalin"

#26 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1752 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:43 PM

View Postbaw1064, on 12 April 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

Right now I'm organizing the schedule for a conference. Some of the speakers are MDs, some PhDs, some both, some neither. How to identify credentials in the program has been kind of an issue. We decided not to identify anyone as Dr. ___, but to list their degree(s) if they have a doctorate.
Some of the author lists in certain medical journals can be mind-numbing, unless that degree listing ends at the MD/PhD level: X, MD, PhD; Y, MPH; A, PhD; Z, MS; B, MD...

Good Luck with that conference.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#27 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4819 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:28 PM

View PostBact PhD, on 12 April 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

Good Luck with that conference.

Thank you!
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” --Dr. Seuss

#28 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4819 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:29 PM

By the way, this video is a good explanation of what exactly we're seeing in the image and why it looks like it does.

https://www.youtube....h?v=zUyH3XhpLTo

#29 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4819 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:19 PM

Well, depressingly (but not unexpectedly), Dr. Bouman is a target of sexist trolls.

Fortunately, many (including one of her male colleagues) are pushing back.

https://www.huffpost...4b098b9a2d2bb5d

#30 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28071 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:09 AM

View Postbaw1064, on 12 April 2019 - 09:19 PM, said:

Well, depressingly (but not unexpectedly), Dr. Bouman is a target of sexist trolls.

Poor little incels. Can't have women who both reject them sexually but also outperform them intellectually.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#31 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13034 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:44 AM

From the NYT's FAQ on style:

Who’s a Dr.?

Our continued use of courtesy titles — increasingly rare in the news media — prompts many questions. Rules on the use of “Dr.” in particular can lead to confusion, for readers and unfortunately sometimes for our writers. Here’s our stylebook entry:

Dr. should be used in all references for physicians and dentists whose practice is their primary current occupation, or who work in a closely related field, like medical writing, research or pharmaceutical manufacturing: Dr. Alex E. Baranek; Dr. Baranek; the doctor. (Those who practice only incidentally, or not at all, should be called Mr., Ms., Miss or Mrs.)

Anyone else with an earned doctorate, like a Ph.D. degree, may request the title, but only if it is germane to the holder’s primary current occupation (academic, for example, or laboratory research). For a Ph.D., the title should appear only in second and later references. The holder of a Ph.D. or equivalent degree may also choose not to use the title.

https://afterdeadlin.../faqs-on-style/
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#32 baw1064

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4819 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:24 PM

Caltech just posted a video of an hour-long presentation that Dr. Bouman gave on campus (she officially joins the faculty on June 1).

I'm sharing it because 1) she's awesome 2) the longer time allows a more relaxed explanation of the scientific background 3) because she's only been working in this field for a short time, she's maybe better at explaining it to the uninitiated 4) you can't watch too many cool science videos!

https://www.youtube....h?v=UGL_OL3OrCE

I particularly like the focus on avoiding bias in the image reconstruction--how do you know that you aren't doing things in such a way that you will see what you're expecting, whether it's actually what's really there?

It would be a good thing if people in other fields also took such pains to guard against confirmation bias...just saying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users