#21 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:54 AM

Some thoughts about this (unsurprising) development:

Yep. As indy notes, the wealthy (and merely monied) have been scamming for their children for decades.

Anybody remember the 90's, when entire communities in Virginia had something crazy like 70% of all boys, 13 and older, diagnosed as ADHD? That was a total scam, to get their offspring more time on the SATs. Time was, you knew exactly when your child needed the diagnosis to get the privilege. By 8th grade, I think.

Anybody know a person who used a bit of "ethnic" designation, to vault ahead of other candidates? I do. A son of a good friend. The whitest of white- a great kid, for sure, but waitlisted at his dream school, Notre Dame. Connections (from his godfather, a former QB at ND) got him the opportunity to "add" anything that might make a difference. PRESTO- He was 1/8th Spanish, from his paternal grandmother. It was just enough...

Anybody know about the child CEO/charity scam? Unfortunately, I know this one all too well- have seen it in action too often. A parent starts a company- often a "charity", but sometimes for-profit. Sets it all up. Runs it (usually into the ground, but Universities rarely look back at that), makes it seem as though their kiddo is running it. Damn, but doesn't that turn a U's head. They go this far: A medical clinic in a 3rd world country set up and their 17 year old is the brain-mistress. As soon as she was accepted into her choice of medical school, all resources were pulled from that area. Sick.

Or? You utilize "Shark Tank"- your kiddo is so very impressive, that they get an offer. Of course, most of those never go through, on the backside, but it doesn't matter- your kiddo gets to tell the story of "winning" Shark Tank. And that has gotten more than one into their school of choice. It's not just for the bachelors. I know of one who gained acceptance into Wharton School, with this scam. Remember- no money was ever actually given, after the due diligence portion, after TV. It happens more than you think.

I could go on, but it embarrasses me that I know folks like this. But it's important for people to understand what an uneven playing field their children sometimes compete against. I still fist-pump with my niece. NO money around her, and still Presidential scholarships to make her bachelor's degree debt free- great school. Great law school acceptances, and good GOD. She just went through the most stressful process of filling out all the paper work, to gain her financial packages. And she'll get it, anywhere she chooses to go.

More- but this was a BIG block of ink...
Every woman needs a blowtorch.
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
“A republic,” Franklin said, “if you can keep it.”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

--- "Write hard and clear about what hurts"
Ernest Hemingway

#22 indy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9089 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:04 AM

I would note that there is perhaps a little bit of a qualitative difference between the very rich and this latest, not-quite-as-rich scheme. In the case of the one or two a year admitted for multi-million donations to Harvard, Harvard can just increase the class size by a couple to compensate, and nobody else is (potentially) being crowded out. In this scheme, that's not the case. These spots would go to other kids who had the potential these children lack.

#23 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:23 AM

Yes and no. It is ironic that collegiate athletics would get into this, but then I thought- why not? The scrutiny just isn't there, and yes- it is disgusting. But it is truly a drop in the bucket. The rest? You never really see, but it happens all the time.

To the situation at hand: At first, I thought it a bit unfair to "name and shame" the famous. Easy targets. I still want to know about the person who "invested" 6.5 million in this scam. Not enough to buy a building, but really. Show some restraint. And then, of course, we see that Lori Loughlin's daughter fell not far from the POS tree. My- a minor social media star who has already told people that school isn't her thing. Got HUGE marketplaces to do things like decorate her dorm room etc. She's always been hopeful that she can "talk to the Dean" and make her way. Not really into "school" but wants the game day stuff. Gag...

Mr. has a perfect punishment for all these parents. Convict them, surely. But defer the adjudication for at least 5 years. Each of those years, you will be responsible for paying the 4 year tuition for a "bubble" student. All the way through. No matter what happens, you will be responsible. Oh my- a little Draconian, but I like it better than jail
---Julia Child

--- On September 17, 1787, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the deliberations of the Constitutional Convention, at Independence Hall, in Philadelphia, a woman called out to him, saying, “Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”

--- LFC, on Gorsuch ruling: "Awesome. A Christianist who swore an oath to uphold the laws of the nation and bore false witness when he did it"

Ernest Hemingway

#24 Practical Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:30 AM

One last thing- UT tennis coach (Mr. Center) has been fired, for his participation. Please laugh at this:

Some in the Austin/UT system actually think this is cool. FINALLY. UT is mentioned among the "elite". Fun article is Ken Herman- Austin Statesman's snarkist-in-chief. "We're Texas- We're Elite*"

"* So designated by Federal prosecutors."

When you find the article ( not quite out there, yet) do note that there is an attorney and a person or two who actually agree with this sentiment.
---Julia Child

Ernest Hemingway

#25 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5537 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:36 AM

Yes! Mr Practical Girl is on to the right punishment. It isn't draconian. It's making the punishment commensurate with the crime.

#26 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:13 AM

More details on the "charity" used to make all this happen. There are also details about sports programs used as an "in".

Personally I never understood why playing a sport allowed academically lesser candidates to jump ahead of the line. I've known both students and teachers that have had some involvement with sports programs and they've spoken about how they consume student time like nobody's business, often in violation of collegiate sports rules. They provide special help to lagging students and drag them through joke courses. One former math professor I worked with said he gave up when he failed a sports star for doing virtually nothing which would have killed his eligibility. The F the student earned was "somehow" changed to a C but the administration. It seems like a huge mess, none of which has anything to do with actual academics. (Of course the most popular teams can bring in a buttload of money for the college which is why athletes with crap grades get into schools they have no business attending.)
" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

"The 'Road to Serfdom' is really all right turns." --Progressive Whisperer

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#27 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5537 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:00 PM

View PostLFC, on 14 March 2019 - 11:13 AM, said:

More details on the "charity" used to make all this happen. There are also details about sports programs used as an "in".

Personally I never understood why playing a sport allowed academically lesser candidates to jump ahead of the line. I've known both students and teachers that have had some involvement with sports programs and they've spoken about how they consume student time like nobody's business, often in violation of collegiate sports rules. They provide special help to lagging students and drag them through joke courses. One former math professor I worked with said he gave up when he failed a sports star for doing virtually nothing which would have killed his eligibility. The F the student earned was "somehow" changed to a C but the administration. It seems like a huge mess, none of which has anything to do with actual academics. (Of course the most popular teams can bring in a buttload of money for the college which is why athletes with crap grades get into schools they have no business attending.)

Scholarship football players lived in the dorm that my son lived in freshman year at a PAC 12 school with a highly ranked team (at the time). My son said they were generally nice guys but they didn't go to class fall semester. They were enrolled in some sort of tutoring like stuff about once a week and not many of those. He wonders whatever happened to them...none of them was drafted to NFL. Graduation??? Who knows?

#28 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:35 PM

Looks like some who broke the rules are losing some of their gold.

The Hallmark Channel cut ties Thursday with favored star Lori Loughlin, a day after her arrest in a college admissions scam put the family-friendly network and extended Hallmark brand in uncomfortable proximity to a headline-grabbing scandal.

“We are saddened by the recent allegations surrounding the college admissions process,” Hallmark Cards Inc., parent company of the Crown Media Family Networks umbrella group that includes the Hallmark Channel, said in a statement.

“We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin” and have stopped development of all productions with the actress for Crown Media channels, the statement said.

The company initially took a wait-and-see approach after a federal investigation of the scam involving more than 30 parents, many of them prominent, was revealed Tuesday. Loughlin and her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, are accused of paying bribes to gain their daughters’ college admissions.

Loughlin’s career and the Hallmark Channel were deeply intertwined. She’s been among its so-called “Christmas queens” who topline a slate of popular holiday movies, and also starred in the ongoing “Garage Sale Mysteries” movies and the series “When Calls the Heart.”

“It’s a feel-good, family values-type channel, and obviously scandal is the opposite of that,” said Atlanta-based market strategist Laura Ries.

There was more at stake than image. “When Calls the Heart” tapes in Canada, and a judge ordered Loughlin’s passport to be surrendered in December after grudgingly allowing her to cross the border for work until then.

" 'Individual conscience' means that women only get contraceptives if their employers, their physicians, their pharmacists, their husbands and/or fathers, pastors, and possibly their mayors, Governors, State Secretaries of Health, Congressmen, Senators, and President all agree that in that particular case they're justifiable." --D.C. Sessions

"That's the problem with being implacable foes - no one has any incentive to treat you as anything more than an obstacle to be overcome."

""The GOP ... where every accusation is also a confession." --Progressive Whisperer

#29 Bact PhD

Frustrated, Thoughtful Independent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1726 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:59 PM

View Postgolden_valley, on 14 March 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

Scholarship football players lived in the dorm that my son lived in freshman year at a PAC 12 school with a highly ranked team (at the time). My son said they were generally nice guys but they didn't go to class fall semester. They were enrolled in some sort of tutoring like stuff about once a week and not many of those. He wonders whatever happened to them...none of them was drafted to NFL. Graduation??? Who knows?

I'll submit a couple of student-athlete anecdotes.

Dear Daughter attends a D-II school. Although like GV's son, the football players were in the same dorm building as the regular students freshman year, she recalls seeing very little of them in her actual classes, even the Gen Eds that one would expect to encounter a broader cross-section of the campus community in (we're talking a campus of <1,500 students). However, in her estimation it wasn't the football players who were the worst behaved: That dubious honor went to the members of the lacrosse team, with a special (dis-)Honorable Mention for baseball players.

In my community, the athletics (especially football and men's basketball) at our local friendly D-I, SEC institution pretty much rule the place. Even more interestingly, a couple of years ago it was newsworthy that a member of the team (a little-used reserve) was actually pre-med and bagging groceries part-time. IIRC he is in med school, probably about to go through Match Day(?). Another newsworthy exception was the basketball player (with a famous last name) who transferred here on the grad transfer rule because he was pursuing the field of nuclear physics. :o Point being, I don't exactly expect every D-1 athlete to be studying pre-med or mechanical engineering, but howzabout a few more of them studying actual majors, say, marketing or sociology?

A former boss of mine has a son who, back a decade ago, was a half-decent HS baseball player, but not quite D-1 recruitment material. Interestingly enough, they went the D-III route, figuring they had the $ to pay the fare (not absurdly wealthy, though, AFAIK), and they were more concerned about his graduating. He played sparingly as a freshman, messed up his shoulder the following winter, and was off the team shortly thereafter. He graduated and went on to get a Master's, I forget what in.

As far as Dear Son goes, although he has aspirations, we shall see--I'm not exactly rushing to prepare the highlight video just yet. ;)
Politics these days is show business. Elections are Dancing with the Stars with consequences. ~Rue Bella

(About fame) Living for likes, shares and follows is a form of validation. The question is whether it is also the source of our self esteem. If it is, we’re screwed. And, culturally, it seems as if it’s become more and more our shared value. ... Meringue is no longer a sweet and pretty topping but the body itself. ~Charles Perez

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816. ME 14:384, via LFC, 12/1/2016

Competent people go in one of a few directions. But incompetence is infinite. ~David Brooks, NY Times

#30 AnBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12853 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:48 PM

Posted Image
Pray for Trump: Psalm 109:8

"Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers arc in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

— Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

— H.L. Mencken
On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”

— Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Second inaugural address January, 1937

#31 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:39 PM

TDB reports on another type of college admission cheating.

For the ultra-rich, big contributions might get their name on a science building and their offspring a spot at a top-tier school—an option California Gov. Gavin Newsom recently called “legal bribery.” Even the moderately wealthy can grease the admissions process with extensive SAT tutoring or, more problematically, college application essay editing.

In the admissions process, there’s a high premium on the personal statement, a 500-word essay submitted through the Common Application, about some foible or lesson, which aims to give readers a better sense of the student than, say, a standardized test score. More than one university and advising blog rank the essay among the “most important” aspects of the process; one consultant writing in The New York Times described it as “the purest part of the application.”

But while test scores are completed by the student alone—barring bribed proctors, that is—any number of people can alter an essay before submission, opening it up to exploitation and less-than-pure tactics at the hands of helicopter parents or expensive college-prep counselors who cater to the 1 percent.

In interviews with The Daily Beast, eight college application tutors shed light on the economy of editing, altering, and, at times, outright rewriting personal statements. The essay editors, who agreed to speak on the condition of anonymity since many still work in their field, painted the portrait of an industry rife with ethical hazards, where the line between helping and cheating can become difficult to draw.

#32 andydp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3661 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY near Albany

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

In interviews with The Daily Beast, eight college application tutors shed light on the economy of editing, altering, and, at times, outright rewriting personal statements. The essay editors, who agreed to speak on the condition of anonymity since many still work in their field, painted the portrait of an industry rife with ethical hazards, where the line between helping and cheating can become difficult to draw.

Based on some of the writing of posts on FB and longer articles from other sites, today's writers need help. Face it (FB excluded) if someone writes a long article with footnotes and annotations there should be some decent spelling and grammar. Prepare for disappointment.

I can see why colleges need to have Freshman "remedial" courses in writing, and why editors are needed for the application.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Rev Martin Luther King Jr.

Obamacare took my guns away and put me in a FEMA reeducation camp.

Anonymous

If you've got public schools paid for by taxpayers, you're in a socialist nation. If you have public roads paid for by taxpayers, socialist nation. If you've got public defense (police, fire, military, coast guard) paid for by tax dollars, socialist nation. If you're in a nation that has nationalized or localized delivery of services that are not paid for by users alone, you're in a socialist nation- the only question is how socialist. As I see it, we have the military pay to protecting the shipping lanes for our fuel needs which makes up very socialist. In a capitalist nation, the people supplying the oil would pay for their own defense force.

DC Coronata

#33 golden_valley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5537 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:41 PM

I think "online" writing is generally pretty poor because people write hurriedly and off the cuff. They are reacting rather than thinking and that shows in the writing.

That being said, my husband has noted that young lawyers don't write as well as they once did. (Get off his lawn!) He attributes it to cut and paste style research that bleeds over into writing and general lack of practice in writing throughout their schooling. This isn't applicable to all young lawyers, some are quite good.

#34 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:07 PM

Posted Image

#35 LFC

Fiscal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27480 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:38 AM

Lori Loughlin decided to fight it out in court. I read an analysis that basically said that any deal would have likely been completely hands off concerning the kids and any court fight could put the kids at risk. Looks like they were right. I'm not sure what the calculus was in pleading not guilty when two daughters are potentially at risk.

Just days after Lori Loughlin pleaded not guilty in the college admissions bribery scam, media reports suggest one of her daughters could be next to face a criminal probe.

Loughlin and her designer husband Mossimo Giannulli are each accused of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering after allegedly paying $500,000 for each of their daughters to be USC rowing recruits despite neither being active in the sport. Each count carries a maximum 20-year prison term.

Their eldest daughter, Isabella Giannulli, 20, deleted her popular Instagram account late Wednesday just as reports surfaced that she received a formal letter from prosecutors that could lead to potential charges.

The Daily Mail reports that Loughlin’s daughter received a letter of intent from federal prosecutors in Massachusetts in early April as part of the ongoing Operation Varsity Blues investigation. Last week, the Wall Street Journal also reported that several students had received ‘target letters’ from federal investigators in cases where the student may have been complicit.

Several students whose parents are accused of buying or bribing officials to ensure their children’s college admission have been suspended, but so far none have been criminally charged.

The Daily Mail, quoting an unnamed source, reported that Loughlin’s daughter had received a letter. “It is a not-so-veiled threat. [The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts] is making it pretty clear that they have evidence that very strongly suggests she knew of the illegal plot.”

Loughlin’s younger daughter Olivia Jade, 19, who is also implicated in the ordeal, still has her very popular Instagram account up though she has not posted anything since Feb. 28.

This week the famous couple rejected a plea bargain that would have potentially kept them from serving jail time in exchange for a guilty plea. An associate of Loughlin told CNN that she felt she had to plead not guilty.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users