41 replies to this topic

#41 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7176 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 17 October 2020 - 12:44 PM

Wow I've seen some baseball driven parents up close because the high school my son went to has 4 fairly recent graduates playing in the "Bigs" but this article on niche sports parents shows a whole 'nother level of crazy. At least my little suburb wasn't filled with really well off people who wanted their kids in Ivy League schools and think squash and fencing are the way to get there... It turns out that Ivies want people with super duper grades too. So the kids are under super duper pressure to perform well in both arenas and even if they succeed, they still don't make it.

#42 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2637 posts
  • LocationDrifting on the Exxon Covid

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:35 PM

Holy freaking shit! It really IS insane!

Oddly enough, my parochial school in South FL had an avid squash player in the early 1980s...and that was the last time I heard of anyone playing squash for ages. It isn’t a thing around here, even (AFAIK) in the private school set Dear Son & I are running around with these days. Fencing? Although there is a fencing academy here, I only knew of one mom who went that route with her offspring, nobody in my current set.

Lacrosse got a solid foothold here about a dozen years ago; Dear Son’s school sends off 1-2 scholarship players a year, but nobody to the likes of the Ivies or Stanford AFAIK. However, so does our far less populated baseball team—both of our 2020 graduates are playing D-II ball. The last alum to make MLB was in the late 1970s, I believe. This year’s roster has 3 seniors, and it will be interesting to see how things shake out.

Water polo?? One of Dear Son’s buddies does it at club (momma was a collegiate swimmer), and there has been some agitation about getting programs into the local high schools. That idea may have been shelved owing to pandemic-induced budget constraints.

Although there is a bit of pressure to succeed both academically and athletically, at Dear Son’s school I don’t get the sense of Ivies/Stanford or Bust. If anything, the counselors spend lots of time talking people down from various ledges.
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

The trouble is that editors and their journalists are simply employees of large profit-seeking corporations whose executives have no idea of what "truth" is; only "ratings" or "clicks" or share price. ~Rich T Bikkies, 10/1/2020

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users