3 replies to this topic

#1 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29836 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

Clearly they have zero faith in Trump as anything but an idiot and a danger. Trump, being Trump, tries the old "Yeah, well that's what I wanted anyway" ploy but looking at his foreign policy picks that rings pretty hollow.

NATO partners quietly agreed to postpone their chief’s departure from his role in order to prevent Donald Trump from choosing the successor, according to the Times of London. Last week, Jens Stoltenberg was reconfirmed as secretary-general of NATO for another three years. Most NATO heads don’t stay longer than five years in the role, but if Stoltenberg completes the extended term he’ll have been there for eight. Two sources told the newspaper that the partners had worked to push back the debate over Stoltenberg’s successor until after 2020 election—in the hope that Trump will no longer be U.S. president and have no influence on the selection. One source said the extension was to stop Trump from “meddling” in the process, while the other said: “There was a feeling it would be better to push it past the presidential election.” Trump said Tuesday that he wanted Stoltenberg reappointed, saying: “He’s done an excellent job and when it came time to renew... I had no doubt in my mind who I wanted.”

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#2 J-CA

Probably in one of my drunken stupors..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4768 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:54 PM

I can only imagine the kind of moron Trump would nominate to that position, I can imagine a "personal doctor as surgeon general" type scenario all over again.
I am the burrito until someone hands me to a philosopher.

#3 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29836 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:18 PM

View PostJ-CA, on 03 April 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

I can only imagine the kind of moron Trump would nominate to that position, I can imagine a "personal doctor as surgeon general" type scenario all over again.

I wonder if Bolton would have wanted the job just to destroy the organization from within, the same way he wanted to destroy America' relationship with the U.N.
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#4 Rich T Bikkies

Trainee Basil Fawlty. Practising Victor Meldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4358 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:19 AM

View PostLFC, on 03 April 2019 - 04:18 PM, said:

I wonder if Bolton would have wanted the job just to destroy the organization from within, the same way he wanted to destroy America' relationship with the U.N.

Bolton strikes me as a really scary person. Intelligent (nay, brilliant!), articulate and proactive. Most unusual in a person with such corrosively crazy ideas. No good as a possible POTUS (from the POV of the current Republican Party) because the likes of McConnell (or Putin?) couldn't control him. But just consider what he could accomplish in the White House!

Netanyahu strikes me as a similar type, every time I see him interviewed. But Bolton is (European Soccer) Champions League; Netanyahu is merely on the level of (England) Premier League—but damaging enough for my taste.
Reality is a hallucination caused by alcohol deprivation.

Only Satan can rebuke sin. The righteous don't know enough.

God is not dead. He was merely voted out of office.

You can do anything with anybody if you just save them the trouble of thinking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users